iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

potato pancakes

Started by northwoods1, March 21, 2011, 02:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northwoods1

Thought I would make some up for breakfast as it has been a while.  I just grate up a few good sized peeled potatoes and a small to medium sized onion. I like it grated up fine and I have a little food processor that does the trick. Add an egg and enough flour to thicken. I like the batter thin. With the thin batter they get crispy on the outside. I fry them in a big cast iron skillet with just a little oil and when I take them out I set them on a paper grocery bag. Took out a jar of applesauce I had canned last fall and fried up a big thick piece of ham to go along with them.
I just finished off the last of them for lunch boy they are good...
I like them with real maple syrup too but I have been out of that for a while :D

Patty

Boy does that sound GOOD!!   8)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Raider Bill

Are the potatoes raw or pre cooked?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Texas Ranger

Have not had potato pancakes since the '50's (years, not age) sounds like a test coming up.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Burlkraft

Wow Northwoods you cook too?

You outta make some girl a fine husband  :) :)

Between loggin, artifact collectin', gun buildin' and everything else, I can't believe you ain't already married  ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

SwampDonkey

It's got to be good if it has a potato in it. ;D

Sounds like a hash brown to me though.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

I am going to give that a go, will need to omit the ognon as they do not agry with me any.  :)

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Burlkraft on March 21, 2011, 04:42:47 PM
Wow Northwoods you cook too?

You outta make some girl a fine husband  :) :)

Between loggin, artifact collectin', gun buildin' and everything else, I can't believe you ain't already married  ;D

:D :D Reminds me of that Jerry Reid song I hear a dozen times a day on the radio about his divorce and things were going a little rough.

One of the lines was, "Why didn't I just learn to cook" :D I laugh at that guy's songs. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Least he not spoiling it with some grits.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Texas Ranger

You just need to try some good old home made cheese grits.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WDH

I scream for ice cream, and thecfarm screams for grits!  "NO !@#$%@#!!"
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

:D   :D   ;D   ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

northwoods1

Quote from: Raider Bill on March 21, 2011, 03:35:53 PM
Are the potatoes raw or pre cooked?

Raider you use raw potatoes. Google potato pancakes and there should be a lot of recipes. Near me here in WI there is a restaurant, just a small town diner really, you can go there anytime and they always have all you can eat potato pancakes. People come from all over to get them. They are one of those things you can eat for any meal.

Swampdonkey they are nothing like hash browns the potatoes should be real fine, it is almost like making a regular pancake with flour made out of potatoes. Isawlogs, I don't know what you could do about not liking the onions, for me they are a real important part of the art of making potato pancakes :D maybe you could try a little onion powder in them just to get the flavor, or maybe that is what you don't like? But anyway, I think a potato pancake without the onion would just not be right :o

I like Jerry Reid and grits too.

isawlogs

It sure aint cause I don't like them , I really do, they taste good......Its that I get sick with them, they will keep me awake all night and if you knew me that is quite the feat  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

northwoods1

Quote from: isawlogs on March 22, 2011, 05:58:12 PM

It sure aint cause I don't like them , I really do, they taste good......Its that I get sick with them, they will keep me awake all night and if you knew me that is quite the feat  ;)

There is a few things that will do the same for me. I can't hardly drink coffee anymore for one thing... it just don't agree with me.... and let me tell you, I liked coffee!

SwampDonkey

You can also make bread out of potatoes, so I'm with ya. ;D

I eat 3 or 4 onions a week, buy'm by the sack full. ;D Every time I cook a piece of meat I need onions. mmm ;D

isawlogs

I pretty well has resigned to subsitute garlic for oignons, I really like garlic so it is not a big substitute. I have some that I grow here and they have some kick to um :)

Marcel

cinnabar

northwoods1,
Thanks for reminding me of these, been a while. We had them tonight with chokecherry syrup, maple syrup and apple butter.  Not sure which of the toppings I liked best.  Along with some maple smoked bacon,. mmmm...  you can't beat'em.  Now when it thaws out enough so the walking onions are up, they will make a nice addition to the pancakes.
cinnabar

Magicman

Welcome cinnabar, to the Forestry Forum.  I enjoyed seeing your old logging picture.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Me to cinnabar nice rail road logging picture. :)

Thank You Sponsors!