iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tick Time

Started by Cedarman, March 21, 2011, 07:31:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cedarman

For those of us that work in the woods or anyone that just gets off the pavement or has a pet that does, it is tick time.
There are at least 4 diseases that get you seriously sick or kill you.
Lyme,
Babesiosis,
Ehrlichiosis,
Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever
And you can get several of these diseases from the same tick bite.
Do what you can to keep them off:  spray
Do a body check at least once a day.
Monitor a tick bite
And if you get sick make sure your doc knows about all 4 diseases.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

isawlogs

When I read this kind threads , it makes me feel good to live where I do. ( Not to saye that you guys are in a bad situation  ;) ) I have other issues to deal with, but not having ticks or very little of them makes me feel good. Skeeters and deer/horse flies are anoying but can be delt with.

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

thecfarm

When we first built a house here,10 years ago, we did not have any ticks.My FIL would have a fit about ticks when he would come here with his dog. We live out in the country so we must have them,according to him.  ::)  He would always look but never found any. He found more on his dogs where he lives than we did on our dog. Sure is differant now. Still not as bad as where he lives,but we have found them on our dog.Need to get the tick stuff on him too. Like to get it on early so it has a chance to work before the ticks really start to move around alot.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

John Mc

Don't forget Anaplasmosis.

Not very common, but it's no fun. A friend has had it once, and his dog has had it several times. His dog is such a regular with it, that he carries a descriptin with him, and a note from his vet if he's ever traveling with his dog (no one seems to have heard of it, and it's tough to diagnose).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Tom

I have a chronic case of "Off" disease that is commonly associated with Tick, or its synonym, irk;  becoming the most inflamed around an Election time.  The worse cases, infrequently experienced, are when I am put in a position of having to suffer fools.

Fortunately my measurement of a fool is left to my own perspective.

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

chain

I picked two dog ticks off my neck last week, but watch out for those seed ticks later! At times you can just brush against a bush and be covered with hundreds, they're tough to get off even before they latch on. I found strong deet will kill them, but I use a number of things from lye soap with catnip, to permanone, rubbing alcohol; I don't want to just run them off. Kill them!

Years ago I had what doctors 'thought' could be Lyme disease. Two 10 day stays in the hospital, a fever every day, joints swollen, sore everywhere like arthritis, several other symptoms, my left foot swollen two sizes and took nearly a year to actually get over the disease. Lost thirty pounds and was getting around with a cane. Ticks are no joke. >:(

Burlkraft

Rhino has been havin' a hard time gettin' around. We were at the vet last week and she tested positive twice for limes.

Got a great big bottle of antibiotics.  I have seen some improvement over the last couple a days.

I feel sorry for the old girl, I know how she feels  :-\ :-\
Why not just 1 pain free day?

ohsoloco

Found the first tick of the year on my dog Maya yesterday.  I've been expecting them  :(  Last year I bought a "tick twister" at the vets office for around five bucks.  Works like a charm.

CX3

Speaking of ticks I got 3 on me today.  They werent real big ones, must have been yearlings
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

doctorb

I am sure you woodsmen know this, but Lyme disease is carried by the deer tick, which, as an adult, is the size of the head of a pin.  If you've got a "bulls-eye" rash, that's Lymes disease and you can get sick as heck.  lymes is very common these days, not so much Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and the others.

I am concerned that Canada will not be "tick-free" forever with global warming.  Need to keep an eye on the most northern range of ticks.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

magicmikey

doctorb, I am a couple hundred miles north of the border. The ticks will be waking up next month. They inhabit the semi-arid interior of south central B.C.
mike

Magicman

I found one crawling and looking for a home last week after I handled a raccoon that I had trapped.  Yup, they are out there.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

John Mc

Quote from: doctorb on March 21, 2011, 10:41:32 PM
I am concerned that Canada will not be "tick-free" forever with global warming.  Need to keep an eye on the most northern range of ticks.

We had ticks here in Vermont when I moved here 11 years ago, but nothing like we have today. Lyme's disease was almost non-existent then. The only times our vet had seen any Lymes cases was when someone traveled with their dog out of state. Now, Lyme's is common in dogs, and humans are getting it with increasing frequency.

One of the things cited as causing to the greater number of ticks and higher incidence of Lymes: invasive forest plant species, particularly Japanese Barberry - apparently this makes ideal mouse habitat, and small mammals such as mice are important hosts for part of that particular tick's life cycle.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

doctorb

magicmikey and John Mc-

Good info.  We vaca in southern Ontario about an hour north of the border at the Thousand Island crossing.  Our yellow lab has yet to have any ticks on him when we are up there.  It may be that, since he spends his whole time in the water, that they are less likely to have time to take hold.  However, since he rarely puts his head under, I would think we should see a few if they are there.  He did have a porcupine "bite" him while he was there though. :D  I worry about it more each summer.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Burlkraft

I have seen ticks on logs in the middle of winter.

Under the bark on one oak tree under the bark there was a whole pile of 'em herded up for the winter
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Tom

Ticks, and other vermin, were once kept at a minimum in the Southeast with a Fire regimen. We no longer burn like we used to do.   What is the alternative?

Fla._Deadheader

When I had "Tick fever", my old country doctor called it "Tularemia" or "Rabbit fever". Might check the medical terms and see if it cross links to a different name.

Old doctor had passed and, the new younger doctor had NEVER heard of any such thing. I had to tell him how to treat it.

I've seen 3 down here, so far.

Diving for logs, in coffee colored water, surrounded by gators is NOTHING compared to my fear of a tick.  ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

northwoods1

We are just finding the 1st ticks of the season here too. I had never seen a deer tick until 7-8 yrs. ago and now finding them is commonplace in certain areas. Lymes disease is fairly common in both people and pets but is most likely under diagnosed. One of my dogs tested positive for Ehrlichiosis a couple years ago and I have been treating her with Doxacycline as required. A couple years ago I had suspected that I had a case of Lymes because I was having the typical symptoms. I knew I had gotten bitten by deer ticks and over a course of 3 days I began having severe muscle and joint pain to the point I knew something was not right. I did not have the typical bullseye rash which so often described. I started myself on doxacycline (which I am hate to do, I am very reluctant to take any sort of antibiotic) and within 12 hours I felt 100% better. The antibiotics are the answer for all these tick borne diseases. If let untreated Lymes disease can become a very serious problem and even lead to death. It attacks every part of the body including the nervous system. The antibiotics do not totally kill the spirochetes however since they become lodged in every part of your body head to toe and the antibiotics simply can not effectively kill them 100%, once you have had it you can have a relapse, and I have also had that occur. In that case you need to start up on the antibiotics again. I have had relapses several times and in each case it was after I had been working very strenously, 2 times in the rain, and I over stressed myself.
This year in addition to applying Frontline to my dogs I will be applying a topical repellent to them as well. Also to my horses. Since the mouse is a very important part of the life cycle of the deer tick controlling their population is important. Like Docb said the adult deer tick is the size of the dot of an "I" in standard new print. But the larva, which emerge in the fall of the year, are much smaller. The larva need to feed in the fall before hibernation and this is typically on a mouse. Then the next year they emerge as adults and will feed on anything they can get a hold of.

Coon

We have alot of ticks around here in Saskatchewan during the hot dry months of the year.  Last year was not too terribly bad for having ticks around because we had a cold wet summer/year.  We mainly have wood ticks here but do have deer ticks as well.  It wasn't till within the last ten years or so that we've had ticks of any amount.  A bit further south of us they've had em as long as I can remember. 

Around these parts during the hot part of summer we try to stay away from long tall grass without preventative measures and even then we still end up with the %^&*'s on us.  It's not fun to get lymes disease....

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

gary

Here is a good tick repellant. Orthro total kill dilluted with water 5 to 1. It is permathin. Spray it on your clothes and it will last for about 3 weeks. You will be able to see the ticks die as they walk on your clothes.

beenthere

If anyone wants to google it, the name is permethrin. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

northwoods1

Quote from: beenthere on March 22, 2011, 06:32:10 PM
If anyone wants to google it, the name is permethrin. :)

Right, and it is Ortho. And I would be very careful to dilute it way down as that is a lawn and garden insecticide. Permethrin is commonly found in a lot of repellents and things like pet flea and tick shampoo but it is not suitable for cats they can not tolerate the stuff at all.

gary

Diluting it to that amount makes it the same as other brands sold as tick repellant. It is not recommened for pets or to put it on your skin. Spray it on your clothes and let it dry before wearing.

H60 Hawk Pilot

I was at National Guard Summer (forgot name) Camp base in VA. I was there to evaluate a PA Guard Air Cav Troop for aircraft maintenance  My friend (Barry) was with me in Virgina as my co pilot from Ft. Bragg, NC.

We were there for four or five days and Barry really got sick and worst in worst. He went to see the (temp.) doctor for treatment. He gave him asprin and bed rest.  I checked on Barry in the afternoon and he was out of it with high fever.  Barry was laying face down on the bed with a river of sweat droplett's all over him and collected sweat forming in the vee of his spine.  I knew that he was in big trouble and asprin was not going to work. The temp. doctor was gone for the day. I called my commander at Ft. Fort Bragg.  He rushed a Blackhawk out of Bragg with a replacement pilot for Barry. When they returned to Bragg .. they landed the right at the hospital pad at Ft. Bragg and Barry was taken directly to the ER.

Barry had Rocky Mt. Spotted Fever, if one or two more days had gone bye..  Barry may have been in a struggle for his life (perhaps). He was hospitalized for 5 or 6 days as I recall. Afterwards.. he thanked me for looking out for him and getting him to the hospital ASAP... may have saved his life.

I have a limited knowledge of these tick carried dieases. From reading what is said here .. they are bad stuff and can but you in your grave. I gave the example of my friend Barry. He was in sorry shape with Rocky Mt. Spotted Fever.. it put a job on him and he was young man at he time.  

Avery
Case 1150B & IHC TD-340 Dozer's, IHC 4WD 3800 & CAT 436B Hoe's, Franklin 170, Semi's: (1) Freightliner, (2) KW's, Marmon, Mack w/ Prentice Ldr., F-700 Crane Trk., (6) Mid Size Trk's. - Dumps, Flats, 1 Ton w/ 40 ft. 5th Whl. & (4) Semi Tlr's., LM 2000 Mill, (2) XL 12's., Solo 681, EFCO 152, Old Iron.

Thank You Sponsors!