iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How many Blacksmith/Fabricator members do we have?

Started by Chris Burchfield, March 20, 2011, 05:11:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Burchfield

Northwoods1 confirmed some of his work I saw in the woodworking section.  My Dad's dad and his brother were blacksmith/farmers in their communities in rural Mississippi.  My grandfather first worked building six wheel log wagons before settling into his homestead of Lobutcha Mississippi.  I was only 4 or 5 you and remembered the smell of coal in the forge burning.  It was all I could do on my toes to reach the hand crank bellows.  Family and friend are usually the recipient of damascus knives, tables, lamps or lights I've made.  I did make four - 10' 4" Nut Crackers, Germantown, TN puts them out for Christmas.  The following is a handrail I made at home for the office.  It's difficult to get government to contribute to certain arts.  I was glad they let me commission myself for this.

I'm also fortunate to have spent some time and taken classes at the National Ornamental Metal Museum.  It's here in Memphis overseeing the Mississippi River, just below what we call the old bridge.  Truly talented people I've met and worked with over the years.  My Youngest son and his wife were married there.  The grounds are beautiful with huge oaks shadowing the property.

My first coal forge, I built from a cut down 55 gallon drum. I filled with clay and used a hand crank bellows.  My second was handed down/traded with a farrier.  My third is a gas fired forge I built in welding shop as a term project.  I pulled different designs from the internet.  I have a vertical/horizontal bandsaw, anvil, 220V Lincon AC buzz box ESAB 210 wirefeed, standing drill press and a 25 lb. Little Giant Trip Hammer for my basic tools.

Descriptions of each picture can be read in my photo album.  They say a picture is worth a thousand words.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

fishpharmer

I'm not a blacksmith, yet I am sure I could get into it, if I didn't have so many other interests already.  The intricate work you have have displayed here shows your great skill.  I am curious, how long does it take to make an iron flower?  Lots of great detail you have made.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

isawlogs

That is as nice as it gets,  :)   
I had the same question as Fish, so I won't repeat it, I will ask an another  ;D  How long did it take you to make one section ??? :) 

My grand father worked as a smith for a few winters in the camps around the depression times. With a roll of wire that man could of out did Detroit  ::)   :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Dave Shepard

I volunteer at Hancock Shaker Village in the blacksmith shop. My focus is making tools and hardware for my timber frame work. My skills are pretty basic right now. I am gathering the tools to set up here at home so I can do it more often. That railing is very impressive. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Chris Burchfield

The bearded iris was eight individual pieces.  Pedal cut from a piece of sheet of steel with a jigsaw.  Edges smoothed on a belt sander.  Edges then hammered for texture.  Each pedal concave hammered for shape.  Split piece of 3/8" heated and shaped to match pedal then welded through the backside.  Pedals heated and fitted to  stem individually.  Bowl below blossom spun on a lath to close the end down to 1/2" I.D., welded then ground clean.  Couple of hours would be right on.

The roses are pretty easy.  One 4 1/4" and one 4" disk cut from sheet metal.  Center drilled and cut within 1/2" of the 1/4" center drilled hole.  Smoothing and providing a radius on each pedal's corner.  1/4" - 20 thread X 1/2" drilled and tapped into stem 3/4" deep.  Bolt the smaller disk on to the larger atop of the stem.  Use a gas/acetalene(?) torch to heat and shape each petal.  Pry up the first pedal with a screw driver, lift and crimp close the first pedal, then the second which will begin to enclose the first and so on.  The two disk, cut on quarters are set to evenly divide the eight sections.  Takes about an hour to drill, tap and shape a rose into a stem.

I know with fabrication of the mills, trailers, peavys and logging arches to name a few, I'm going to modify the "Subject" to include Fabricators.  Thanks for the plus, comments.

Chuck White

Forestry Forum member "Shag" is a blacksmith.

I don't know to what degree though.  He had PM'd me about how he makes flowers!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bandmill Bandit

I confess! 8)

My son says it this way.
If you want it done right you need at least one crazy German (read Dad)
If you want it screwed up right you still need that same crazy German!

I have made flowers too but not near that nice. Burchfield sounds like a good German name. Must be crazier then me! 8)
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Bro. Noble

I had a neighbor that was an old time blacksmith.  He helped me make a fishing gig out of a Chev. kingpin.  I always told people that I made it, and he just told me how.  That's what I believed till I tried to make one on my own-----what a mess.  About the only thing that I remember that he taught me were the two things a blacksmith will go to hell for.  Beating cold metal and not charging enough :D :D :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Ironwood

One, here in Pa. although I dont really consider myself a Smith, I reserve that for the REALLY talented folks in the trade. I have met, and sold wrought to some of the country's best over the last 8 or so years. There are many people who call themselves "blacksmith's" who do business with a King's Architectural Catalog (or Triple S ) and a welder. Some dont even know what true iron is or even how to work it. I have such a respect for those who have made this their life's passion (the old ways, the historic knowlege) some knowlege will ultimeately be lost with time and lack of need for historic practice (like say, forge welding ships hull's, CAN you imagine?) I feel so honored to have met and gotten to know some of these folks. So, yes I hammer some iron, but I am not a true Smith.  

I have seen some real dibochary repairing  historic iron on a few campuses. We were up in Conn. a few years back, U Mass I bellieve and few others in that town (Northport, or Westport or something) and my GOD were the welders repairing this stuff cave men. What a shame. Beautiful, pre 1900 hand forged iron slaughtered. The Board's of those schools should be ashamed.

Nice rail, did you make the open baskets?

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Larry

That's really nice work Chris. 8) 8) 8)  I'd like to see more.

An aspiring blacksmith/fabricator.  I have most of the tools except for talent and inspiration.  I want to make a entrance gate but all I've done is taken pictures of everybody else's gate.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Bandmill Bandit

Hey Iron wood, I hear what you are saying. I learned what i know from 2 old smiths. Both worked for the CPR/CNR when they were young bucks in the boiler works plant in Calgary.

I pound a bit of iron too but my skills are pretty basic mostly for lack of the proper facilities and i didn't get to spend any time actually using the skills I was taught BY my Grandpa and the neighbor that had the complete blacksmith shop set up on his farm.

It is an art and a science that is disappearing. finding a smith today that has a skilled command of both fields so that the resulting work is both reliable, beautiful and rugged enough to take the rigours of a locomotive it is nothing short of amazing.

The ship builders where no less talented.

I actually have my grandads anvil, 3 sets of tongs a couple of hooks and 4 of his old hammers. Need handles for the 2 biggar ones. Dad still has a bunch of his other smith tools that he is keeping for me cause I dont have room for them. 

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Coon

That is some beautiful work, Chris. 

My great grandfather was a talented blacksmith.  He built a downsized working model of a Case steam engine along with alot of other pieces of equipment.  The steamer is 1/3 scale and 99% home constructed.  Great grandpa has been gone for close to twenty years now and the steamer has been donated to the local museum about a year ago.  I have a newspaper article here but am having a few problems trying to get it scanned to be readable.

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

WildDog

Impresive railing there Chris, I like the posts.

Somewhere on here is a great set of shelves I think Ironwood made a couple of years back.

I like to muck around at the forge.  Wore the old hand cranked portable forge out and are back to using a gas forge at the moment untill I get around to building a new permanent fire forge, I bought the firepot etc a couple of years back. I have enough fun doing the basics, hooks, fireplace tongs, campfire tools and gambrels. I bought the plans for an inline treadle hammer and will hopefully get it built this winter. We have a new baby thats put a stop to the hammering at night.....Small price to pay. :)

I have tons of old iron forged by Blacksmiths, I collect old wagon fittings, axles, bullock wagon chains, its a race toget them before the scrapmetal dealers jump in and melt down our history. :(
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Al_Smith

Nice looking railings .That certainly took some time to do .

I can't say I'm really a black Smith although I obviously am indeed a Smith .

Regarding any form of metal working I was literally  born into it .I do very little forge work though although I'm knowledgable with the process .Arc welding,cutting torchs and plasma cutters have pretty much replaced the trusty old forge .

The Black Smiths today are pretty much limited to the  type works such as massive hindge works for doors ,custom railing as this fine exmple shown and other specialty items .Pretty much considered an art form more or less .

I would dearly love to find about a 150 pound Peter Wright anvil but those are rare as a hens tooth or at least for a decent price .Anybody that knows a thing about them will want a kings ransom for one

I might add I have a cousin ,another Smith who lives in N Carolina who is indeed a practicing black Smith .He was born into it too . ;D

Chris Burchfield

Yes Ironwood.  Each column post consist of 13 pieces.  Each of the four basket pieces were welded to the 1" square stock.  The upper most was welded shut, eater and twisted closed, then twisted back to open them up.  The upper was more open than the lower.  The real trick was to twist and open the same amount to get uniformity in their appearance.

I've visited Penland Arts school in North Carolina http://www.penland.org/ and Williamsburg Virginia's blacksmith shops.  Penland is so cool, atop in the Appalachian mountains.  The view for the students is inspiring in itself.

Al_Smith

Sauder which is a manufacture of ready to assemble furniture has a historic type thing called Sauder Village near Archibold Ohio .

Several years ago myself and wifey toured the place,very interesting .In the blacksmith shop they were assembling a huge pair of ornate door hinges which I went over with a fine tooth comb .I asked the two young men how they cut them out with such precision .In very low voice one of them whispered "plasma cutter " I was greatly amused . :D

ErikC

That is a good job Chris. I do a little blacksmithing, and have shod so many horses I can't count, which includes basic smith work. I have made knives, forged from coil springs, a lot. I am good at that, and many of the typical little things you see handmade; fire tool sets, hooks, hangers, hinges etc, utinsels, and all that type of thing. I have a both a coal forge and a propane one, a couple of anvils, peter wright 80# and trenton 160#, drill presses, bench grinders and belt sanders, buffer, wire wheel,  wire feed, stick arc and gas welders and a bunch of hand tools. Just the basics to do it really.
  Doing large repetitive work like that railing or a gate is a different ball game, a harder one, and I have to admire your work. :)
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Chris Burchfield

ErikC, I've never shod a horse as a farrier would.  Both my sons were taught by my father-in-law how to shoe horses.  My oldest son was given an anvil an other tools by his mother an I for graduation from highschool.  I purchased them from http://www.nctoolco.com/  I've also made hoof picks from horse shoes.  Farrier work is hard work and I don't have a trust for large animals like horses.  FIL had flat shod walking horses I use to ride.  I've spent many an hour with Farrier friends over the years watching them work.

Banjo picker

I have an ole Peter Wright anvil that I use from time to time...Question..What do the marks on the side revel about the weight of the anvil...I have forgotton how to read them...(Go ahead with the jokes as long as someone will answer the question) :D  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Dave Shepard

Why does 1+2+3 equal 171?

1 hundredweight=112
2 quarter hundredweights=56
3 pounds=3
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Banjo picker

Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

northwoods1

Chis that is really wonderful work you did on that railing, I wonder how many hours did you have into making it? I have never attempted anything near that complicated, but I do have a home builder out in Utah that wants me to make some window grills for some new construction in a Southwestern style, and some other assorted ironwork for their home. I think I can handle it as long as they keep what they want simple :D

I studied with Wallace Gusler from Colonial Williamsburg, he taught me how to carve wood and engrave. I learned more from him than just about any other person, and I am not only talking about carving and engraving... the guy is a true genius in my opinion. He was master of the gun shop there for many years but went on to head the furniture shop and then the department of conservation.

Here is something else I made as a gift for a friend. Not quite as complicated as your railing :D

Don_Papenburg

Nice railing ,  I know how much time was spent on that .

I have a friend that is the blacksmith up at the JD site in Grand Detour .  One day an older lady came into the shop and watched his demonstrtion and then said that she had an old anvil that was her late husbans and wondered if Rick would like it , what he thought it was worth.   He said that he would give her $25.00 without seeeing it .  she told him to come get it . when he finaly got it it was a peter wright .  He tried to give her more but she said a deal is a deal.

I play around with a hammer and hot metal a bit .  But i like the electric fire myself .  one of my buddies has an indution heater .  It just takes seconds to go from cold to yellow hot with that thing.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Chris Burchfield

Northwoods1, I spent about three weeks of long days on the railing.  Wasn't hard, just time consuming heating and shaping.  Nice serving set.

Radar67

I have an old portable forge that has not been set up yet. I have played around with heating metal, and want to learn more.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Thank You Sponsors!