iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Setting up a C65 for log hauling

Started by Taylor Johnson, March 20, 2011, 03:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor Johnson

Have any of you ever set up a Chevy c65 type truck for hauling logs? I am looking for ideas . Also how it worked out for you. Taylor Johnson

Warren

I bought a 1981 GMC C70 off a construction company, 18 ft stake bed, 5000# knuckle boom (no grapple), 366 gas motor, 4+2 tran/rear end, hydraulic drum brakes.  Has worked well for me, for occassional "go fetch" kinda activities. I am only a part timer....

Downsides are 5 mpg with $4 gas, and hydraulic drum brakes do not instill confidence if you need to make a panic stop.  If I ever need to buy another truck, it will be a diesel with disc brakes, or a CDL truck with air brakes.

LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

paul case

what do you mean ''set up''. i fixed the log bunks and flatbed on this truck . its an 85 c - 70.

pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Taylor Johnson

By set up I just mean getting it ready for hauling logs. Those are good pics , how long is you bed? Taylor Johnson

treefarmer87

check out my gallery, my old orange truck was a c 65. it had a heavy duty log body, and the pins came off the right side for loading with a tractor or bobcat. all the pins on my topkick come off. they are handy for really big logs so you dont have to pick them up so high with the loader.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

paul case

bed is 10'. bunks are set about 7'6'' apart only because i load with a case 580 tractor that has forks in the bucket. the 7' bucket will fit between them. i can and have hauled a row of 16' logs on the bottom with 10's, 12's and 8's on top of them. the 16'ers  have to be put on with the butt to the front. i dont haul long ones on the truck since i got the trailer.
i set it up to haul 10' logs since tht is what the mills i haued to back then wanted. it works good for me too. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Meadows Miller

Gday

Heres the pic of Treefarmers old rig 

With dedicated log trucks it pays to shed as much weight as you can so you can increase the legal pay load but if your anything like me I have always been on the heavy side  ;)  musteat_1  ;)  :D :D :D ;D

Regards Chris

4TH Generation Timbergetter

Rick Alger

Hey Taylor,

I have a friend with a Ford 750 six wheeler set up like the truck above. Bunks and a head board but no real body. He hauls 1300-1500 feet. He loads with a farm tractor. He tries to keep his hauls under 20 miles.

He generally drives the truck to work, and heads home with a load. One problem is unloading after-hours. Most mills close at 4:00. If you get there after 4:00 and don't have permission to unload yourself with their crane, you have to wait till the next day to unload. That can cost you a lot of time .

Taylor Johnson

Thanks for the replies guys. Taylor Johnson

Thank You Sponsors!