iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 385xp fuel system

Started by 9shooter, March 19, 2011, 05:29:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

9shooter

I have a 385xp that developed a gas line leak. I tore the saw down and replaced the line and reassembled it and found it was still leaking. It appeared that the gas was leaking from the hole where a plastic tube goes into the gas tank. This is at the top of the tank and I had pulled this tube because it started to back out of the tank as I was working on the saw. I guessed that there might have been an "o" ring on the tube so I installed one and the leak stopped. Now the saw won't start and isn't getting any fuel so I got to wondering if the "O"ring is causing a vacuum problem essentially not allowing the tank to breath. Does anyone know anything about this?
Earth First! We'll log the other planet's later!

jteneyck

Most Huskies have a separate breather on the tank, although I can't remember if the 385XP does.  In any case, crack the tank filler cap a little and see if the saw runs OK.  If it does, then either the breather is plugged (if it has one) or the O-ring you put on the fuel line is the problem as you suspected.   If it doesn't run even with the cap cracked, then your "fix" probably is cutting off fuel flow. 

komatsuvarna

Did you use the correct O.D. size when you replaced the fuel line? Im pretty sure there is no O-ring in there, Just a tight fit between the tank and the hose.  I'd guess that the O ring is restricting fuel flow if the problem didn't occur until the line was changed. The tank vent is beside the fuel line hole on the tank.

9shooter

The breather vent has a 90 degree swivel plastic barb that the hose attaches too outside the tank. The vent tube that goes into the tank is a close fit but not tight. I wonder if this design has always allowed a little gas seepage.

When I got to the saw shop they didn't have husky brand pigtail gas line so I used Stihl gas line at their recommendation. 

I did look the saw over again and found that the gas line was apparently pinched somewhere where I couldn't see. I pulled on it and gas started flowing.

Now however the saw won't run right. It will start fine and idle but as soon as I run up the rpm's to cut with it, it soon loses power and cuts out. I am wondering if the Stihl gas line has a different I.D. (inside diameter) so that I can't get enough fuel through it. (A 385xp is a bigger saw than most after all and maybe has a larger I.D. hose?) The o.d. of the line seems about right in that it sealed well in the tank.  I will pull the saw apart again and see if there is some restriction in the line.
Earth First! We'll log the other planet's later!

dwschmidt

(newbie to the forum here) I have a similar problem on my 385xp. I just finished replacing the main fuel line and the vent tube, 90-degree connector and fuel line. The vent tube fit very loosely in the tank, and when it is all back together it continues to leak. As best I can tell it is leaking around the vent tube where it goes in to the tank-which makes sense due to the very loose fit. It leaks quite a lot of fuel, not just a minor drip. I use this saw on a logosol mill, so it is always on its right side, and this leak needs to be fixed.

Did you solve your leak? Anyone else have a suggestion?

Thanks much,

Duane.

buzzegray

Same problem. Vent tube fitting that attached into the tank. Also leaked when on Logosol

joe_indi

Check the pickup body before you check anything else.
If it is blocked, even a little bit, replace it.
Next, check the strainer in the carb.
Turn both the L and H screws anti clockwise to their stops.
If the screws are without limiter caps.
Turn them both clockwise to their stop and then turn them both one and a quarter out.
Joe

dwschmidt

Joe,

Thanks for your suggestions. Please forgive my further questions-I am not terribly expert on working on these saws (not yet, at least).

What do you mean by the pickup body? If that is the fuel filter that picks up fuel, in my case I have replaced that. If something else, can you please explain?

Is the strainer the small screen or strainer inside the carb, below the top cover? I have not yet disassembled the carb, but can do that.

Also, would you have an explanation for why one of these issues might cause the fuel leak we are describing? I do not understand how the vent line works that would explain that.

Thanks much,

Duane.

sharkey

Duane,
Joe means the body of the fuel filter, which is called the 'fuel pickup body'.

I have the 385 service manual in pdf file format.  If you would like a copy, send me your email address via a private message and I will forward you a copy.

Best wishes,
Bob

dwschmidt

Bob,

That makes sense on the body of the fuel filter.

Yes, I would like a copy of the service manual. Will try to PM you.

BTW, my saw is one of the EPA versions, which has the tank vent line going back to the carb (in looking at parts diagrams, I saw that some just had a vent to the atmosphere).

Thanks,

Duane.

Thank You Sponsors!