iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM throttle cable spring question?

Started by Jim_Rogers, March 19, 2011, 12:27:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

Has anyone found a way to successfully replace a broken spring on the end of the throttle cable, where it hooks onto the frame?

I just broke mine, but I have a complete replacement cable on hand, I think.
But I was wondering if someone had a method to just replace the broken spring.

What I would need would be something like a part number of a spring, size or location where I can get one.

Thanks in advance.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Chuck White

I've been wondering about that myself!

I've made up my mind that if the spring or cable broke, I would just get a plain old spring and make loops in the cable ends and attach the spring in between.

I know that a WM replacement linkage would be very expensive.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Peter Drouin

Hi Jim. I had a wm with a spring on it a 24 onan work good, and broke it too. but I find if you replace the part with a wm part (samething) your wm will run like it did before you broke it. for get the mickeymouse thing. just trying to help. happy sawing.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Jim H

When my spring broke in the middle of a job I doubled a piece of tie wire and threaded it several turns up into the broken end of the spring, formed a loop in the wire and bolted it on. I bought a replacement cable for when the wire failed but ended up using it that way for years. When I sold that mill I just gave the spare cable to the new owner. Woodmizer sells a replacement spring, but I'm not sure how you would get it over the ferrule on the end of the cable.      Jim
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

bandmiller2

A picture of the defunct cable spring would help,sometimes a spring can be "screwed" over a cable end. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Chuck White

I'm not real good with pictures yet, but here's a pic & description of the whole engine!

The spring is on the far left side.  Not a real good pic though.

On it's upper end, the spring is conical shape and the cable can swivel within.

https://www.woodmizer.com/webgateway/OMorder.aspx
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Jim_Rogers

Here you go Frank:

The old broken one is on the left, with the cable end slid through to show.

A new one is on the right.

Jim

Chuck White

Jim;  Just the bottom of the hook was broken on mine when I got the mill, and after about 2 years it let go in the middle of sawing, so, I lowered the engine and just clamped the stem of the spring back in where it was originally hooked. 

It does seem like (as earlier stated) a replacement spring could be screwed over the cable, but who has a PN for just the spring?

Jim_Rogers

Last time I tried to buy just the spring and they told me it wasn't available as just the spring.

So I bought two new throttle cables to have on hand.

Usually when I break something I order two, one to put on and one to have on hand. Then, when it breaks on the weekend or during a job, I have one in the spare parts box that I bring with me to the job. It's just a matter of a few minutes to change the part.

If someone has the spring number that would be great. as the cable is still alright.

Jim

terrifictimbersllc

Looks like you would have to take off the crimped on stop plug on the cable, to put on a new spring, which may be why it could be thought of as not easily replaceable.  I would try sandwiching a layer or two of the end of the spring between two washers with a nyloc nut on the bottom, one i could tighten on the top, and a hook made from a screw eye going down the middle.  the bottom nut at least would be inside the spring.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

MartyParsons

Spring is available 016033  For a wopping $ 2.25. You may have an issues replacing the spring because it has both ends soldered?
Hope this helps!
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

bandmiller2

Jim, thats a tough nut to crack,temporary fix is to bend the bottom of the spring to make a new hook sometimes you need heat.When WM made up that cable they put the cable through then crimped the ball on the end.The Philip Rand co. on the watertown Newton line sells wire cable and has all those crimp on fittings and the machinery to crimp.That spring looks just like whats used on heavy truck brake shoes.Suppose if you have the spring you could get a cable ferrel at a good hardware store and set it on the cable with a hammer and punch. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

LeeB

Change mine out last year. Don't remember the whole assembly being too high. If the spring broke, the cable is probably close behind. Change the whole works and be done with it.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

woodmills1

first time I broke mine on the 40 I just rebent the end and had at it

RPM up a little but worked for years till it broke again
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Jim_Rogers

I figured that there could be a way to replace the broken spring, only. As in my case most of the time that something broke it was the spring not the cable.

The springs on the ones I've seen, or got haven't been soldered on the ends that I have noticed.

So, as an experiment, I tried to remove the broken spring from the cable on the used one I just replaced.
I figured, it's a spring, why can't I just un-wind the cable through the spring to remove it. Kind of like turning out a threaded bolt.

I placed the broken end of the spring in my vice and clamped it down hard. Then with a fine tip screw driver, and a pair of needle nose vice grip pliers I grabbed the cable near the ball fitting on the end and moved it around and around and un-screwed it from the spring.

Well that sounds easy but wasn't the best solution to removing the broken spring from the cable.
The cable was not in the best condition when I was done.

See this:

So, I guess my idea to "just replace the spring" need a review.

Maybe:

QuoteChange the whole works and be done with it.

is the best solution....

isawlogs

When mine broke it did so like yours , the hook part broke off. I threaded a wire through the spring a few wraps of the spring in and then doubled it back out, reattached it the the post . I did order a new one but did not change it till it broke wich was a long time after.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!