iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

RED OAK OR WHITE OAK ?

Started by ROUGH CUT, March 18, 2011, 10:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ROUGH CUT

Hi everyone, I am happy to be a part of your forum. You guys are full of good information. I own a small manual mill and intend to cut some red oak for flooring. I have lots of red oak but very little white oak. This will be for a barn floor which needs replacing due to rain damage. My question is will red oak be O.K. even though it will sometimes get wet from wind blown rain?
It's not how you get into these things, but how you get out of them.

Jeff

I would not use red oak in that case as it's not going to hold up. White oak is what you need if it's going to be exposed to the elements at all.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

fishpharmer

You heard it from the main man.   8)

Welcome to the forum.  You and I are in a similar situation, abundance of red oak, I need white oak.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

scsmith42

Use red oak for the portions that won't be exposed to frequent rain, and white oak for the areas that might get frequently wet.

If you're only talking about getting wet a few times a year, I would't worry about it. 
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Jeff

The number of times it gets wet is far less important as how long it takes to dry out. If it get moist, and stays moist, and add some dirt in the board cracks like the typical barn floor you may have problems with red oak
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

paul case

ROUGH CUT,
welcome to the forum. glad to have another manual miller on here. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

scsmith42

Quote from: Jeff on March 18, 2011, 03:26:47 PM
The number of times it gets wet is far less important as how long it takes to dry out. If it get moist, and stays moist, and add some dirt in the board cracks like the typical barn floor you may have problems with red oak

Very good point Jeff.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

ROUGH CUT

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll try scsmith42's suggestion and just use the white oak near the door where most of the rain gets in.
It's not how you get into these things, but how you get out of them.

Banjo picker

I built a fence around the back yard..a couple of hundred feet worth...frame and boards all white oak except for 30 feet...ran out of white oak and it was too wet to go to the woods ...I had plenty of red on the yard...so I put up the 30 ft out of red oak...I am going to find out how fast red oak will rot on a vertical fence...any body want to venture a guess as to when I will be replacing the reds....? ;)  ...I know that the white is the best for outside applications but it will be interesting to see when I have to start replacing the boards...Tim

Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

5quarter

Welcome rough cut...Jeff is right. doesn't matter the amount...if it can shed water quickly and has good airflow it'll do just fine. if not, its done for. Do you have an abundance of elm or locust? either of them will work for a barn floor. A shame there is no Chestnut left. it was as resistant to weather as White oak. :(

Chet
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

farmer mark

I have used both red and white oak to build hay wagons that sit out year round.   White oak best but red worked ok just try to avoid the sap wood.

diaedy

I lobstered commerically for 35 years and my pots were all wood an red oak

SwampDonkey

Banjo Picker, I suspect the ends will go the quickest. But when you be looking at replacement is anybody's guess. I know untreated spruce decking is good for about 15, maybe 20 years if kept painted with stain. A spruce picnic table kept painted and no ground contact will last decades.

I built a wooden seat swing 20 odd years ago and it sits in under spruce trees and I keep the supports up on brick blocking. It's still as good as new and being under spruce it doesn't dry as quick after a rain.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

On the fence in the foreground are red oak, rough-sawn, 1x6 fence boards bolted on 4x4 white oak posts in 1966.

Off the ground, chance to dry, and lasting longer than the posts. Make for some good weathered wood for pic frames and such. :)

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!