iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood-mizer LT35 v/s timberking 1600

Started by red pine, March 16, 2011, 08:46:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronwood

Steve,

How does your mill sense that your blade guide is hung on a knot and back of on the driving the head forward. It a good feature to have.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Tronvik

The only problem with woodmizer (IMHO) is they hold their value.  :D    If you ever need to sell,that orange paint sells itself. But I am not known to ever consider selling my 2. Some people keep spare parts, I keep a back up mill  :)
1984 lt30, john deere 750

ladylake

Quote from: ronwood on March 18, 2011, 12:34:10 AM
Steve,

How does your mill sense that your blade guide is hung on a knot and back of on the driving the head forward. It a good feature to have.

Ron

It has a bypass valve .    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

terrifictimbersllc

Welcome to FF, Red Pine.  This is easier said than done, for me, but with $20K to spend, you might not be far at all from being able to purchase an older LT-40 super.  If you found an owner around who either isn't using his that much, or who is sawing a lot, but could be tempted to upgrade, you might be able to get a very good deal which would pay off in increased productivity and resale value.  Maybe more work than ordering a new one.  But not that much more work  in terms of upkeep, IMO.  These mills require eyes wide open with respect to maintenance and adjustments from one end to the other even if they're new, so the difference with an older one is that you might have to buy more parts, not that you have to know a lot more right up front. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

ladylake

If your going to spend $20000 on a used mill you may as well spend $25000 on a TK2000 and get a real mill with 100% hydraulics except for the power guide. The TK2000 is built like a tank and should require very little maintaince.      Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

red pine

r.man, thanks for looking into the Baker. By the way I would want a portable mill. Sorry I miss read your comments re: the Martin mill.   Red Pine

red pine

It appears sharpening bandmill blades is a big issue with need of sharpener and setter. Are there any suggestions for these tools as they appear quite costly from the manufacturers. I realize the cleanness of log is key factor and unfortunately water, power washers, etc. not readily available on my woodlot. Are debarkers worth gold in this instance. Red Pine

ronwood

red pine

I would recommend a debarker if you could afford it. Woodmizer has a resharp service. Some of the other manufacturer might have them.

Ron

r.man

Redpine the Baker is definitely a portable all hydraulic with a drag back. Will be able to check the model this weekend.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

red oaks lumber

iv'e owned other brands..... go with w.m you won't be disapointed. you can talk about sawing wood or with orange you will be cutting wood. they have a first class customer service dept.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: red oaks lumber on March 18, 2011, 09:29:32 PM
iv'e owned other brands..... go with w.m you won't be disapointed. you can talk about sawing wood or with orange you will be cutting wood. they have a first class customer service dept.

My Grand dad always said Green in the field Green in the Bank. Yes they cost more to buy, command a higher price when you sell parts are bit more but you just have way less down time because ALL the parts are good as original so you break down less.

Wood mizer is the Green machine of the sawmills.

That Orange paint is worth every penny you pay for it and it will pay you back many times over.

In your situation Debarker is a must. I wouldnt buy a mill with out one now that I have it.

A couple of 5 gallon jugs of water a day will be all you need for the blade lube/coolant add a half cup of Tide or some other soap. winter time use windshield washer anti freeze with the soap as well.

When your out in a remote place cutting wood the last thing you need to be doing is running to town for parts every 3rd or 4th log. Sharpening gear is a good investment. Will pay you back in pretty short order WM build good sharpening system. I would spring for the dual tooth setter. I have the cnb grinder and love it. The single tooth setter is a PIA but it will get the job done.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

ladylake

Time to take the orange glasses off, WM is way to complicated. After 8000 hours on my B20 with very few repairs I made the right choise.  I get a  lot of comments from my customers that it saws better and faster the the WM guys they used to have saw for them. Cooks and Baker also have a nice simple mill.  Resale is a mute point unless you trade every year, I paid $20000 and would get at least $12000 for it now, not many of you will run a new mill for 8000 hours and lose any less than $8000 . Buying used a mill might not lose any value if you get it cheap enough.   Steve

ronwood

Steve,

What is your reasoning that the Woodmizer is more complicated that a TK.
Also a lot of how the mill cuts is how the sawyer takes care of the mill and how sharp the blades are. I  don't care what manufacture sawmill you have  a lot depends on the sawyer.

Ron

Chuck White

Red Pine

Welcome to the Forestry Forum!

I have always said "Anyone with simple basic mechanical skills and the ability to read can maintain a Wood-Mizer"!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Jeff

This is getting stupid.  If you love your sawmill fine.  If you would recommend it fine. Talk about what you know and leave the rest of it alone, you don't need to be hammering on the other guy's choice on a mill if its not what you chose.  This ain't a pissing contest.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

red pine

r.man, Did you have chance to check on the used Baker and get the Model No. and perhaps hours used on the saw. New mills seem to have small discounts now, (Mar.31) but with metal prices up, they may cancel discounts. Thanks again.  Red pine

Thank You Sponsors!