iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A saw headed to the showers....Solo 603. A BIG machine

Started by weimedog, March 15, 2011, 12:27:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weimedog

Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Cut4fun

I know of 1 guy that has 2-3 on the west coast. If you need info.

CX3

I really like solo saws.  I believe the 603 was replaced by the 680, or vice versa, or I could be way off here too
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Spike60

680, 690 and 603 were all on the same chassis and more or less on the market at the same time, but the 690 came a bit later and outlasted the other two. Displacements were 80, 90 , and 103 CC. Good power, but pretty heavy. In reality too heavy to compete with other saws of similar displacements and/or performance.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

clww

Big saw and looks cosmetically nice, too. I thought it sounded heavy until I pulled out the specs for my Stihl 084, and it's a bit over 2 lbs heavier, but it's about 20 cc larger, so about the same power to weight ratio. I've never run a Solo.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

weimedog

I've put some time on it. Once when it still belonged to (you know who u are) someone else. And a few times with first a 28 Oregon Power match & then with this Sugihara.

Interesting saw. Has a soft mellow feel to it but pulls really hard on those long bars. Runs and sounds like a 1970's era dirt bike! Almost like it has a heavy flywheel or lots of crank shaft mass. Doesn't jump to RPM's as some of the new saws but don't mistake that not having power. Doesn't vibrate much either. Big easy smooth power is its way and has lots of torque. Spike is going to compare it more to the Husqvarna 385-390-390 Jred 2186 & 88 along with  Stihl MS660/066 series saws because the chassis came in the 80 & 90cc class and that's in fact where it had to compete in the market place. Its heavier than those saws! And you don't see many...so that's the markets opinion as well I guess.

I have to agree i wouldn't want to carry it around the woods felling tree's even as a younger man it would be like carrying an old Homelite 1050 class saw!

Having said that, its a real powerful old machine. Pulling large bars is its game. For the guys who like to mod these saw's my hunch is there is a lot more power in this saw to be had as well. I may do some simple things like getting a spare muffler and doing a muffler mod. I really want to keep it stock because I just like it the way it is and it is clean. I have to say in normal wood it wouldn't run as fast as either my 920 (Lightly modded one) or my 2094. BUT...my bet is a day of 36inch bar work buried in hard wood my 2094 would be a melted pile of recycled molecules...and the Solo would be ...cool.

For me it has a few purposes....one I like to run it. Especially on the blocking of big wood. Just put that saw on the log with a "let it do the work" type mentality. But I'm not doing this because I have to, its because I want to..might have a different opinion if I had to make a living with one saw..and I woke up to this one every morning! (Some folks need to think about that concept before getting married!)
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Saw Dr.

That 603 is a nice looking machine!  I had a crack at one of those on the cheap a while back, and just had too many things going on at the time.  I didn't know the 603 was kind of rare, or I may have put in a little more effort.  

I find enjoyment in running the big old monsters.  It is especially fun when you cut where there are other folks around.  I have to start grinning when someone shows up with a new MS-whatever XPG and scoffs at the old "relic" you're holding.  This is particularly fun with the magnesium saws that are missing most of the paint.  I endeavor to let them start cutting first and then sink mine into the wood......  

I have a friend who has a good Husky 359 that he really likes.  For whatever reason, it came with a 24" bar, which he thinks it handles well.  A while back we went to drop a hazard tree on his neighbors property.  I brought a fresh rebuild/mod 029 Stihl (53cc) with an 18" bar and a couple of meticulously filed (I do my own on a Granberg, not the grinder) chains.  There was a quip or two about Stihl before the saws got fired up that day.  By the end of the day, he was wanting to swap me the 359+ for that crummy old 029.  Good thing he is a friend....  I told him no.  That one cost me though.  I went through his 359 and now I get to keep his (MANY) chains in line.  

Sorry for the hijack.  I am officially jealous of the 603. 
I don't try to explain to others why I play with chainsaws.  For those who already know, no explanation is needed.  For those who do not, no explanation is POSSIBLE!

Super 250

weimedog

It got a good scrubbin..here some pics. A "no expense spared" design. lot of machine here!

Al_Smith

Are those nuts on the bar studs standard equipment or added so it can use Stihl mount bars ?

weimedog

:) You don't miss a thing...I do that to adapt Stihl mounts to Homelites as well. Most of the big Sugihara's come with the Stihl mount and these cheesy wire ring adapters so I just do what I do. Those bailey adapters are better for everything except 10mm Jonsereds though..did you check out those transfer port "caps" like the little Husqvarna's? Bet that could be hop up heaven in there, which is one of a few reasons why I think there just might be lots of power available to those who do that type of thing. Wonder how strong the bottom ends are on these things.

Couple of things I THINK I see in this saw, there is a lot of room for the exhaust, wonder is that added exhaust volume was a design priority. The result is less room for the air box/ air filter. And that's the ONLY thing I see on this saw that doesn't look like a no expense spared design..the air filter/ airbox area. Everything else is impressive to say the least, the more I pick around the more I like this beast.

BTW I love the Stihl chain on these more expensive & longer bars...bet they do carry more oil as advertised and add life to these longer bars.

ladylake

You lost me, how can the hugh exhaust (I have a 690) interferr with the intake being on the other side of the cylinder.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

weimedog

Quote from: ladylake on March 18, 2011, 08:08:21 AM

You lost me, how can the hugh exhaust (I have a 690) interferr with the intake being on the other side of the cylinder.  Steve

Look at the saw from the side. By tipping the cylinder back there is more room for exhaust and therefore less for the intake side and therefore airbox/ air filter. Was this for exhaust volume? Saw balance? Other reasons? If you look at saws like a 540 Homelite or some of the big Jonsereds of the period, they took the exhaust and went down in front of the bar oil tank to get volume and kept the air box larger...all just different compromises in space management made by different sets of engineers with different priority sets. They aren't the first to go this route, Stihl's for years had that layed back layout. BUT also notice while some of the new designs like the new 562 Husqvarna have a similar layout, they also found ways to increase the airbox size where on this saw they stayed within a more conservative package. Hence my comment.

(Even 272/372 era Husqvarna's with vertical cylinders found ways to increase the size of the air box..those hi-top covers)

Al_Smith

Quote from: weimedog on March 18, 2011, 07:37:19 AM
:) You don't miss a thing...I do that to adapt Stihl mounts to Homelites as well. Most of the big Sugihara's come with the Stihl mount and these cheesy wire ring adapters so I just do what I do. Those bailey adapters are better for everything except 10mm Jonsereds though.. 

Well actually I kinda do the same thing except I cut basically thick spacer washers on the lathe to adapt large mount Stihl bars .All they do is simulate the big bosses on the end of Stihl bar studs . I never thought of a jam nut .Another way to skin a cat . ;D

Thank You Sponsors!