iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Newbe to Sawmilling

Started by Babaloui, March 14, 2011, 10:14:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babaloui

Wow, Great forum and a lot of experts. Just what I was looking for!!

Babaloui

I'm new to this forum so I hope you guys are patient. I just acquired 31 acres in east Texas covered with red oak and I'm interested in getting a mill to add a little income. Some trees are less than 8" dia but about 40% are greater than 14" and several are almost 30". About a mile from my property I passed buy a place that had a Log Master mill in the front yard , full hydrolics, about 16 foot long so I stopped in to ask him a few questions. I wasn't really happy with the answers. He said east Texas oak was so full of water that it was difficult to use for anything other than fire wood and that it was impossible for him to cut it with any speed. He had relegated himself to cut only softwoods like airomatic cedar and pine but I noticed he only had a 9HP Kohler. He also said he was constantly having to fix his machine in particularly the blade guide bearings. My question is: how many of you guys are cutting oak and what type of mill should I get to do that. I love wood working and I'd hate to give up on this dream just because some guy with a bad machine talked me out of it. Also, is it true about the east Texas oak?

Thanks guys

shinnlinger

Welcome,

I know nothing about Texas Timbers, but you are right to suspect that 9 horse is a little light.  That said, I doubt a full hydro mill would have that small a motor. 

If I were you, I would post in the sawmill section a specific question about sawing the specific species you  have on your property and see if anyone down your way has had any experience with it.

Good Luck!
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

pineywoods

You said east Texas, that covers a good bit of territory  ;) I'm just across the line in Louisiana, got lots of red oak. Just sawed up 2 big 30 inch diam logs last week. My mill is 25 hp. If he is going through blade guide bearings I'd bet he is pushing the blade too hard trying to cut faster, maybe dull blade. With only 9 hp, the blade gonna have to be razor sharp.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Babaloui!

There's lots of good people here and lots of info too.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Bibbyman

Welcome to the Forum.

Tell us more..  Where you're at with your sawing?  Where you're going with it?  We like pixs.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Meadows Miller

Gday

And Welcome to The Forum  ;) ;D ;D 8) what sort of mill have you got or are going to get Mate  ???

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Babaloui

My mistake. The buddy I was with corrected me on the size of the engin. Apparently it was a 30 HP but the owner was clear about how much trouble he was having and all the maintainence required to do the most simple cutting. I would have thought that such a large machine would slice through anything you could find in that area. The specific area of east Texas is in the San Sabine river area between Grand Saline and Mineola. I'll try posting the the sawmill area of the forum with a more specific thread. Thanks guys for all the input.

Ianab

I'm thinking there is some underlying problem with his mill's set up, or the way he is running it.

Even simple things like the type of blade or band lubrication can make a BIG difference in how the saw cuts in different type of wood. get it wrong and you get an overheated band, build up of pitch on things, wavy cuts and frustration. What may work fine in one type of wood, not so good in another.

But they are usually problems that can be fixed by making relatively small changes to the mill set up or operation.

Contact with an expert at the mill manufacturer, or one of the more experienced sawyers here will usually get you back on track.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Babaloui

I don't have a mill yet but I'm doing all the due dilligence I can prior to getting something. I have some acerage around Grand Saline TX which is covered with large red oaks and a few cedar. I want to build a cabin using as much material as I can find on the property and maybe cut some wood for profit. I'll probably just budget $3K-6$ for a mill but I want something that will have enough power to handle the oak so it may be closer to $7. I like Baker, EZ Boardwalk, NorWood and Wood Miser which makes it hard to decide since all are pretty good.

tyb525

Baker, EX Boardwalk, and Woodmizer all make great mills, however IMO Woodmizer has the best customer service and has been an industry leader in these types of mills.

Woodmizer is the only mill I have experience with however, and I've heard good things about other mills.

I wouldn't give up on sawing just because one guy balks. He most likely doesn't know how to/refuses to properly maintain his mill. I've gotten great use out of my LT10 10HP over the last two years, even for as little as it is.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Woodbuzzer

Welcome to the Forum Bobaluoi 8) Im not to familiar with the band mills but it seems like the woodmizer LT40 is very popular :o :o-Buzz
Frick saw mills,NHTC29Dtractors,Jonsered chain saws,Northern Hyd. woodsplitters,Central Outdoor woodboilers,and Arctic Cats too!

red oaks lumber

the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Thank You Sponsors!