iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

tires rims

Started by donny hochstetler, March 14, 2011, 05:54:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donny hochstetler

I just bought a different skidder it has 18.4 x34 rubber this machine is 9ft. 2in. wide theres probably 14 -16 in. of space between the tire and the frame I would like to narrow it down to about 8ft. 4 in.  the center plate of the rim is welded clear to one side so i"ll have to rework the rims or could iI flip it over and put in a spacer also I was looking on e bay this is a common tractor size would a tractor rim hold up or are they not heavy enough also what about tractor tires would they hold up in the woods they would be alot cheaper by the way this skidder has john deere axles under it . thanks

bushmechanic

I'm not sure about your question on flipping the rims around a narrower machine is a lot more tippy.The agriculturial tires are less ply rated and won't stand up like a forestry tire will,but they will fit on the machine.

thecfarm

Is this a money maker skidder,meaning it will be in the works 5-6 days a week,8-10 hours a day on other people's land? Probably on my land the tractor tires would be fine,not 4 plys either. I keep mine trails clean and don't run over a bunch of stumps and rocks.I just play around now,not into the money part for now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

240b

I flipped the rims around on a 380b I had and it was really tippy. Those 18.4 JD wheels didn't have a lot of back spacing so they may fit or not.  A 23.1 wheel would probably make it narrower and still stable with the correct rim back spacing.  this is a good size machine? 

lumberjack48

I think i would flip the rims with 18.4x26 tires, this will lower it just enough to stable it.

Don't waste your money on tractor tires, look round you can pick up used 16 ply Forestry tires petty reasonable.

To keep tire trouble down run 30 lbs air pressure in each tire

Good luck with your new project
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

treefarmer87

lumberjack 48 thats a good tip, im going to check my tire pressure in the morning :)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Thank You Sponsors!