iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Capacity of the board return?

Started by stavebuyer, March 13, 2011, 04:56:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stavebuyer

Those of you cutting ties, timbers or large cants...whats the comfort range of the board return on a LT70??

terrifictimbersllc

I'd limit it to about 30 mph.  :D :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

smwwoody

The largest timbers we cut on our 70 on a weekly basis are oak 10X12X14s.  It has no problems with them.  we have cut much larger timbers on the 70.  It has over 15000 hrs on it and I just replaced the head drive motor about a month ago.

Thanks

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

stavebuyer

Guess you answered my concern about how to get switch-ties off the mill!!

Bibbyman

Our LT40 does not have nearly as strong a board return and the head drive is less powerful. But I often shift shorter logs back onto all four blocks using the dragback.  Need to have a flat so it will slide and not hang up.  Need to make sure bumps and knots won't hit the backsupports or clamp, etc..
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

smwwoody

if it looks tooo heavy bump the toe rollers up a little.  we do this on the real big ones.
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

pnyberg

I don't want to belabor the obvious, but I would think that even my piddly LT40 board return could pull pack almost any cant if it was up on the toe rollers rather than down on the bed rails.  Keeping it rolling, rather than dragging, might require some further head scratching. 

--Peter
No longer milling

paul case

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Thank You Sponsors!