iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hydraulic Fluid In The Wrong Place On WM

Started by Bodger, March 12, 2011, 06:02:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bodger

Found some stray hydraulic fluid in the bottom of the box that contains the pump and motor on my 95 LT40.  I had replaced the motor last year so I pulled the motor and it had some fluid inside of the case.  I know that can't be good.  I looked at the 'Troubleshooting' guide that came with the mill and searched old posts but can not find where the seal should be.  There doesn't look like there should be one where the bearing fits into the pump.  Late on Saturday afternoon so I'm not keen on doing too much tearing down.  Though somebody might have some insight on the leak.  Where is the seal?  Or rather, where should it be?  Thanks
Work's fine for killing time but it's a shaky way to make a living.

Bodger

OK, I went back down there and pulled the pump...sure enough there's a little seal in the end. Just couldn't see it in the box.  Truth is, I think I replaced that seal when I put the motor on last year...soooo, bad as I hate to say it, I must have buggered it up when I put it in.  Most crashes are a result of pilot error.  Wish I hadn't told everybody now. 

Tom

If your hydraulics are working OK, I wouldn't worry about it too much.  The oil can get out of the breather cap, loose hose connections and my just be a result of over-filling.

Those were Monarch pumps and my Monarch manual indicates that a blown, or leaky, seal will suck air, creating foamy oil and loss of pressure or not being able to obtain maximum pressure.  

If your oil is clear, I'd bet that it is an overfilling problem and probably related to not having all of the "rams" collapsed when you filled the reservoir.

The only seal I can find is only written about, not shown, and is around the shaft.

Bodger

well, it's almost gotta be the seal between the motor and the pump...I just don't want to have to replace the pump motor again anytime soon.  I will check with the local NAPA store monday morning - we still have a real parts store here - and if they don't have one WM will.  Probably cost more for shipping than for the part. 

Bandmill Bandit

Before you go ripping any further I would check your hydraulic fluid level. if it was/is a bit over full it can push a bit out of the breather hole in filler cap if you are using the hydraulic a bit more than normal and the oil gets a bit warmer. 07 model I have did right from new for a bit and then again last fall after I changed out the fluid. If it is coming out of the breather hole you will see a bit of an oil trail down the side of the reservoir.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Magicman

I'm beginning my 10th year sawing with my mill.  It leaked ATF when I bought it (used) and it still does.  Soon after I bought the mill, I had a Platnum Service done by WM.  I asked the technician about the leak, and he said "not to worry about it".  I just did a rebuild on both electric motors and I'm still not worried about the small leak.  I just occasionally top it off.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

isawlogs

Before refilling the oil tank , make sure all the cylinders are closed , then top the tank up , if not , when you do close all the cylinders , the tank may overflow from exessive oil from the cylinders.
  The Monarch pumps are like a Detroit engin .. they leak, don't worry about it    ;) :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

sdunston

Quote from: isawlogs on March 12, 2011, 09:48:45 PM
Before refilling the oil tank , make sure all the cylinders are closed , then top the tank up , if not , when you do close all the cylinders , the tank may overflow from exessive oil from the cylinders.
  The Monarch pumps are like a Detroit engin .. they leak, don't worry about it    ;) :)
Or a harley 8)
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

Dave Shepard

I had a leak on the Super last fall. Oil filter had loosened up a bit. Tightened, and all is well now.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Bodger

Parts house had a seal.  Cleaned everything up, let the motor drain overnight and put it all back together.  No leak, no hyd fluid running up into the motor.

Thank You Sponsors!