iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

GREEN black walnut

Started by paul case, March 11, 2011, 10:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul case

i ran into this today cutting down some black walnut trees

the logs did this within minutes of being cut. some ends kinda wet on themselves but the green i have never noticed before. i know the lumber will have a green tint to it when fresh sawn, but this is a bright green.

anyone know what this is and what causes it?  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

tyb525

I've seen that too pc, green and blues in the sapwood. Dunno why/how it happens.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

jamesamd

All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

paul case

i guess all along i planned to turn it into something green. pc
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

Ironwood

Donno what causes it, but will go away when milled and will go to "regular" walnut color within a half hour.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

WDH

A lot of my walnut has a blue band between the sapwood and heartwood.  Sometimes there is a little crimson as well.  I suspect that it is an oxidation reaction that brings out the color.  When the fresh cut surface is exposed to air (oxygen) the reaction occurs that produces the color at the transition.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Autocar

Paul here in Ohio they always turn green like that even the saw dust laying in the snow. We always joke IT'S THE COLOR OF MONEY  :D. Nice looking logs
Bill

Kansas

Nice looking sawlogs, but Don't think they are veneer quality, unless they are really big. Veneer buyers don't want a lot of white wood.

paul case

i know they arent veneer quality. the biggest one was probably 2' sed. there are a lot of folks here that are subdividing properties for development and many times i get to cut out the lines where they go thru the woods. this one just happened to be all walnut.
i am not sure what it will pay yet.i think the whole thing will be $1500. i did this one on the halves. it was only 6 or 7 trees and only took 3.5 hours from the time i left til i got the tractor back home. pc
pc

Magicman

We always see a mix of different colors between the sap and heart wood.  Yours is unusual and something special needs to be built out of it.  All of the colors will change when the oxygen hits it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

paul case

i love to work with wood , but this is going to pay the light bill. pc
pc

SwampDonkey

Butternut will have an olive green, then it will disappear in time.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

paul case

the green color is gone today. martian logs!!!! pc
pc

band-it lumber

if i remember correctly that would be sulphur in the ground water and it will glow in the dark i have seen that in a few pine trees and as the moisture evaporates it goes away

SwampDonkey

Don't confuse it with a fungus causing "foxfire" which when active and growing with glow a blue green in the dark (phosphorescent light). Kind of the same principle as fireflies. I've seen it once as a kid in an alder swamp on a full moon and a humid evening. Took a piece back to our tree house, by morning the wood dried out and the fungus was dead, never glowed again. I still find the fungus but it's always in daylight and I have even taken samples, but no glow under darkness. Conditions have to be just right I guess. It sure was weird seeing dead alders glow. :D

Piece of bark glowing on this website.

http://inamidst.com/lights/foxfire
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

woodmills1

up here cut walnut looks green on the board face for an hour or so.  pretty strange the first time
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

WDH

The blue, teal green, and light crimson color that occurs between the sapwood and heartwood transition persists permanently in the walnut that I have air-dried.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

MikeON

These green walnut boards were freshly cut after lunch, and the brown boards before lunch, from the same log.  The brown boards were green when cut.

Woodmizer LT40HD Super.  WM Single Blade Edger,  John Deere 4310 tractor, M35A2C Deuce and a Half truck

tyb525

Wow! I've never had walnut get that dark that quickly.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

JPM

now you know where the phrase 'cutting green wood' comes from  ;D

ARKANSAWYER

That color and change is pretty common in walnut.  It is like white oak will turn pink when freash sawn and some people think it is red oak.  UV is what turns the wood from green to brown but if the log is dead standing or just an old dry log it will turn brown as it dries.
ARKANSAWYER

Thank You Sponsors!