iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

It's cold down here!

Started by Tom, December 17, 2003, 01:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

The rain hit here this morning early and turned to a drizzle as the sun came up.  I left the house as the temperature was dropping and navigated wet roads to the mill where the customers two grandsons were waiting.  The drizzle stopped as we fueled the mill and we were preparing logs in a 40's and dropping temperature with 30 to 50 mile an hour gusts blowing across a 200 acre hay field and down the back of our necks.

Sawing 20' pine for a floor until noon, we decided we had taken all we could and called it quits.  I've come home to a warm house, a glass of milk and a heavily spiced cubed steak sandwich.

Everybody had a bad time it seems.  The TV reporters are showing the failure of the second Wright Flyer to get off of the ground in Kitty Hawk, N.C., Ashcroft was admonished for speaking out of turn, Dean said "permission" when he shouldn't and Kerry is on him like "White on Snow".

I'll bet Saddam isn't eating grits either.  He's probably having to eat hot dogs and listen to Rap while standing on his tip-toes.  

Some nut blew himself up in a truck trying to get to a Baghdad police station, Jesse Jackson is against something again, and President Bush hurt his knee.

It doesn't look like we're going to Mars anytime soon, I've covered the well pump so it won't freeze tonight and  I think I'm going to go to bed.  A nap sounds a lot better than more TV. :-/ ::) :)

Tobacco Plug

Some days it seems like it is better to just stay in bed! ;)
How's everybody doing out in cyberspace?

Wes

on days like that the saw dust is always blowing in my eyes.
 Tom, I wish it was like that here, at least I could get something  done, rain, wind ice & snow in jersey.

OneWithWood

Sorry I came down to Florida Tom.  That always happens when I go there.  Once it even snowed as I was going through Jacksonville on my way to bike week in Daytona.  1986 I think.  Dunno, some of those memories are kinda hazy. :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Flurida_BlackCreek

If that's happening to Saddam, it sounds like torture to me.
He doesn't deserve any southern delicacies. ;D

On the bright side of the weather, the specs ought to be biting good. Maybe we can get together run down south a little, catch some specs while watching Harold freeze his butt off. I already ordered the crickets.

And that there fellow on the right kinda looks like me but I ain't quite that healthy.

I don't watch TV.  Ain't never much cared for it.
I'm happy anywhere south of the mason-dixon line.
-- cdb

EZ

I dont like alot of snow but I cant do anything about that. I dont mind the cold weather, I just work a little harder. I dont like that real hot weather cause the sweat rolls down my glasses. ;D
I dont care what happens to Saddam, I wish he was there when his boys ment their maker.
EZ

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Den Socling

Tom

A moon by any other name is still a moon. ;D

Jeff

Tom

I hunted and hunted for a picture of a "Moon" but couldn't find one.  :D :D

Ianab

I'm sure this is the sort of "moon" that you mean isn't it ;)

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Gus

Thought I was going to have one of those days today. Right off this AM I realizes there was no way to get a cable to the top floor of a 3 story building except to fish all three floors. :(
I hate hanging cable on the outside of a building ( it's a matter of principle and respect for the owner of a building). Managed to find a wee bit of space along side the vent pipe for the furnace and 2 hrs. later I had it. It was sheet rocked in from top to bottom to boot. :)
Got home tonight and had a letter from the company saying I recieve a raise first week in January. 8)
As it turns out the later it got today the better it looks. Think I'll stay up til midnight.  :D

As for Saadam, He'll get his. Karma ya' know ;D
I never knew they had him til I got to work monday morning. I been busier than a one armed paper hanger around here. Haven't seen the TV for days. Ain't been in here for a few either.

Always better days ahead Tom.

Gus
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

Captain

Tom's right, its cold in FLA.

Stepped on the plane in Orlando yesterday, 50 degrees and raining.  3 hours later, stepped off at Logan Airport, 52 degrees and raining. At least in Orlando, there was no snow on the ground....

Captain

AtLast

COLD???!...you wanna talk COLD???!......it was SO cold here...." HOW COLD WAS IT??"...well it was so cold that went to do a job and the mill said..." ARE YOU NUTS IT"S TO COLD???!!!!"......slushy raining snowey stuff got all over the motor and ...yup...you guessed it....not gunna start...nope...not gunna do it....ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH

etat

cold makes my knees hurt. :( :( :(
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

C_Miller

When did it get cold?  except for the six weeks of bad skiin' temperatures been about even all year.

C

P.S.  a word of warning to the Fla. folks,  my niece just got her learners permit. They are near Tallahassee.
C
CJM

Gus

Was cold here today. Not so bad temp wise. It actually thawed a bit but the wind was gusting up to 30 and 40 mile an hour. Made it tough to feed loose hay.
Next year I think I'll buy one of those idiot cube makers and make a couple hundred idiot cubes. Maybe I can get some it on the ground long enough for the critters to eat it. ::)
Gus
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

etat

SDSaw, I didn't know anybody stored and fed loose hay anymore.  I've got my great grandpappys old mule hayrake, restored and painted out in the pasture close to the road.  But I've never used it for it's purpose.  I like dem round bales.  Got a old round baler that I have to work on every year.  Year before last I bought a double hayrake and a disk mower and retired the sickle mower.  But I've never tackled loose hay. :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Fla._Deadheader

If'n Y'all wanna talk cold, least ways down here, We got up to camp on Tuesday morning. Worked on mill maintenance and got ready to saw Wednesday. Temp Wed. morning was about 50° when we got up. Went to about 67° and then started to cool down a little.
  Got up Thursday and it was 31°, and the wind was blowing. That didn't seem so bad, till we went out on the dock and near got blowed off the boards. They was "FROZE" with Frost!!! Slippery as, well, y'all fill in that part. ::)
  Got into the open top river runner, and it DID start. Cooda done without that, as we motored out into a dead North wind, about 45 MPH, blowin straight down from Anchorage and whippin up 3 FOOT waves on the Lake.
  Took 20 minutes to complete the 3 minute run to the OTHER dock, where we tie off the river runner. Stepped outta the boat and near turned a "Summerset" as Grandaddy would say, as I slid on the FROZE dock boards. Ed thought it was funny till he almost went off the other side, into Lake George. Caught his arm and saved him. He din't have on his brandy new Drysuit I just bought him. ::)  Gotta take care of the help, Don'Tcha know. ;D :D
  Drove up to the mill and it starts right up, 24 HP Hondooey.
  Tried to load a log and it was TOUGH going. Loader was tryin to smoke the motor, and the belt was slippin to the Hyd. pump. Tried to adjust the pulley and tighten the belt. YEP, broke the DanG Chinese Cast Iron JUNK Pulley.
  Off to palatka (20 miles or so) and went into 4 stores before we could buy a stinkin 3/4" X 4 inch "b" section pulley.
  Got back and put on the pulley and NOPE, pump is runnin REAL slow. THEN, the feed drive starts slippin. Fixed that and quit.
  Next mornin it's blowin about 25 MPH and is 29°. We got on ALL the clothes we had with us, and back to the river runner. Crossing was MUCH better, we ran wide open and catapulted off the tops of the waves. ;D ;D Told ED , THIS is how ya cross them rivers :D :D :D  He was holdin on REAL tight and nearly ripped off the windshield.  :D :D :D
  Put our "log" ramps up and ROLLED logs onto the mill.  ::) ::) ::) ::)  Sawed our first "LIVE Oak. Stuff was like concrete, till ya broke through the bark. Sawed pretty good and smooth as if it were planed. Customer was REAL happy. Even talked him into buying a Cypress log and we sawed it for free, $200.00.  ;) ;D ;D
  Temp got up to around 55° and the loader is workin better and better. By the time we was finished, it was working normal.
  And Y'all Din't think it got cold enuff to freeze hydraulic oil, eh ::) ;D :D :D :D  I'll post pics of some NICE boards on the other forum (sawin).
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

D._Frederick

Fla._,
You talk about the "camp", do you have someone there full time watch your sawmill and stuff so that it doesn't walk way or be shot full of holes?

Fla._Deadheader

Hi "D". Actually "camp" is short for campgrounds. We are working out of an RV resort. We have a retired guy that lives about 100 feet from the mill, and if he sees anybodyaround the mill, he's on 'em like white on rice. He Don'T miss much, either. :D :D :D

The owner is presently installing a 1500 gallon triple box septic system, so he can add 44 more RV hook-ups.

Things are about as secure as anywhere else, I guess ??? ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

chet

Eh, Harold if dat DanG mill wants ta run slow again tomorrow, just threaten it dat you'll send it up ta da U.P.  I'm willing ta bet she'll speed right up.   :D   :D   :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Jeff

AtLast, I have something for you after that post.

You can get it here.

Fla._Deadheader

Chet, I'm a thinkin maybe I can drain that hyd. oil and put in 5 er 10 weight motor oil??? Pressure shouldn't bother that motor oil, eh??? ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!