iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Comfort Zone...It's Done, No Problems

Started by Magicman, March 11, 2011, 11:20:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I'll be on the road sawing next week and I'll really be out of my comfort zone.  The map program shows the farthest job is 153 miles from home.  He will pay travel mileage and also lodging.  After I finish it, I'll catch another closer one on the way home.  The total should be about 8Mbf.

I'll spend the next couple of days doing the obvious maintenance items, but a "work stopage"  breakdown would be a bummer.

I loaded blades first.   :)

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

vburke

Extra blades? :o Where's your sense of adventure? :)

Vern
A sharp saw is a happy saw :)
SwiftWater Edge Tool Works saw.swiftwatertel.com

mayor

Dont forget the key!. :D :D

Tom

I've done that On-the-road-again sawing a few times, to the tune of a couple of hundred miles and once at about 300.  I'll tell you that the most important thing to put on the truck is the sharpener and setter, after the sawmill.  Twenty sharp bands is a good thing too, but, with the sharpener, you don't have to use them all one time and then wait for "home".

A good supply of spare parts is necessary too.  On the Woodmizer that includes a guide rebuilt kit, or two, a solenoid for the hydraulics, a few centering springs and maybe even a switch spring or two.  A spare  drum switch, a spare speed control rheostat (?) and a set of spark plugs comes to mind.   Then a case of ATF and sufficient engine oil and a couple of empty gas cans that you can fill there if necessary. (over and above what you normally carry).  Finally, take the mill maintenance book and a bunch of phone numbers.

That gets you through the operation, but what you will forget is the time away from work. Yes, you need clothes, but you need entertainment too.  Even staying in the house of the customer you will find yourself out of place.  Sharpening bands gets to be entertainment, but a few good books and a folding chair that you can use outside for whittling is mighty  handy.  I found myself  with my own soap bar in my shaving kit too. Those little motel bars are aggravating.

Of course, you should add to all of this a notebook such that you can keep a journal and remember names of people who drop by the mill, as well as your camera.  A visit from the wife once every couple of weeks will bring a smile to your face too.  Mine didn't make it all of the time, but she tried to get there on Saturday sometime and leave Sunday.  She would bring something fun to eat from home and any extra supplies that I found I needed.

What you may have to be careful about is getting back home.  There is a reason these guys have you coming so far.  They either like you or there is no sawyer there.  When I was sawing in Lovedale, that's one of the suburbs of Two Egg, I was offered a small piece of land upon which to build a house, and the help building it, if I would stay there and saw for everybody.  I finally had to leave in the middle of the night to get away.  :D

You will meet some great people and have a good time, if you allow yourself.  I promise.  :)

Chuck White

Good luck on the road MM!

Don't forget your cell phone! ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Quote from: vburke on March 11, 2011, 11:35:50 AM
Extra blades? :o Where's your sense of adventure? :)  Vern 

:D :D  It will be here when I get back home.  With the price of fuel, traveling is no fun anymore.

And, Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Vern.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Tom on March 11, 2011, 12:38:37 PM
I've done that On-the-road-again sawing a few times, to the tune of a couple of hundred miles and once at about 300.  I'll tell you that the most important thing to put on the truck is the sharpener and setter, after the sawmill.  Twenty sharp bands is a good thing too, but, with the sharpener, you don't have to use them all one time and then wait for "home".

A good supply of spare parts is necessary too.  On the Woodmizer that includes a guide rebuilt kit, or two, a solenoid for the hydraulics, a few centering springs and maybe even a switch spring or two.  A spare  drum switch, a spare speed control rheostat (?) and a set of spark plugs comes to mind.   Then a case of ATF and sufficient engine oil and a couple of empty gas cans that you can fill there if necessary. (over and above what you normally carry).  Finally, take the mill maintenance book and a bunch of phone numbers.

That gets you through the operation, but what you will forget is the time away from work. Yes, you need clothes, but you need entertainment too.  Even staying in the house of the customer you will find yourself out of place.  Sharpening bands gets to be entertainment, but a few good books and a folding chair that you can use outside for whittling is mighty  handy.  I found myself  with my own soap bar in my shaving kit too. Those little motel bars are aggravating.

Of course, you should add to all of this a notebook such that you can keep a journal and remember names of people who drop by the mill, as well as your camera.  A visit from the wife once every couple of weeks will bring a smile to your face too.  Mine didn't make it all of the time, but she tried to get there on Saturday sometime and leave Sunday.  She would bring something fun to eat from home and any extra supplies that I found I needed.

What you may have to be careful about is getting back home.  There is a reason these guys have you coming so far.  They either like you or there is no sawyer there.  When I was sawing in Lovedale, that's one of the suburbs of Two Egg, I was offered a small piece of land upon which to build a house, and the help building it, if I would stay there and saw for everybody.  I finally had to leave in the middle of the night to get away.  :D

You will meet some great people and have a good time, if you allow yourself.  I promise.  :)
I just finished reading The Hobbit (or There and Back Again) for the second time in 30 years or so.  Many similarities to this description except for the Elves, Goblins, Wargs, Dragon, Dwarves, Wizards, Spiders and so on.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

sandhills

Hope everything works out for you MM, my luck is nothing ever breaks down when you're right there at home and have the means to fix it, but remember I've tried to make a living with junk  :D :D.

terrifictimbersllc

I have been "on the road" several times and it is very enjoyable looking back at it especially the pictures.   The best part is getting home again.  Next best is making it to the motel room or finally getting comfortable in  guest accommodations.     Next worst is worrying about all that equipment sticking up out of the back of the truck and whether the sawmill will still be there in the morning.  Worst is piling everything you can in the cab when you get to the motel,  or when it starts to rain, and chaining everything together with cables.  Plastic coated cables up to about 30 feet long are very handy and economical at Home Depot.  Oh and one more thing, carrying the metal detector in its long black case into the motel room after hours and then out again early in the morning, i felt like a "hit man".   Good Luck and it will be exciting to hear about your adventures.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Peter Drouin

good luck MM hope all gos well 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

weisyboy

i do it all the time, take my sawg and roll it out in the sawdust.

apart from the regular spares i alway have.

fencing wire its amazing what can be fixed with 8 gauge wire and a cob and co.

cable ties also very usefull.

JB weld

electrical cable

fuel hose (has many uses)

lighter or matches.

amoung other things.
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

D Hagens

Socks, lots of socks, it's the one thing that I always remember. :) Also don't forget your first-aid kit.

Woodwalker

I've spent several weeks out of town a time or two. It's been my experience that after staying in  motels, eating at restaurants and eating sandwiches and Vienna sausages all week you start yearning for a home cooked meal and your easy chair. When you get home the first thing your gonna hear after welcome home is "lets go out and eat".
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

paul case

good luck mm. take your computer so we can get updates on your progress.

tom,
where is two egg?

weisy,
what are the matches for exactly?

pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

junkorgem

I worked out of town for ten years plus. It was an adventure at times but living out of a suitcase gets old. Sometimes you gotta follow the money. If I were going to go out of town again I would lay my suitcase out on the outside wall of my bedroom for a couple days and gradually add things as I thought of them. I used to be set up good but I unpacked my bag bout 6 years ago. :)

Magicman

This is not going to be a normal for me.  Remember, I'm retired and am committed to a Cabin Addition.

The sawing opportunities that are available are totally amazing.  Of course, I've built up a good list of regular customers, plus I seem to attract a few new ones.  Portable sawmilling is kinda like that box of chocolates.  You just never quite now what the next job will be.   :)

Tom

Quotetom,
where is two egg?

Paul,
Two Egg is a spot in the road in the vicinity of Marianna, Florida.  It is South of Dothan, Alabama and the residents use Dothan for their "big city" shopping.

It is in Florida's Panhandle.

paul case

O

well, i live in cherry grove, a suburb of peoria which is a suburb of quapaw, which is a suburb of miami....... oklahoma of course.  pc
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

jamesamd

Thats a lot of sawing but were sure,both customers will be more than pleased and Home will always be there.You'll just be missing them,home cooked meals.
So,just eat steak every day away and be careful! Enjoy the road trip MM.
Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

weisyboy

matches are very usefull, quite often sompthing needs melting, or heating, lighting a fire to boil the billy, any number of things,
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

paul case

if i am working on something that isnt going my way it is probably a plus not to have any matches. pc
pc

Brucer

Matches are great when you sawed all day yesterday in wet snow and this morning the sawmill key wouldn't turn in the ignition 'cause the switch was frozen. Light a match, heat up the key, stick it in the ignition, wait 30 seconds, and turn. If it won't turn, repeat.

Somehow I think this bit of advice isn't going to be useful to Magicman :D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Magicman

Not hardly.  Weather should not be an issue and we will be into the 70's next week.  There is a drip of rain forecast for Monday night, but it should not be a problem.

The first customer called again last night.  He is so excited.   :)

clww

Good luck to you on this newest adventure, Magic!
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

Thanks guys.  As far as I know, it's ready to travel.   move_it

Thank You Sponsors!