Yoopersaw

Which would you buy?

Stihl:    MS362, MS441;

or  Jonsered:  CS2165, CS2172;

or Husqvarna:  357XP, 372XP.

Why if you have time.  Thanks.

beenthere

MS362
..because I have a 1975 041 and now a 2004 MS361. They have been saws with zero problems, and super handling a 20" bar.  I don't need any more justification than that fine performance. Good luck with your decision. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

weimedog

Quote from: Yoopersaw on March 09, 2011, 04:12:53 PM
Which would you buy?

Stihl:    MS362, MS441;

or  Jonsered:  CS2165, CS2172;

or Husqvarna:  357XP, 372XP.

Why if you have time.  Thanks.

Tough question because it depends so much on things like what you do, what brand you like, which brand has the best dealers....For me in my situation, the wood I cut typically(all hard wood from 10 to 30inches),  and frame of mind I would put them in this order....and there is NO way I can answer this question for you based on your environment and situation..just for me:

1) Jonsered CS2171..because I like the red saws And this derivative of a 372XP is about the perfect all around saw. AND usually priced better than the Orange & Funny colored options. I wonder if its in the MS362 price range for that matter.
2) Husqvarna 372 tied with Stihl MS441 (Love them both and have run samples of both)
Most will pick the tried and true 372XP. Can't beat them. The MS441 I ran happened to be smoother than my 372XP derivative. They are pricey but I really like them as well.
The above three are all really nice machines...can't go wrong with any one of them. The CS2171 & 372XP are based on a design that is tried and true in the industry for years. Proven stuff and parts & support everywhere.
I would consider adding the 372XT to that mix....after a little research. The one I saw left a good impression..actually surprised all that put their hands on it.

3) Jonsered CS2165 If bucks were tight. One of the best bang per buck concepts out there. I have  virtually new 365 Husqvarna..now I wish I had bought a CS2165...for no other reason than dealer and color preferences. They are virtually identical mechanically

4) The rest....I'm not a fan of the 357XP and don't know enough about the Stihl MS362 to comment.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

John Mc

What kind of stuff are you cutting?

If I were considering a 357XP and could afford to wait a bit, I might hold out for the Husky 362XP which is slated to replace the 357. From comments here and elsewhere, the prototypes that folks have demo'd seem pretty darn good. It's supposed to be out "real soon now", but I'd probably want to wait a bit to see how the production models hold up before jumping in.

I own a 357XP and like it a lot. I cut mainly hardwoods, but I'm not often in the big stuff (10 or 12" is "average" for me). My experience with 441/2171/372 is very limited, so I can't help you there.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Yoopersaw

I cut hardwood only with the most coming from a pile where it was stacked. 10 to 20 full cords a year for firewood.  I currently run a JRed 630 SuperII that I purchased back in 1992.  My wants are more power.  I need to do some work on the 630 and I'm worried about parts since the last time, I had to wait on clutch springs.  I've narrow my list to the CS2172 and 372XP.  Which one and why?

weimedog

Again this is an opinion..I can only comment from my perspective based on my situation as I have no clue about you or the typical saw work you do...back ground first. I have a 200 plus acre farm with around 100 acres of woodlands. We have horse & motorcycle trails, we use our hard woods for farm structures & fence materials. We harvest and mill most of the lumber for barn & structure repairs. Also burn around 10 cords a year. AND occasionally harvest and sell our trees. Last selective cut put 30 trees on the ground. Hard Maple, Oak, Cherry, Ash, Hickory etc. I also "thin" to invest in the better trees, creating firewood. In addition I have been taking down large over mature maples...sometimes in excess of 4ft in dia...lots of cutting happens. Some years more than other...this last year was light as compared to prior years. You can see the saws at my disposal in my signature. I have time on a Husqvarna 365 and a 365 built into a 372. Also plenty of the 272 series Husqvarna's. My big work is now done with one of three Jonsered 920's....SO..that's where I come from. NOT a professional by any stretch but spend a lot of my life holding onto a saw.

Back to your question. IF it was me buying a new saw with my current mix of saws and work load. AND I was going to buy new to be my primary saw...that means all the other saws spend more time on the shelf....I would go for either the Jonsered 2172 or 372XT before the standard 372/2171 saws for the following reasons. The Dealer (Who also has the Husqvarna line). I happen to like the new "Strato" versions of the 372 (372XT). Seemed to have more punch and a more forgiving power delivery than my 372 experiences. Just my impression with the short time I spent with one back to back with my 265/372..and it was a lasting impression. Also I like the idea of using less fuel. If the "Strato" 2172/372XT's do as my little 455 has done relative to it's peers..it will use less fuel while having as much top end power but have a wider power band. Also in addition to the Dealer preference, usually the Jonsereds can be had for less than the equivalent Husqvarna....and I'm used to the straight handle & like the look and color better than the Husqvarna. This is just my opinion and please note that some is subjective vs. quantitative and also note since I don't own a 2172..this is based on the short time I spent with a 372XT...but I would still pick the red version..because I like them and they make an awesome all around saw. Enough power to do anything I want. Easier on the old back than a big 80cc plus saw. I was left with the impression they have more torque than the old versions for the hardwood and if I want to pull a 28 inch bar...
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

thecfarm

Which dealer to you like,feel more comfortable with?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ed

Pick which saw feels more comfortable to you. The J-red has a straight handlebr, the Husky is curved.

I prefer the 2171 over a 372.

Ed

Yoopersaw

Only the 2172 and the 372XP are available here.

sharkey

If your looking for that size saw, have you considered that Stihl is supposed to be offering a re-release of the original ms440 to be available for purchase sometime late April or early May of 2011?  They have enough EPA credits to do this and from what Ive been told the cases will be coming from Germany with the unit being completed in Va Beach.  Otherwise, a 372xp with a little cylinder work becomes a quick cutter if that is what your looking for. 

Spike60

One reality of discussions like this is: Husky guys recommend Huskys, Stihl guys recommend Stihls, etc. That's certainly to be expected. Freely admitting that, and being a Husky/Jonny dealer, here I go.........

My best selling Husky for 10 years straight is the 372. Best sellling Jonny is the 2171. IMO, the best chassis they have ever built. And the new versions, the 372XT and the 2172 actually seem to be better saws. And I'm not a guy that "embraces change".

The little brothers to those saws, the 365 and 2165 have never sold as well as I think they should. They are essentially identicle saws with a 48mm vs 50mm bore, and they sell for about $150 less. Pretty much the same price as a 357, and a more useful saw when the wood gets big.

I'll let the Stihl guys comment on the Stihls, but I will say that if your local Husky dealer is a moron, then by all means buy a Stihl. Being a good shop myself, a good dealer can make the whole ownership experience more enjpyable. Even for guys who are completely capable of doing most of their own work, having a good shop nearby, that stocks parts, is a big plus. A lot of guys who do their own work simply don't feel that they can trust the local shop to do it correctly, (or at a reasonable price). Granted, I'm in a favorable location, but the reason a pro saw like the 372 is my best selling model is because we take care of the serious and pro users better than any shop around here.

I'm not at all trying to turn this into a commercial for my shop, the point I'm trying to make is this: Don't just think about which saw to buy; give equal consideration to where you want to buy it.

Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Banjo picker

I just bought another one last week a 024 , it was the right price....the reason the saws are sthil is because the Husky dealerships kept changing from one store to another , and then finally just went away...We don't have one locally...But there is a Stihl dealer over in Pickwick Tenn...just across the state line that runs a top knotch shop ..and fairly reasonable rates...I would go with what ever saw has the best service for it..pretty much what Spiker60 said...
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Smurf

Yooper , having ran both Husky and Stihl back in the Day 288 SE & 040 and currently a MS -361 and 345 XP I would recommend the Pro Series Class saw if you intend on cutting Hard Wood for heating for a prolonged period. The 60 cc class saws will pretty well do anything a domestic cutter will require . Although I did run a 371XP a few yrs back that surprised me with its balance and overall light feel for a larger saw. I'am Old School having ran Pioneers and Mac's back in the early 60's  , actually have a few oldies that I still operate from time to time . Still wrestling with the EPA Regulated new saws , but their here to stay . I guess I favor the Purge Bulb arrangement that Husky offers currently which certainly helps with quicker normally two pull starts . All the Best in your selection . 

1270d

which shop(s) would you be using Yooper?  Mostly your choice will come down to how much you want to spend and which dealer is near to you ( or offers better support)

Ed

Quote from: Yoopersaw on March 11, 2011, 05:16:47 PM
Only the 2172 and the 372XP are available here.

Same saws, the current 2172/372 are the same saw inside, different plastic & handle bar angle, pick the one that fits you best.

Ed

Smurf

Spike my Son recently purchased a Rancher 460 . I used it last week along side my MS-361 was rather impressed with it's Performance for a Home owner or Prosumer Class Unit . Being a Dealer what are your thoughts on it's merits long term ?   :-\

tyb525

I have a husky and two stihls. I'd pick the stihls every time - but that's just me, I think they feel much better, and I've always had great dealer service.

All those saws will do you great, so it comes down to which dealer is closest with the best service in your area.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Yoopersaw

Quote from: 1270d on March 12, 2011, 09:38:15 PM
which shop(s) would you be using Yooper?  Mostly your choice will come down to how much you want to spend and which dealer is near to you ( or offers better support)

Same shop for both and really the same price.  It's just west of Marquette, south of the highway.

Smurf

Yep remember playing a few Tournament Hockey Games at the University Rink Yooper ! Nice town Marquette Michigan .

Yoopersaw

Thanks for all the replies.  I went with the 372XP.

mad murdock

Quote from: Yoopersaw on April 04, 2011, 04:04:17 PM
Thanks for all the replies.  I went with the 372XP.
You will not be disappointed Yoopersaw, dat der is one good ole swede saw, dontcha know!! ;D
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Wildcat

Wise choice, you can't go wrong with a husqvarna 372xp, great power to weight ratio, I  run a 24 & 32'' bar on mine with plenty of power cutting through hardwood... ;D ;D

Yoopersaw

That's good info to know.  I have a 20 inch at present and it just makes it on a few of the logs I'm cutting.  Thanks.

drilldog

My favorite saw is the 372. I have a 372xpg that i just put a 52mm piston & cylinder on (ported & polished). saw runs like a babys nose. you can put a 272xp piston & cylinder on your Jred 630 super II and wake it right up.

Thank You Sponsors!