iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

small pines

Started by taylorsmissbeehaven, March 09, 2011, 02:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taylorsmissbeehaven

I have a customer who has 40 small pines they want milled. This was a young pine thicket and they are 12-16" at base  on the larger ones and tapper quickly. I tried to discourage them and suggested selling it for pulpwood might be a better idea but they really want this cut.  I told them I would do the best I could and get as much out of it as possible but some of it is just too small to be cut(3-4" on small end) does anyone have input on this job.  Thanks Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

terrifictimbersllc

Little logs give little boards. Saw what they want at a price that makes you want to do it.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Tom

Approach it from the standpoint of advertising.  They are too small, but the more you get from them the more of a hero you become.   Just make comments along and along about how much you got from that "Stick".   You might also talk up the fact that he is being smart, wanting to use his own wood.  It makes the customer feel good.  But you also have to train them and show them, as you saw, why little wood is not economically advisable.  Nine inch tops are the starting point or the mill can't do a good job of clamping the log.  Make sure he is there for the sawing so that he can see what you have to go through.  :)

paul case

i have done some of that little log cutting on small post oaks from my property. framed my house with them. the slab management was a big deal. almost as much firewood slabs left over as there was logs to start with. for me it was crutial on those small ones to lift the little end and saw into the little end first. otherwise you spend a lot of time with a measure trying to figure out where to start and once in a while you ''miss'' and leave a board on the slab. go for it. i sawed a lot of little pines for a few customers and still got a good paycheck from it. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

DRB

I would charge by the hour not the board foot on little logs.  You can make money charging by the hour.  By the board foot you will lose.

woodmills1

note....... :D.....using a possible danger word

we call them pecker pines up here
Ifin they be straight they give nice but narrow lumber
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

red oaks lumber

by the hour
i had a guy bring in atrailer load of pine "logs" 4-7" dia. first thing i told him was "were not gettin 1x12's here" saewd most the day good for me not so good for him.
not matter thre size you'll always get sawdust and slabs
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

JSNH

While cuttin the small straight pine tops and getting only 2-2x4's out of one it seams to be a waste of time but those are the straighest and best framing 2x4 you make. I run a circle mill and it is pretty easy to zip thru those but there is no production to speak of.

tapper2

I use my circle mill and just bang through those small pines and spruce as fast as I can, real decent lumber. Saw small end first. Let the customer get what the customer wants. Whether they think it'll be cheaper than the local lumber yard, or they just want to use lumber from their land, show them the process, emphasize on quality of the boards, then charge them accordingly. Saw in 2x' and 1x's, to get the most for them. Small logs are great for sawing window jam extension, mop board, trim....etc.
Belsaw m14, 1992 Ford 1720, Homebuilt  bandmill, Franklin 120b & a bunch of worn out, banged up stuff........gotta love it.

bandmiller2

Two slabs and a streak of sawdust. Tom brings up a good point we are in a service industry sometimes patiance and educating a customer is the best route.I cut some real doggy logs for a guy crooked rotten cores.I showed him the problems with his logs as I cut them,I'am sure I'll see him again hopefully with some better logs.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

I didn't notice any mention of length.  There is considerable less loss from taper if they are bucked into 8' lengths rather than 12's or 16's.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

taylorsmissbeehaven

Thanks for all the advice! I have them working on a cut sheet and we'll get together and let them see what i'm talking about. Magicman you're right. these logs are 18' long and cutting them down will help alot. Thanks again to all. Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

Thank You Sponsors!