iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Band Blade choice for Hemlock

Started by Wintergreen Mountain, March 09, 2011, 11:08:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wintergreen Mountain

I have a job of about 39000 bd/ft of Hemlock to saw in May. What are the best band blades to use?
   They were pulled out in the snow, so they are fairly clean.
   Standard, Steelite, Carbide. 7*, 10*, 12*, ?
   I have used only the Standard 10* blades in the past. If i can do better i could use a few suggestions.

Thanks, LEON
1920 Ford 4x4 tractor, forks & bucket. 2010 36" Turner Mills band mill. Cat-Claw blade sharpener. Cat-Claw Dual Tooth Setter. Cat D3 crawler dozer. Cat 215c excavator, Ford L9000 dump truck. Gardner Denver 190 portable air compressor. KatoLight 40Kw trailer mounted gen set. Baker M412 4-head planer.

terrifictimbersllc

Nothing hard about hemlock except the knots.  :D :D  I'd start with 10's and switch to 9's depending on how wide and how fast.  Seeing you don't have 9's i'm guessing 7's are the ticket for the fastest sawing, though I haven't used them yet.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

jcbrotz

Normal 10's for hemlock for me for frozen use 9's. but that hopefully won't be a problem :-X
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

Whitetail_Addict

I have cut several thousand bdft of Hemlock with 10 degree blades on my LT28 with excellent results.  Like mentioned above the only thing hard about them is the knots.  I have experienced a little blade deflection while sawing through the knots too fast but not enough to really worry about.  My biggest complaint about Hemlock is shake.  It is very frustrating to spend all the time sawing logs into lumber only to have them split at the growth rings due to shake.  It seems to be the worst in the butt logs. Lots of times even when I think I've cut the log above the shake and have good looking boards I find they split after they start to dry a little.  I wish you luck with the logs and wouldn't think twice about sawing them with 10 degree blades.
2010 WoodMizer LT28, John Deere 4520 w/ FEL, 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel, 2007 Polaris Ranger XP 700, 127 Acres of Northeast hardwoods in New York's Whitetail country

Wintergreen Mountain

Thanks for the info terrifictimbersllc,  jcbrotz and Whitetail_Addict.     

Leon
1920 Ford 4x4 tractor, forks & bucket. 2010 36" Turner Mills band mill. Cat-Claw blade sharpener. Cat-Claw Dual Tooth Setter. Cat D3 crawler dozer. Cat 215c excavator, Ford L9000 dump truck. Gardner Denver 190 portable air compressor. KatoLight 40Kw trailer mounted gen set. Baker M412 4-head planer.

Chuck White

I agree, I use the Wood-Mizer Double Hard .045x1¼x10°.

If you're into a lot of knots, just slow down a little!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!