iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing Ash into Cants

Started by krazykioti, March 08, 2011, 06:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krazykioti

Hi I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to saw some of my Ash trees into cants before the Emerald Ash Borer kills them. The cants could be resawn at a later date into flooring or made into mouldings.Would sealing the ends slow down the air drying process enough so that you could avoid twisting of the cant? Could Ash become the future Chestnut?

shinnlinger

I was thinking the same thing.  I haven't sawn much ash, but it does like to move around, but a cant might help with that some and a weighted pile would be key.  I would anchorseal the ends for sure.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

red oaks lumber

if you don't have an immediate need for ash why kill the tree? maybe the eab won't kill your trees. in any case if your thinking flooring and trim cut everything 1/1/8 thick and sticker your lumber for future projects.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Dave Shepard

In my experience, I would cut it into boards, rather than cants. I think you will have less degrade. I dried about 2mbf in the shop a couple of winters ago. We were thinking flooring, but it was cheaper to buy than we could get it made, so we made some really nice stickers out of it.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

woodmills1

purchased flooring can often be cheaper than having it milled by someone else

unless you already have a table saw and a jointer and the either or a moulder or a shaper

If you make your own with already have tools,  way cheaper

BTW  rent the floor sander, you don't want the story why   ::)(it is here)
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!