iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which Husky Saw?

Started by Bobvt, December 16, 2003, 10:57:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobvt

Going to buy a second saw to take into woods (weekend logging).  It will be used primarily as back-up as well as limbing.  Pretty much decided on the Husky 246xp, but any thoughts on the 350 and 353.

Bob

Kevin

I judge everything by my Husqvarna 262, 62cc saw.
I wouldn't want anything smaller for a general woodlot saw.
It has plenty of power and isn't over weight.
Depends on the size of timber you'll be cutting but you won't be unhappy with any of the Husqvarna saws if you get the saw that suits your own personal needs..

Bobvt

Kevin,

I have a bigger saw (stihl 039).  Just looking for a bachup and one to just limb with.  While the 246xp is the pick of the three,  I was wondering if the the 350 would suffice ($85 difference between price of two).

Bob

Kevin

My preference is the XP.
For occasional use someone might consider the 350 sufficient but my saws get a good workout so I opt for the XP.

David_c

bobvt i have the 350 not that impressed if i was you i would get the 372 . if to big i would either go with the 346 or you might want to check out the 357.

qatanlison

Bobvt, I had a 262XPG as my only saw for a couple of years, and still have it. Over here there's no match for it; I use it with 13"-24" bars and fall timber up to 60". A logger friend recently bought a 351, the pro version of the 350 or more accurately, the not so aggressive brother to the 346XP. It's a very agile and light saw with a nice powerband. I use it for climbing and limbing. The difference between the 351 and 350 is that the 351 has the snap-lock on the hood. Some weeks ago we modified the muffler on it - and got the acceleration of the 346XP. All in all, the 346XP is what the loggers in sweden use as a standard for manual falling. Husky says it pulls bars up to 18" - but I recommend using a 13"-15" otherwise you kinda loose the point of having a small, light and nifty saw...

SasquatchMan

A day without David_P telling someone to buy a 372 for trimming their toenails is like a day without sunshine, isn't it folks... :D

Bob, I think us weekend warriors need to take the advice around here with a grain of salt.  These guys rely on their tools for their living, and need to go consistently fast.  Those of us who are taking down trees for firewood or purposes like that can get away with much less in terms of equipment.  Your 390 is plenty of saw for sure (I have a 290 and don't limb with it much, I still use an axe, because, well, I have one.).  So buy something nice and light - something you can control easily.  
Lots of people seem to like an MS260 for that sort of thing too.

All the best
Senior Member?  That's funny.

David_c

hey sas when you do your toenails with the 372 you just have to be careful you dont take to much off. :D

Bobvt

I looked at the MS260.  Really nice, but it would cost about $60 more than 346xp (260's aren't discounted).  I haven't seen a 351xp.  The 039 is all I want to handle, altough when I'm bucking up some big sugar maple, I wish it had another horse.  I think the 346 is the ticket for me, given primary use will be to limb (& back up).  Going to do a pretty extensive cut on 100 acres over the next three years.  50% hemlock, 25% white pine, remainder hardwood.  

Thanks folks for all the input.

Bob

Typhoon

I have a Husky 350 and I love it. The thing I like best about the 350 is this.... it uses a 95vp narrow kerf chain. (It is a nice aggressive chain too!) Being that the chain is narrower, it takes less power to pull it, and to me seems very efficient. Therefore you have a lighter saw, with what seems like the power of a slightly larger saw. And I like the way the 350 revs on the top end. Very  nice and is said to be the smoothest Husky on the planet. I run an 18" GB Pro-Top bar on mine and bury the bar all the time without any problems.. Good luck!
-Brad
Brad Dawson, Anna IL (Southern tip)
Husky 346xpNE, Husky 357XP, Norwood Lumbermate2000

WV_hillbilly

Don't be  scared to buy that 350 Bob.   I  got a new one in a firewood trading deal this fall and really like it. i have been a Stihl man for 16 years and think The Husky's give them a run for the money .  I  agree with all of what Typhoon said. I liked the  Husky so much I bought a 372 xp for my larger stuff. By   the way I run a Stihl 028 , 041 (old and tired)  Husky 350 and 372xp I likem all.  The greatest thing about the 350 is I traded for it, then cut and sold about 10 cords of firewood with it. It hard for me to decide what saws to take cutting so I rotate them every  other week .
Hillbilly

Bobcat_pa

I have one of those new 353 saws.  Light (approx 11lbs), easy & reliable strarting, decompression,  & one of the lowest vibs saws I have ever owned.   I keep a 16" bar on most of the time which gives it a good balance.  I really like this saw.     I do notice it to be a little weak on the lower rpm's, but that could just be the carb setting.    One more major point is the air filter does not seem to get as dirty as my other saws (stihl).   I must be in the design of the Husky, but it is very noticable when running both brands at the same work spot.   This site has a lot of postive comments on the 345xp, so it has to be a good choice.   bob

SasquatchMan

Bob, the only advantage (and it probably isn't a $60 one) would be that you could switch bars and chains around if you bought another stihl... less easy with the husky from what I understand.

Bobvt

I'm in more of a quandry then before my first post!  

Tally:
     346XP, 2 positives;
     350, 2 positives, 1 negative;
     351 (I think discontinued), 1 positive;
     MS260 (to expensive), 1 positive; and
     forget these small saws and get a 372XP.

I must be some sort of contrarian, but that 353 looks good.  Come on, somebody make this decision harder!  Compared to the 346, it is .4 lbs. heavier and .1 hp less, but it must have more torque and is $35 cheaper.  

Paralysis from Analysis!!

Bob

Bobvt

Bobcat_pa:

Now one vote for the 353.

Bob

Larry

Bob,
I'll add to your paralysis.  I bought a 350 about 4 years ago as a backup to my 272xp and 066.  Also have used it for pruning around the house and at the sawmill to clean up logs.  It really has had very little use but has been both reliable and did the job.  Never really has impressed me though other than the lack of vibration.

You mentioned you were going to use the saw for limbing.  The 346xp is a far better saw for that as it has more power.  Cough up the few extra bucks and only cry once. ;D  Don't know anything about the 351 or 353.  
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

SasquatchMan

I'll sell ya my axe, if you like, Bob :D

Ron Scott

The husky 353 replaced the 351with added emission controls.
I've the pro 351which has been a good saw for my uses for firewood, limbing, "clean up" etc. Most of the "productive' tree fallers here use the 372 XP though. It may still be my next saw with the 351 as "back-up".
~Ron

Bobvt

I can't believe I'm agonizing over $80.  I've used the pending timber harvest to spent nearly $23,000 in the last 4 months.  New tractor less sale of old, $19,000; new winch, $2,500; fit up of tractor $1,400 (brush guard, front chains, additional cross links for old rear chains, hardware for 2 saws, gas, oil, and cant hook holders; and bunch of other stuff.

I'm going to buy the 346, but I think that 353 (based on specs.) may be the best of show.  The features on it appear to be identical to the 346 with one exception rpms (15,500 v. 13,000).  As Qatanlison referered in his post, a little exhaust work and I bet you get a 346 on steriods.

Thanks.  I really do appreciate all the insights.

Bob

David_c

hey bob i think you forgot one i had also suggested the 357.

ScottAR

Hate to hijack this thread,  Where'd ya get a brush cab for your tractor, or did ya make it?  
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

qatanlison

Bob, the 346XP is the way to go. As I said before, the saw is the choice in the woods used by pro's over here - and for limbing, the XP engine is more aggresive and rapid accelerating than the non XP.

One tip if you you decide on the 346XP, when changing the sprocket/rim, be sure to use the plastic piston-stopper - The metal one has been known to break the piston-top; The pistons on those high-revving saws are very thin...

tony_marks

well  your back is probably a lot younger than mine...
  but if u already got a good bucking saw,,id advise the 026 or
346xp. very lite but strong enuff to get u by,, if u 039 acts up in the field.,,some day..

Bobvt

Scott,

The brush guard just covers the front grill - protects the radiator.

Bob

Bobcat_pa

BUT SasquatchMan ,  it is more fun, to have more saws !

ScottAR

Bob,  gotcha, many thanks!
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

RSteiner

I have a 272xp for the bigger jobs, got a good deal on this saw the year they discontinued it.  I also have a 357 which is a nice limbing saw.

When I purchased the 357 the 357xp had not come out yet, if I were in the market for a limbing saw it would be the 357xp.

Randy
Randy

firtol88

qatanlison  That's an interesting little tidbit.
There's men who drink Guinness, and there's men who drink what's left when we're done with it.

* Note to Democrats, yes please flee to Canada!

Thank You Sponsors!