iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

This is a heads up warning/rant on Chinese/hardware/junk...

Started by IMERC, March 08, 2011, 08:46:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IMERC

Monday morning I was putting the transmission/transfer case as a one piece unit from one of the trucks into the bed of another...
Guesstimated weight is 800/900 pounds give or take...

As I was lifting, one of the two 1/2" clevis slip hooks let go releasing the choker style arraignment...
In the fraction of an instant the unit is on top of my right foot and my left hand is between the bell housing and truck bumper... When it fell the bell housing clipped the trailer hitch turning it towards me... I also suspect my glove snagged on something keeping my hand where it was...

Contact point to the foot was directly on top of the foot right at the ankle/foot intersection... There's no doubt that the steel toe boots preserved the toes but the portion of the foot between the toes and ankle could be better... I'd like it to be anyways...
The ring, middle and index knuckles were separated... The ring and middle fingers were also broken...

I guess I'll be here for the rest of week at least...

Now for the rant...

That hook clearly says 3500Kg... It also clearly says made in China...

The hook separated at the clevis eye and the hook's neck... The metal at the break looks to be very granular similar to pot metal...
I am so sick of Chinese junk and their economic fraudulent ways of doing business...
This has got to stop...
It is out of control...

Note: This was not my chain or hooks...

This is also a heads up for any body that has Chinese/hardware/junk in their working inventory ...
I was also working alone which turned out to be not so smart either...
Think things through... CYA...

Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

treetech

Wow! Sorry to hear that. Life can change in the wink of an eye. You try to be as careful as you can, but we all take calculated risks based upon the information we have available. When that information is wrong, bad things can happen. Thanks for the heads up and get well soon!

Sprucegum

:o Sorry to hear about your wreck  :(

At least you can still access the Forum  ;D

IMERC

Quote from: Sprucegum on March 08, 2011, 09:32:09 AM
  :o Sorry to hear about your wreck  :(

At least you can still access the Forum  ;D

me too...

I gots my mouse still and
and my breakneck typing speed of several words a min has really been trimmed....

sawguy21

WOW, I am really glad it was not any worse. We consumers have to stop demanding the lowest price and accepting shoddy merchandise. >:(
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

IMERC

Quote from: sawguy21 on March 08, 2011, 09:54:33 AM

We consumers have to stop demanding the lowest price and accepting shoddy merchandise. >:(

WTB that two bit hook is going to prove to be very expensive...

H60 Hawk Pilot

I had similair injury when the hook broke off of a two ton chain hoist. I was lifting a 1 1/2 diesel engine from a tractor truck. The engine broke away from from the hook when in was about a foot from the ground. I was turning the ratchet handle when it broke and it came down on the end of my left foot. It cut the end of my big toe off and it was difficult to get the engine off of my foot.. lucky I had help there that day.

After I was doctored up, I went back to my shop to see what happened. The hook was cracked at the swivel/pivot point. I found out that this hoist had been used to pull out truck tractor's that were stuck in the snow. So, the guy I borrowed the 2 ton ratchet hoist had jerked the hoist from pulling with it and weaken the hook and set me up for injury.

What I've learned:

Never get under the load when hoisting anything, and keep in mind that the load may break away at any time !

Always use chains, hooks and lift hoist that are good quaility and never exceed it's lift rating !

If you borrow or rent lifting gear... inspect it very closely. Remember that... some people abuse chains and hoist's from time to time and your're setting yourself up for trouble with borrowed gear.

Yes, I have import  chains, cable & chain hoists, etc. .  I just got two new (china) 20 ft. trucker chains the other day. I needed two chains (was short 2) when I brought a dump truck home on a trailer. I never break my rules with import or american lifting gear. This also applies to lifting transmissions or the like under trucks or cars.. always stay clear !  I try to pre test lifting gear when I can by putting it under load at it's rated weight. I have a 5000 lb. lift gage rig that gives me good idea if the china stuff is junk or not (good lift test rig).  

Yes, when taking the last bolt out or putting the 1st bolt in.. you're in danger. I always have a big block or 1 or 2 safety chain(s) in place to catch the load if something happens. I work alone most of the time and xtra careful..... I really practice what I preach (above).

Avey  
Case 1150B & IHC TD-340 Dozer's, IHC 4WD 3800 & CAT 436B Hoe's, Franklin 170, Semi's: (1) Freightliner, (2) KW's, Marmon, Mack w/ Prentice Ldr., F-700 Crane Trk., (6) Mid Size Trk's. - Dumps, Flats, 1 Ton w/ 40 ft. 5th Whl. & (4) Semi Tlr's., LM 2000 Mill, (2) XL 12's., Solo 681, EFCO 152, Old Iron.

Warbird

DanG!  :(  While the injuries you received are serious, I am glad it wasn't worse.  And I agree with your rant 100%.

IMERC

Quote from: Warbird on March 08, 2011, 01:10:13 PM
DanG!  :(  While the injuries you received are serious, I am glad it wasn't worse.  And I agree with your rant 100%.

I'll get better....

My bad attitude towards offshore manufacturers has dropped a notch or six...
and if this dips into my fishing time things will really get ugly...

since I was working alone...and I had a trans sitting on my foot and my hand pinned...
if I hadn't had a cell in my pocket...
things could have very well have gotten worse...

WHEW!!!

doctorb

I agree with Warbird.  This could have been much worse.  How's your hand?  What was broken and did they need tio fix anything?  Doctorb
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Magicman

Very few chains, hooks, and other fasteners are rated for overhead use.  This, of course, does not excuse the failure that you experienced.  I'm just glad that as serious as it was, that it was not even more so.

Your rant was spot on.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

IMERC

Quote from: doctorb on March 08, 2011, 01:56:27 PM
I agree with Warbird.  This could have been much worse.  How's your hand?  What was broken and did they need tio fix anything?  Doctorb

Left hand - The ring, middle and index knuckles were separated... (got moved uphill and off to side a little bit the way it looked) The ring and middle fingers were also broken between the knuckle and the next joint... now those were bent..
they pulled stretched twisted and manipulated the hand/fingers...
it aches kinda but no real pain - pain..
when they worked on it - that short circuited the brain...
splinted right now...
but if somebuddy looks the other way for a heartbeat I'm dishing it...
annoying POS..

Right foot - cracked the first two of the long bones on the top of the foot looking at the top of the foot L/R ...
they did nothing more wrapped my foot an told me to ice/heat 10/20 cycle it along with keeping it elevated for now...
believe a cast is later (Friday)...

the pain isn't like it was.. not even close...
hand is annoying and the foot is okay I guess till I raid the refrigerator or head off to the john..
weight on the heal is nothing...
on the ball of the foot and it only takes a blink to tell me I shouldn't be doing that...
heat does better than cold

not taking any pain meds...
don't feel as though I need them..

they cut the glove off but when they setup to cut the boot off - wasn't gonna let that happen...
the boot's off.. I survived...

IMERC

Quote from: Magicman on March 08, 2011, 02:29:59 PM
Very few chains, hooks, and other fasteners are rated for overhead use.  This, of course, does not excuse the failure that you experienced.  I'm just glad that as serious as it was, that it was not even more so.

Your rant was spot on.

me too...

gary

I have had a couple of chains break when lifting things. I now use old seatbelts instead of chains whenever I can. Just tie them on to the lift rings on an engine.

sprucebunny

Sorry to hear about your injuries. I hope you heal up fast.

I'm with you 200% on the rant. Getting hard to find American made hooks, shackles ... metal stuff in general. It's sad.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

clww

Glad that it sounds like you'll make a total recovery!
100% agree with your rant, too. That's one reason you won't catch me in ChinaMart!
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

John Mc

Not to take the heat off of Chinese junk, but you mention that it was not your chain or hooks. That can be a problem in itself... do you know they have not been abused? It would not take many instances of abuse to set it up for failure.

Here's hoping for a full and speedy recovery!

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

caver

Heavy equipment guys at work were installing a new cab on a large Cat wheeled loader. The replacement cab came with lifting eyes that looked a bit small (what I heard). Hey! it came from the plant that way so should be fine right?. They snapped and damaged the cab. Nobody was hurt. Vendor took resposibility for the damage.
Baker HD18

sawguy21

That is all well and good but who is going to bring back the guy hurt or killed. Is a lawyer talking to the cab manufacturer? They need to be accountable for more than damage to the product.
I worked in the helicopter industry including heli-logging for a number of years and we got safety hammered into us until our heads pounded. Yet people still got hurt and a few didn't come home again. Usually it was human error but mechanical failure was occasionally a factor.

IMERC

Quote from: John Mc on March 08, 2011, 09:27:46 PM
Not to take the heat off of Chinese junk, but you mention that it was not your chain or hooks. That can be a problem in itself... do you know they have not been abused? It would not take many instances of abuse to set it up for failure.

Here's hoping for a full and speedy recovery!

John Mc

the hook looked new...
it was rated for 7700#....
turned out the tranny and transfer together weighed 740....
should have been no contest....

the metal at the break was grainy and looked just like pot metal...

bama20a

I know it was painful,But at least you are still around here to tell & remind us.That is to be thankful for.
I broke my shoulder & torn a muscle back around the 1st of the year,They operated on me 2 days after Christmas,I'm still off from work(when you get our age you heal slow :D)
Bad thing is I've laid around on my butt all winter & now I don't have any pants that will fit ;D.
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

Busy Beaver Lumber

Imerc

Sorry to hear about your injury and wish you a speedy recovery. Your rant is right on the money as well.

I have had it with the china junk as well. A friend of mine built a log arch in the fall and put a china made electric winch on it that appeared to be off decent quality and that claimed to be 100% waterproof on the box and in the instructions. He calls me up about 2 weeks ago and asks me to come over and take a look at it since it stopped working after he had it stored outside over the winter. Upon taking it apart, I removed almost a half dixie cup of water from the motor and had to free up the now corroded brushes. Some waterproof unit this was. He has it stored almost 4 feet off the ground, so the only water it ever saw was occasional rain and snow.

Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

tyb525

7700 pounds is 7700 pounds regardless of vertical or horizontal pull...and at less than 10% of that weight..that is totally unacceptable.

Whenever I have to buy towing/pulling/winching equipt., I try to get it at auctions or similar. Old, heavy duty gear, you know it's tough when it's lasted so many decades, it's usually cheaper than new, and you know almost all of it is high quality american made.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

IMERC

last Saturday I needed a 9/16" steel twist bit....
found a made in China for 22$ at Ace hardware...
no American made ones to be had....
the third hole chipped (took chunks out of) both cutting edges...
Ace warrantied the bit...
while trying to finishing the third hole the bit split length wise... (stamped bit???)...
Ace warrantied that one and then told me there was no point in taking a third one...

caught up to my supplier today...
Silver and Deming  M7 reduced shank made in USA drill bit...
cost all of $11.50..... plus tax....
and it finished the third hole along with the remaining 17 and seemed no worse for the wear...

I did use my drill press...
I did use cutting oil...
and it was 3/8" brass plate I was trying to drill...

chinese and cheap...
but not inexpensive...

sawguy21

tyb, that is fine to a point but how do you know the equipment was used for it's intended purpose within it's limitations? I am really leery of pre owned slinging equipment, I want new from a recognized manufacturer.

Thank You Sponsors!