iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pulled the trigger

Started by yankeeredneck, March 13, 2023, 01:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yankeeredneck

Well.... I pulled the trigger on a new Woodland Mills HM130max. The wife wanted to try it out since she does a lot of crafts and we have barns that need rebuilding so it just made sense. Plus -- with the added benifit of doing some indoor remodeling --- it would save me from having to always run out to get lumber (lol).

Ordered it Friday and got tracking info this morning.

Now --- where to put the thing when it gets here...... :-\ :D

DanMc

Congratulations on your new mill!  Welcome to the fun! It is wonderful to be able to cut your own lumber.  

Did you get the trailer package?  You'll need to figure out what to mount the track to if there's no trailer.  

I started out with the HM126 and now have a Woodmizer LT35HD on order.  Beware.  The same thing could happen to you.  
LT35HDG25
JD 4600, JD2210, JD332 tractors.
28 acres of trees, Still have all 10 fingers.
Jesus is Lord.

yankeeredneck

For now - we had planned on putting it on a small set up behind the house until the wife determines a better spot on our farm. She ran a HM126 on a trailer but didn't want it to be "too portable" --her words. I am getting things ready for when she does decide so I can build her a sawmill shed. I am just the labor as she says lol.

If things get very busy for her -- we would be looking into one of three options --- all depending on how busy she gets I guess. But for now -- its all about the farm and her projects around it. We have over 50% woods on our 65 acre farm and have friends that are clearing land for people all the time. So logs should not be a problem. Starting off "small" and seeing where it goes.

rusticretreater

Dang.  Where did you find this yankee lassie?  

I have the HM130Max and love it.  Big capacity, lower cost, good quality and excellent customer support.  The only real issue I have had with mine is the lubrication valve at the bottom of the tank.  I could not get mine to stay adjusted.  So it is fully open and I use a pinch clamp on the line. Use less lube than you think you should when starting out or you will throw the blade.

Also, you need a hammer drill to assemble it as the nylon lock nuts will wear you out. 
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

yankeeredneck

lol She has supported me throughout the years -- raised our kids -still since they are teens now -- so I figure I would do something to help her. just a drop in the bucket I guess.
O-- btw -- lol sometimes us Yankees get the job done better than some of you Southerns lol --- J/K. Im the lucky one on this one.

From what my wife said - the mills should be here by Friday so I have some work to do to get her ready.

RetiredTech

Congratulations. I'm sure you'll both love it.
Philippians 4:8

Branson 4520R, EA Wicked Root Grapple, Dirt Dog Pallet Forks
Echo cs-450 & cs-620p , Husqvarna 136, Poulan Pro, and Black Max Chainsaws
Partially built bandsaw mill

jpassardi

Congrats, good bang for the buck mill - enjoy.

Yankee? Hold on, is NC not South of the Mason Dixon?
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

Crossroads

Congratulations! Be careful, your story sounds a bit like mine did 8 or 9 years ago. Now I run my mill full time......
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

fluidpowerpro

You will never look at a tree the same way.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

yankeeredneck

Quote from: jpassardi on March 13, 2023, 07:53:40 PM
Congrats, good bang for the buck mill - enjoy.

Yankee? Hold on, is NC not South of the Mason Dixon?
lol I was born and raised in NH --- moved and married the farmers daughter as it was.
Crossraods --- If she can make more than what I do --- then so be it. And if she does --- Im all for it
And you are right fluidpowerpro --- already looking going "we can use the slabs off of that for the barn" --- already have a few projects lol

OlJarhead

Congrats!

And you WILL LOVE having your own lumber stacked and dried and ready to use for whatever project comes up!
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

thecfarm

Born in NH? Well you better buy a Logrite cantdog or peavy from Logrite.  logrite_cool Sponsor on the left, made in CT!!!!! 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Andy1981

Congratulations on the new mill , I just purchased a new hm130 max as well. I ordered last Thursday and picked it up at their buffalo ny warehouse ( only 40 min away from me) Monday afternoon. 

NE Woodburner

@yankeeredneck and @Andy1981 - This is the mill I am also considering pulling the trigger on this spring/summer. I would get the trailer package as I have two woodlots that are a few miles apart and seems easier to move the sawmill to the logs than logs to the mill for me.

I would appreciate any feedback you have as you start to set up and run. I would love hydraulics, but this will be for personal use and maybe favors for friends/family so I really can't justify more than a manual mill at this point. I'm seriously considering adding the siding attachment as well.

Andy1981

Quote from: NE Woodburner on March 16, 2023, 07:39:34 AM
@yankeeredneck and @Andy1981 - This is the mill I am also considering pulling the trigger on this spring/summer. I would get the trailer package as I have two woodlots that are a few miles apart and seems easier to move the sawmill to the logs than logs to the mill for me.

I would appreciate any feedback you have as you start to set up and run. I would love hydraulics, but this will be for personal use and maybe favors for friends/family so I really can't justify more than a manual mill at this point. I'm seriously considering adding the siding attachment as well.
I pretty much  bought all the accessories plus 3 extensions. I did not get the trailer as I will build my own as you can't make the mill longer than 16 with the woodland mills trailer. Mine is still in boxes in my shop .

yankeeredneck

Quote from: thecfarm on March 15, 2023, 06:47:05 PM
Born in NH? Well you better buy a Logrite cantdog or peavy from Logrite.  logrite_cool Sponsor on the left, made in CT!!!!!
Already have a peavy from them. Very good quality. I think I will have to order another for her lol

yankeeredneck

Quote from: Andy1981 on March 16, 2023, 10:54:02 AM
Quote from: NE Woodburner on March 16, 2023, 07:39:34 AM
@yankeeredneck and @Andy1981 - This is the mill I am also considering pulling the trigger on this spring/summer. I would get the trailer package as I have two woodlots that are a few miles apart and seems easier to move the sawmill to the logs than logs to the mill for me.

I pretty much  bought all the accessories plus 3 extensions. I did not get the trailer as I will build my own as you can't make the mill longer than 16 with the woodland mills trailer. Mine is still in boxes in my shop .
Wife's is sitting in PA this morning --- Delivery date is 3/23.
I didn't get extensions -- yet. I might make my own as I have the metal to do 25ft. I want to have her use it and then see if she wants to justify the bigger track.
I have a setter and have been very successful in hand sharpening blades in the past for a buddy of mine. When she gets really going --- then I can justify the sharpener lol

Thank You Sponsors!