iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First Look

Started by Duane_Moore, December 15, 2003, 07:55:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duane_Moore

8) 8) 8) saw my first saw mill today, took a drive up Alta. Ca. to see Saw In It,  cool, cool, took a load of Walnut up to him to cut for me,  Neat settup, just throw the log's on the rails and tell the saw  Sick-um, poof the job all done, thanks for the warm welcome, realy enjoyed it, best day in years, got some neat boards to play with, good lookin stuff,walnut burls, and short logs, for horn mounting, and turning stock,   Thanks again,     Duane  
village Idiot---   the cat fixers----  I am not a complete Idiot. some parts missing.

DanG

Hey Duane! Glad you had a good time. :)  Sounds like you be hooked. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

etat

Duane, first time I ever saw a sawmill, (circle mill) was 1973.  It was summertime and my first real job where you actually got  a check was working at the school  during the summer.  Really nasty type job for a teenager, stripping and moping and waxing floors, cleaning up the school, a real fine way of ruining a summer.  Well, we'd been working about a week when the agriculture teacher, Mr. T. C. Ellis walks in and tells the janitor over us he needs some guys to do some driving.  Of course, bout all of us volunteered.  Broke a few bubbles when we found out the driving was running a wheelbarrow.  Really fine hot summer day.  Well, next day same thing, he comes by and asks for a few volunteers.  Not near as many hands raised as the day before. That's OK though, he just took who volunteered.  Again, working on the ball field, shoveling and driving a wheel barrow.  Next day he come's by, and I swear, I was the only one that volunteered.  I'd a druther done anything than mop all day, and that's the truth.  He carried me to the agriculture shop and showed me around.  Saws, welders, tools, boy did I like that place.  When we got through he said we was going to the sawmill to get some bridge timbers for a project.  We went there and wound up staying almost ALL DAY!,  Well, no way could I keep my mouth shut, and next morning EVERYBODY volunteered.  He picked me out of the crowd, and I swear, I didn't mop another floor that summer.  We'd build things, we went and helped a man cut some BIG hogs(kind of got stinky that day) we worked on his tractor, we saw after his beehives, we painted in the shop, we cut a few trees, wound up being a GREAT summer, and I got PAID for it.  Mr Ellis was a kind of funny man.  Something like those guys not volunteering, he'd really never get over it.  He was absolutely one of my favorite teachers and during the course of the summer we visited 'Langford's Sawmill" several times.  The sawmill is gone now, but there's a really giant pile of sawdust sitting in what was once a hollar that you can see from the road even now.  Every time I pass by I think of Mr. T. C. Ellis. :) :) :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Duane_Moore

8)cktate, that makes me happy, the story ya told, such good memories,. Boy did I enjoy the visit to the mill. never knew it was so slick, he has a W/M super hyd,  what a saw, guess i better go buy me a mill now,but all you guys gota help me out,I don't know ship, but gota have one, first thing is to find a big bandsaw, like a meat saw, then  a 24" plainer. will work on that this week, got feelers out now for them, then a mill .. proably in Jan. got the hollidays and stuff, gota have a mill that will cut 30" trees, nedd your guys help on this one.   thanks,  Duane,, ps  does not need to be portable,

village Idiot---   the cat fixers----  I am not a complete Idiot. some parts missing.

Minnesota_boy

I saw a big bandsaw in Scotia, California.  Last I heard the mill shut down, so maybe you could buy it cheap,  Oh yeah, this one isn't protable.  When I saw it the first time they were sawing some 12 foot diameter redwood.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

SawInIt CA

Glad you enjoyed yourself Duane. Next on my list is a slabber for the big dogs. :o

Duane_Moore

8) 12' redwoods, cool, what's the price? ifin you loan me half,and somebody else loan me 50%, lets see, yep I'll buy it, get   Saw in it to run it, and I count the money,   this will work, how's about a profit sharing program,? 401K?, OK guys, now tell me about baby saw mills, Baker Wood Buddy. BBC Ripsaw,XL4. Hudson Oscar 28".  or what ever guys, stay under 3500.00$ new, or used in this area, give me some help on brands please,  Duane 8)

Ianab

Hi Duane
At the risk of starting up the whole swingblade/bandmill debate again... see if you can find a s/h Peterson log locust or similar. I was in similar situation 6 months back and as band mills are like hens teeth here in NZ, I ended up with my chainsaw powered Peterson. The simplicity and ease of use are a big plus to the new sawyer. A read of the manual.. a crash course from the previous owner and a couple of logs and I was fairly confident sawyer... still heaps to learn of course  :P
And being able to cut any practical sized log is a big plus.. 6" or 6'. If I cant drag the log to the mill, I'll wheel the mill to the log :)
Just something to think about anyway

ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Duane_Moore

8)thanks, Ianab, thats one choice, been looking at the peterson book but didn't know who to ask about them,   thanks, Duane ;D

Duane_Moore

:P anybody got any prices or info on D&L Double cuts. looks nice to me. but web will not give any prices?   Duane :)

Ianab

Hi Duane
I'm not an expert.. but feel free to ask any Q's
this is my mill in action
 https://forestryforum.com/cgi-bin/board/YaBB.pl?board=sawmill;action=display;num=1071393618

I think the D&Ls are a twin circle blade like the Mobile Dimension Mills and our local Rimu Mill. Good machines but a lot more expensive and complex than the swingblades?

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Duane_Moore

:P  OK, guys any comments on the Baker Mills?? sure like the looks of them, the stainless and aluminun ones,  the EZ Mill? any useres out there? hows the clamping system? Parts? and all that stuff.   are they any good??  Good or Bad?, what a pest I am,, Duane :D :D

Duane_Moore

:P  come on someone, what about the Baker  EZMill?? or the BBC. XL4??  anybody Know????  Duh--Duane ???

etat

Ya doing the right thing Duane, keep hammerin at em, But jest to let ya know, I sure was dissapointed in yer honky tonk thread.  Thought ya was gonna tell us about the good ole days, bar fights, pretty women, cowboy hats, cryin in yer beer,   and gamblin!!!!!!! 8) 8) 8) 8)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Duane_Moore

:)Baker got hold me this week, said they will be in Eugene, Oregon at show in Feb, said they will bring a E-Z Mill with them, so I can see one in real, lookin forward to it ,, Duh---Duane 8) 8) 8)

Stephen_Wiley

Duane,

Ifn, ya come up to Eugene in Feburary for sure maybe some of us ....freeeeeeezing Oregon fellas will meet ya there.
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

Ed_K

I have the EZ Baker mill. I'm real happy with it  8). Only thing to break so far was the pull cord, and blades that I tried to get one more board outa  ;D. The dog system is ok, but don't get around a hydro mill, or everything I've said is out the door  :D.

Ed K
Ed K

Duane_Moore

8) 8)thanks Ed_K  needed that one,  and one cool picture, didn't know if anybody had a E-Z Mill. sure appreciate the info. and Stephen  am sure planning on being in Eugene. for the show.  not too far for me   450 miles or so, thought would pull camp trailor up and spend a few days,  hope to see  some ya guys,  keep in touch,   Duh----Duane    :)

D._Frederick

Duane,
One of the FF members had the Baker EZ mill, It would pay you to read some of his posts from a year ago.

Duane_Moore

:)Well am going to the Stockton Ag Show this Tue. gona see my first dog and pony show. the WM guys will be there. anybody wanta pick up the bill????? ;D  Duh---Duane

Frank_Pender

Duane, mkae sure you come to the Logging show In Eugene this Feb.  I am sure there will be some sort of gathering of Forum folks.   Let us know if you are planning on attendingand maybe we all can get together for a bit.  I know of at least 10 of us from the Forum out here now and could possibly be in attendance for at least one of the days of the show.  I will probably be there helping the Mobile dimension folks again this year.  I helped all last year.  I brought a number of different logs to the show and used their mill to cut my logs.  It was great. ;D  
You might seriously think about a MD mill.  I have three of them and about the sell one that is set up to cut 4 1/2' diam. logs up to 24' long.  I will give you a good price for the whole unit on a 38' trailer. ;D
Frank Pender

Duane_Moore

8)Yep, will be at the show in Feb. at Eugene. OR.  will be looking forward to shakin the paw's of you guys. Frank will look at the MD when get there, Keep me posted on the dates to be there, and please have good weather that week, I am a wimp. ;D  see ya there. 8) 8)  Duane.

Duane_Moore

:) we 8) 8)went to the Stockton Ag Expo. today saw an Wood Mizer LT15 and LT70 in action. look out wood, the LT70 quite a saw.  will go to Coluse.Ca. then Eugene.OR. more looking. Duane,  (  Hope I don't get hooked ) ;D ;D ;D ;D

DanG

You ain't just hooked, Duane, you're GUT-HOOKED! ;D  Welcome to the live well. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Thank You Sponsors!