iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

One of "Those days"

Started by Bobus2003, March 04, 2011, 08:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobus2003

Have you ever just had one of "those days"? I did today, a Friday that felt like Monday. Woke up to 3" of new snow, Get too work, Dead batteries on the Skidder, Jump-start the skidder head to the woods to cut and skid a new Section of Wood that is at the edge of a meadow.. So i have to deal with Deep snow. (Up to or deeper than the belly pans in places). Fell my first tree, (26" DBH 67' Tall) Whole tree skidding, Hook up the choker Start to winch in and BOOM!! Mainline breaks, and sliders fly..UGH!! Finding 6 sliders in 1.5' or better of snow sucks. Go to the truck grab the New mainline out of the tool box, put it on the skidder and then go back too get the tree. Went great for the next 2 drags.. Stopped to take a pic (On in this thread) and i realize I'm Short one chain.. Again.. Finding lost crap in the snow sucks! Found my chain, it was actually hung up in the Limbs of the last drag.. Put the chain back on and called it a day.. I'll deal with it again tomorrow. As i leave I slide my truck into the ditch.. Not a good day

sandhills

Sounds pretty much like my day on the farm today, just don't have to deal with the new snow until first of next week  ::).  Hope tomorrow is better for both of us.

chucker

no one said its a easy job! but we all know that instead of seting behind a warm desk that you would rather it be a repeat day again tomorrow just the same... this is what makes you and a lot of us, the envy of the arm chair warriors....
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

tapper2

Seems lately, every time I want to accomplish something, I get a case of the Mondays regardless the day. I just do it for hobby though. Some days I'll be in the middle of a big ordeal, just look up, and say,"why am I doing this again?"........Of course, I'll keep working, taking my punishment, as if I deserved it.
Fun huh?
Don't let it get to ya', just roll with the punches. By the way, nice skidder pic.
Belsaw m14, 1992 Ford 1720, Homebuilt  bandmill, Franklin 120b & a bunch of worn out, banged up stuff........gotta love it.

tyb525

Like many of us, I just got inside and got to sit in a chair for the first time since 5:30am. Would definite take this over any kind of office job!
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Jasperfield

Well, at least you didn't get any certified mail.

Tom

I think, if I had opened the door and saw three inches of snow, I would have built a little snowman and gone back inside.  ;D

Bobus2003

Well i have too agree with you guys.. Bad day in the woods is better than anyday in a office

thecfarm

Lucky you found everything.I still have 2 chains in the woods.One I think is in the twitch trail the other I think I left it when I bought too many chains when I was hooking up.I can count my chains every time after I hook up and the first time I don't I loose one. I only have a tractor 3pt winch and they were my short chains,4 feet,but still will cost more than $40 to replace.I lost one years ago and knew right where I lost it too.Never did find it.I call them my Sundays days.Things break,but can't get parts because it's Sunday and they are closed.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

treefarmer87

thats all part of logging, especially with big timber, you better believe something is going to break. i have had a bunch of "those days", but i would not have any other job. :)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Maine372

wait, did you loose a choker chain, or a tire chain?

Bobus2003

Lost a tire chain. Im running tractor chains cause I'm skidding across a paved road and a cattle guard and they don't tear up the road or the cattle guard, but they sure don't hold up to stumps and rocks like skidder chains

Woodhauler

Quote from: Bobus2003 on March 04, 2011, 08:52:15 PM
Have you ever just had one of "those days"? I did today, a Friday that felt like Monday. Woke up to 3" of new snow, Get too work, Dead batteries on the Skidder, Jump-start the skidder head to the woods to cut and skid a new Section of Wood that is at the edge of a meadow.. So i have to deal with Deep snow. (Up to or deeper than the belly pans in places). Fell my first tree, (26" DBH 67' Tall) Whole tree skidding, Hook up the choker Start to winch in and BOOM!! Mainline breaks, and sliders fly..UGH!! Finding 6 sliders in 1.5' or better of snow sucks. Go to the truck grab the New mainline out of the tool box, put it on the skidder and then go back too get the tree. Went great for the next 2 drags.. Stopped to take a pic (On in this thread) and i realize I'm Short one chain.. Again.. Finding lost crap in the snow sucks! Found my chain, it was actually hung up in the Limbs of the last drag.. Put the chain back on and called it a day.. I'll deal with it again tomorrow. As i leave I slide my truck into the ditch.. Not a good day

This is why  they make beer!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

BOBWOOD

that's right....cheers everyone! smiley_beertoast smiley_beertoast

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bobus2003

Quote from: thecfarm on March 05, 2011, 08:01:10 PM
Wrong chain. :-[

How well do chains hold up compared to cable chokers? I have seen a few Skidders with Chain Chokers and i'd think they'd last longer, not tear up your gloves like Cable Chokers..

Mark K

Never see cable chokers around here. Everyone runs chain chokers. Gloves still get tore up from dragging the mainline but probably not as bad. Probably easier to feed a cable choker under the log. We use snow hooks to pull chokers under. Do cable chokers stay with the line or do you have bells? I have six sliders on my line and carry 3/8 chain chokers. Have had the same chain chokers for 7 years. Break a hook once in a great while but no complaints.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

Bobus2003

My chokers are on Sliders on my mainline, I can take the choker off the Slider if need be.. Was thinking if i could run chains if i break one, i could go to the local TSC and buy some bulk chain and make new ones, instead of ordering and waiting for a cable choker

Mark K

Only complaint I have about chain chokers is they tend to slide off frozen wood. The blow down I'm cutting has a good ice layer on it. Have to keep the chains as tight as possible to the slider or the log slips out when i round a corner or it gets slacked. They make square chain chokers that is suppose to work better. I made up two sets so when I do have a skidder operator I can fall and set chokers while they are skidding. Saves a lot of time.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

a old timberjack

Quote from: Woodhauler on March 05, 2011, 05:33:18 PM
Quote from: Bobus2003 on March 04, 2011, 08:52:15 PM
Have you ever just had one of "those days"? I did today, a Friday that felt like Monday. Woke up to 3" of new snow, Get too work, Dead batteries on the Skidder, Jump-start the skidder head to the woods to cut and skid a new Section of Wood that is at the edge of a meadow.. So i have to deal with Deep snow. (Up to or deeper than the belly pans in places). Fell my first tree, (26" DBH 67' Tall) Whole tree skidding, Hook up the choker Start to winch in and BOOM!! Mainline breaks, and sliders fly..UGH!! Finding 6 sliders in 1.5' or better of snow sucks. Go to the truck grab the New mainline out of the tool box, put it on the skidder and then go back too get the tree. Went great for the next 2 drags.. Stopped to take a pic (On in this thread) and i realize I'm Short one chain.. Again.. Finding lost crap in the snow sucks! Found my chain, it was actually hung up in the Limbs of the last drag.. Put the chain back on and called it a day.. I'll deal with it again tomorrow. As i leave I slide my truck into the ditch.. Not a good day i agree!!!!!!

This is why  they make beer!
H.T. LOGGING and Trucking, llc, GREENE, Rhode Island

Thank You Sponsors!