iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

PinOak??

Started by Typhoon, December 15, 2003, 01:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Typhoon

Would you all agree that the Pin-Oak is the fastest growing oak? Or am I wrong here? Thanks!
Brad Dawson, Anna IL (Southern tip)
Husky 346xpNE, Husky 357XP, Norwood Lumbermate2000

Ron Wenrich

Well, that depends.  I've seen some that grow pretty fast, but I've seen some red oak grow just as fast.  It depends on site, aspect and competition.  The nicest red oak grows in NE and NW coves.

I've also seen some pretty good growing chestnut oak and black oak.  

Pin oak isn't one of those trees that I would favor in a management situation.  I think I would opt for something else, given the choice.  The best I've ever done with pin oak is to use it for ties.  I can get an occasional grade board, but they always look muddy to me.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Typhoon

Yeah that is true, location would have a big influence on growth rate. I am planning on building a log home soon, and of course im going to plant several evergreens in my yard, but I also love oak trees, and I am thinking that the pin-oaks are one of the nicest looking for ornamental purposes. And I want something that grows relatively fast. I just planted some bur oaks on my property. They are interesting trees as well.
Brad Dawson, Anna IL (Southern tip)
Husky 346xpNE, Husky 357XP, Norwood Lumbermate2000

Ron Wenrich

Pin oaks do better in that situation, since the soil is more compacted than in a woods situation.  I don't think the pin oaks are as deep of rooters as red oak.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!