iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Considering purchasing a Stihl 039...

Started by alha, March 04, 2011, 12:18:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alha

I found a Stihl 039 that appears to be in VG condition, was owned by a father, who died and then his son got it. Was told that it has had limited use, looks from the pics to be in VG condition, and said that it runs fine, in fact hasn't ever been run in the cold. He is looking for $400 for it, and if it doesn't sell for that price he will end up keeping it. My question, I searched the forum for 039, and didn't find anything specific to that model, but did find some encouraging comments about the 038 and how to hot rod it a bit. What is the diff between the 8 & 9 models, is there anything to look out for with the 9, and is he realistic on the price if it is in as good of shape as it appears to be? Any comments on this are appreciated. Thanks!

Al_Smith

The 039 is a larger version of the 029 .It's basically a clam shell designed consumer saw .As that it does find .

The 038 is a removable cylinder professional style saw .The last of the series  the magnum was 72 cc's . It's made to be rebuildable where as the 039 is not .

Of the two the 038 mag would be the more desirable although for it's intended usage the 039 will do just fine .Either one with proper care should last for years .

alha

Thanks for the reply, I think I will pass on it, I always perfer a pro model saw over a non (easily) rebuildable one. Ok, next question, there is an 036 Pro also available, for $425, including 4 or 5 chains, a case and some oil. Do you have an opinion on that one. Only an 18" bar, supposed to be in vg condition, and is reliable starter.

Last one, don't have as much info on, says he has 460's available, no pics, and not sure what model 460 it is. I read a thread here about someone giving up on his older model Stihl, I think it was a 056, because of lack of parts availability. This is my issue, I believe the older saws are as a rule about as powerful, less complicated without the smog stuff, and generally "better", but with the issue of continually more difficulty finding parts, at least without getting a donor saw(s) to keep it running. With the 460, I suppose I would be buying myself more time before that happened. Is this logical thinking, and would a 460 with a 20 inch chain be a decent saw to use?

Al_Smith

Oh I'm the worst to comment on what a saw might be worth .As it is I'm most likely the cheapest miser on the internet when it comes to buying saws .

Here's a couple of examples --Stihl MS 200T from a dealer  20 bucks .Brake pin lodged in the flywheel ,half hour fix .  2100 Huskey 90 bucks--used coil 50  runs stong ,arm breaker to start . Stihl 038 AV ,dealer 45 bucks,handle flea bay-25 .

See what I mean  8)

JHBC

A 460 is a great saw, if you can get one in good shape, get it.  20" is no problem, 28" is no problem.  My #1 saw.
MS460 28"    MS660  36"    MS441 20"/24"    394XP 32"/36"    3120XP 32"/42"

sawguy21

Those saws are worth $150 tops. At least ten years old. More than that the seller is laughing all the way to the bank. Check out the price of a new MS390 which is the latest incarnation of the 039.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

alha

A 460 in decent shape is worth $150? That seems really cheap for a saw that I thought ran $8-900? I was thinking in the $350-450 range. Maybe it depends on the area you live in. I guess I will have to do a bit more research. That still leaves open the question of older vs. newer, less complicated but more worn out vs more powerful and refined but more money and more complicated. More opinions on this point are greatly appreciated.

Al_Smith

Oh you're going to get ten thousand opinions on what a saw should cost and what model to buy .

You get a mix on forums .There are some of us that can take a  pile of parts from 3 or 4 saws and put a saw together that runs like a scalded ape .Others that have a problem sharpening a chain .

If you are going to buy a new saw,do it .On a used saw you will usually do better on Craigs list than flea bay .With Graigs list you see what you are buying and are only dealing with one person,the seller .Flea bay you have the whole world to deal with .

Paul_H

Quote from: sawguy21 on March 04, 2011, 09:59:07 PM
Those saws are worth $150 tops.

Sawguy21 was speaking of the used MS390 being worth only $150 tops.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

DouginUtah

I thought he was talking about the 039, not the 390.  ???  ;D
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

alha

Oh, thanks, misunderstood. As to the 046, I suppose those would be more. Is the $350-450 more in the ballpark for one of those, in decent shape?

JHBC

Yeah, that price sound right.  I've seen a few 046 and 460's for sale, all in the 400-450 $ range.  Even with the Can$ being what it is right now, prices are usually more up here, so $400 or even less shouldn't be hard to find.  For the the same price as that 039, take the 046.
MS460 28"    MS660  36"    MS441 20"/24"    394XP 32"/36"    3120XP 32"/42"

alha

Well, I pulled the trigger, and bought a 460. Was $450, not pristine, but was told it was a good runner. I am taking it in to my local shop Tuesday to have their certified mech give it a once over for $40 and tell me what I got for my money. Hopefully it is better internally than externally, was a bit dirty but then again, it was a working saw. Said he maintained it well, we'll wait and see for the verdict on that one from the shop. Here's hoping!  :-\

alha

Well, got the good news from the shop, it is in as good of condition as I was told it was, is all tuned up and ready to go. Now I have a decision to make, I have 4 dead/dying elm trees in the back yard, dutch elm, and got about 5-6 quotes for removal of them. Initially I had considered taking them down myself, as they are only 10-20" diameter, but are probably 50-60' tall, it was an area pretty crowded with larger trees, so the had to grow thin and tall. Anywho, I could have pretty easily dropped the larger tree, but the smaller ones were growing with a downhill tilt, right towards my neighbors fence, and there wouldn't be a way to cut them so they would fall up hill, where I would be able to cut them up.

I asked for 2 quotes from each company, one a chop and drop where I do all the smaller cut up work and haul it away, the other doing the entire job. I had quite a range of bids, the lowest being around $250 from a couple companies to do just the take down, to $1800 to do the whole deal. I am trying to decide how I want to handle it, the best price I got for the whole job was $650, which seems pretty good to me, and the worst part of it is that it is downhill from the road, about 100' back, so I'd have to haul it all up hill to remove. I might just have him take all the smaller 1.5-2" and less stuff, and leave the bigger stuff for me to use as firewood. That way I can Stihl use my new saw, but not have to slog all the crap stuff up the hill thru the now pretty wet snow to haul away. Anyone know how well seasoned elm burns as firewood? Would it be worth it to keep for a year or 2, split, and burn, or doesn't it burn as well as other types?

beenthere

Elm wood burns just fine. Your seasoning plan would give you some heat.

Look around for a Game-of-Logging class that you can take to help with the chainsaw usage. You won't regret it. Safety and methods are taught, as well as taking care of the chainsaw and chain.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

John Mc

American Elm burns fine. Similar BTU content to some of the Birches. It's the splitting that can be a real pain the rear. I hope you are not splitting by hand (or that you are up for a real workout).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Al_Smith

Elm burns okay ,it's just tough to split .They used to use the stuff to make wagon tongues because of how tough it is .It will bend where oak will break .

Standing dead the danged stuff is hard as a rock .

trapper

standing dead elm is one of my favorite firewood.  The first couple blocks at the stump are normally wet.  Above that many times the rest of the tree is quite dry, but each tree is different.  Nice and clean to handle when  the bark is off. 
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Al_Smith

:D Every couple years I cruise the woods with a little saw to gather up little dead elms about 8-12 inchs in diameter .You can smack a standing dead with the heel of an axe and it rings like a bell .That tells you something .

Thank You Sponsors!