iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Welcome Barn Enthusiasts!

Started by Rooster, March 01, 2011, 05:45:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rooster

Dear Friends,

Despite the rich stock of historic barns in our rural landscape, we see fewer attempts to save them. The threats to these buildings are many, including urban growth and its associated roadway expansion, improper maintenance and upkeep, and new construction techniques, materials, and design. The University of Wisconsin-Extension, along with the Wisconsin Historical Society, are spearheading a multifaceted approach aimed at saving many of Wisconsin's and other state's historic agricultural buildings. The Wisconsin Barn Preservation Program is aimed at both addressing public concerns and drawing attention to the importance of preserving the elements of our rural countryside, those elements that make it a unique part of America.

Some of the strategies being pursued by this group include the coordination of regional educational workshops, the production of technical resource materials, support of non-profit organizations that can help orchestrate efforts to establish grants, other kinds of technical assistance programs, and this interactive forum aimed at helping barn owners and enthusiast interested in preservation. 

Feel free to share, and ask questions pertaining to barns and other agricultural buildings.
Please visit the Wisconsin Barn Preservation Program website for more information.

http://lgc.uwex.edu/barns/

Thank you!

The WBPP Advisory Group
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

Dave Shepard

I was wondering why Timber Framing had a tree instead of the NEW posts button. :D

Took a quick look at the link, I'll be checking it out in depth later. Thanks.

Hmm. Tree went away. Must have been a temporary thing.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thecfarm

I always like to see those old barns starting tall and straight.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

CX3

Rooster you do good work.  I am really impressed at your enthusiasm to restore the old barns.  I am glad you do it.  A few years ago my landlord had a fairly nice old old barn torn down.  It needed a little work but the cornerstone said it was built in 06 I think.  Anyway I was about sick when they toppled it.  I couldnt believe it.  It makes me happy that you would want to save a few. Thanks
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

pineywoods

Rooster there is a classic example just a few miles north of you. If you take hwy 26 north out of Ft Atkinson, right where 26 ends in Oshkosh. It's located on grounds owned by the Experimental Aircraft Association, adjacent to the airport. Classic timberframe construction and rather large. A few years back, the bean counters in EAA decided to tear it down, because it needed a new roof. The membership raised such a ruckus they backed off and installed a new metal roof. The barn is in pristine condition and is used for storage mostly. during the EAA convention every summer, there is a campground store in the basement. Could probably scrounge up some pics for your web site.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

LOGDOG

Hey there Rooster,

Great website. I enjoyed all the photos of the barns. I know most of the folks with those barns (or have at least met them) up in Forest County. I have to say that Langlade County is wayyyyy short on barn photos. That's barn country in Langlade County. I grew up there. With all the dairy farmers there I would think you could fill multiple albums with pictures of barns. I have to say that's one thing I miss down here in LA. We don't really have "barns" like back home per say. Sheds yes, pole buildings yes, but not really the large, impresive, 3 story barns like we had back home. I'm not sure if it's because of the termites and other bugs or the intense sun/UV and the way it damages wood here. Perhaps. Good to see WI making an effort to save those buildings.  :)

Ironwood

Thanks, saved a few over the years. Help save others from the match. Work with historic "by product" nearly everyday. Real reverence here. Celebrate the past.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Rooster

Thanks to all who have commented.  This section of the forum has the potential to help a lot of people who may be looking to save or restore their barns.  

If anyone has a question, a solution, or a story, I would strongly encourge them to join in the conversation and help make a difference.

Thanks,

Rooster
Advisory Group Member

"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

shelbycharger400

once the roof goes, the rest goes rather quickly after that.   the barn at buddy's house, between the former owners and my buddy's sister with the horse, their was over a foot of dirt, which use to be manure, in turn became soil for his pumpkin patch. (100 + pounders)

the loft... which was left full to the brim with hay.. caused its own problems.. , pigeons and such.     he was lucky the barn had a tin roof installed many years ago. 

its sad to see a barn that was raised by hand taken down. that was over a hundred years old, but some are just hanging in their and need to be taken down, some are hoge poge put together, some are done really nice.   just as it has been from time one.  i have seen so many dairy farms from the early 80's and 90's , now sitting empty..   it is a continuing trend .family grows tired of the farm.. and once the cows are gone, they don't care to put money into a building anymore.   

with a few companies buying and taking down old barns, its a wonder why people are still dozing them.

deb36

Hi,

Great forum!  We have an old barn with multiple problems.  Looking for a temporary way to cover a leak in the roof until we can do a permanent repair.  The barn is 82 x42, not sure on height but around 50 feet.  The eves on the northeast end are rotting towards the peak in one place.  Significant leak there, and multiple smaller ones from the north to south end along the beam in the same line with the large leak on the north east side if that makes sense?  We're thinking of tossing ropes over the roof and pulling up some sort of patch or tarps.  Any suggestions on contractors in the cadott area? (west central WI)

Thanks!

Thank You Sponsors!