urban logging with a bike

Started by Tam-i-am, March 01, 2011, 10:21:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tam-i-am

Richard is located in Bethesda, MD and is creating his own Strategic Oak Reserve with his bike and Buck Arch.

Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

Ironwood

Reminds me of Siagon. Saw a guy with one of those (trikes) must of had 2000-3000 pound of rebar on it. He showed up across the street from my 2nd story hotel room at 4:30 am  and proceeded to unload it. It had what looked lke a 1960 "hammered" motorcycle engine on it w/ no muffler. Hard workers.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

thecfarm

That's one way to get the job done.I suppose the wood is free.Now that would be a sight to see going down the road.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Stephen1

talk about keeping the costs down!
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Ianab

I'm guessing he lives in a pretty flat area?  :D

It would alternate between really hard work (uphill) and sheer terror (downhill) around here :o

But otherwise, Git R done  ;)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Tam-i-am

Tam-i-am

I hope everyone was able to open the video part of that article.  It really was something to see.

isawlogs

That was a nice read , thanks Tammy !!!!
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

beenthere

I missed it the first time I looked. The video was in fits and starts on my computer, but nice day to collect some wood. More power to him, and good that he has the right tool to do the job. Thanks for posting.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

You asked if the video link worked,not with me,but I read the article. I liked the line that said

"Hauling 500 to 600 pounds a trip with the arch — a rolling machine used to lift and carry logs using leverage — he estimates that he has brought three or four tons of oak and maple home on his tricycle since he began logging a month ago."

Since he began logging a month ago,was the best part.  ;D
I see alot of wood that has been cut on ROWs too,just rotting away. I have plenty of wood myself.But if I did not I would be asking for the wood. Some may laugh,but he's laughing all the way to the bank.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

isawlogs

I tried the link, it works, my connection is the one lacking the umph to make a go of it  ::)

I like what he is doing, he is getting a whole more excercise then what I am getting and is out there keeping in shape hauling wood back to his house to fire up some heat.  Good for him , an original way of getting firewood, I am sure there aint to many out there even thinking of doing it this way, let alone doing it.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel