iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

selling green lumber and what to ask for it

Started by ftwjr, February 27, 2011, 07:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ftwjr

I have got several walnut and oak logs, we are sawing now, where is a good place to sell the lumber
Thanks Woody

WDH

Advertise locally.  Green lumber is heavy and costly to ship.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

woodmills1

lean toward trailer deck and horse fence for oak  and high school shops for pine
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

bugdust

I just sold some great looking red oak and walnut to a fellow who makes mantles and sells the on Ebay. He liked the order so well I got all his business. The other posts are good ideas too, I just lucked out on this one.
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

beenthere

Quote from: ftwjr on February 27, 2011, 07:41:52 PM
.........., we are sawing now, ............

With no market in sight, what thickness and size are you sawing your logs?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tyb525

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Bibbyman

You've got your horse before the cart if your sawing logs and don't already have a market.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Larry

I got a car.  How much should I sell it for?  You'll get about the same answer on your lumber as I would with my question.

Selling price for oak is going to depend on dimensions, red or white, grade, color, competition, and of course demand in your area.

Selling walnut is even worse.  Your widest and best grade of boards will have a lot of sapwood.  If peddling to the woodworker market you'll have to almost give those boards away.  In the wholesale market those same boards will bring the most money, as all are going to the steamer anyhow.

I've sold as log run in the past with stipulation to take all, especially for walnut.

You might also try posting on craigslist that you will cut the logs to specification.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

ftwjr

thanks for all the replys, is there any market for dry lumber?
Thanks Woody

terrifictimbersllc

The closer it is to ready-to-use the more it is worth, all other things being equal.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

thecfarm

If you saw 2X4s the customers wants 2X6s.Saw 6 inch boards customers wants 8 inch boards.Saw 10 footers customers wants 12 footers. Lumber is hard to sell until you can get a market for it. Yes,the salesman say you can make money on lumber,but you need the customers and an inventory to sell it.Inventory is money tied up too. Have to store it and keep the weather off it.May have it for a year or more.Than some on here says the customers always wants whats on the bottom. Don't forget all logs do not make good lumber too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

captain_crunch

Ifn I was to saw with out orders I would cut 12 ft 2X6 most popular board at big box store. I only cut 2X4 by accident beings they sell for .99 ea Beams and timbers seem to be market here. 1X4 and 1X6.as 1X12 also go away
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

tyb525

1x4, 1x6, 1x8 if you are sawing hardwoods and/or softwoods. 2x6,8,10,12 for softwood construction lumber.

4x4s, 6x6's and 8x8's are pretty common beam sizes.

If there are any woodworkers in your area, you'll have a market for dry lumber, but most likely not green lumber.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

backwoods sawyer

Some times, it is just best to seal the ends of the logs and let them sit in the deck. Three customers come along, and they are all going to want something different. If you have the logs in inventory then all three customers are happy. Where if you mill it all up and none of the three are looking for what you milled it to, you are unhappy.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Thank You Sponsors!