iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Simpson/Lewis winch on Stihl 041??

Started by shinnlinger, February 27, 2011, 12:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinnlinger

Hi,

How are these winches?  Is one better than the other?  Will they really pull 8k lbs?  I have an old 041 that runs well enough and I think it would make a suitable power head. According to Acres, It is "factory rated" at 5.5 horses but I think that is pretty optimistic for this old saw.  Are these best used intermittently or could I use it for a day of skidding trees to my tractor?  Would you think it would be better than an 8k electric winch?

Thanks.

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

wilson_tree

I have an early 80's 031AV mounted on a capstan winch.  I love it.  The old saw has a trigger lock at about half throttle and that is perfect for operating the winch by my self.  I use it to bunch firewood logs, move brush, and anything else I can think of.  It is tiring to use for very long periods of time on big loads, because you have to tail the winch line.  Otherwise it is very easy to use; you can set it up anywhere, you can use short or long winch lines, it's easy to keep running.  I use mine with a skid cone and it really increases the speed and ease of use.  I think it would be a lot less effective without the skid cone.

Thank You Sponsors!