iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to me truck

Started by tyb525, February 26, 2011, 10:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyb525

Just bought this truck yesterday....first vehicle that is "mine", I had been using my mom's truck. It was a Texas phone co truck. The fella I bought it from had bought it a few weeks prior for his son's birthday....well turns out his son bought a truck before he knew his dad was getting him one. So he didn't need an extra truck. The price was right....

2001 1500HD, 4.8L V8, 180K mostly highway miles, STAHL bed and rack.

Funtionally it's in great shape, it's got a crack in the windshield, a messed up front bumper and a couple dings, but hey it's a work truck! I look forward to the use I'll get from it, hopefully it will be a lot! 8)

Now I just need a logo to put on the door...

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

WH_Conley

Bill

ellmoe

Congratulations! I hope you get many years of good service. Used trucks are usually a smart buy. They always have a value to someone.

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

clww

Nothing like your own equipment. Congratulations!
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

paul case

TY'S TOOL TRUCK has a nice ring.  ;D 
a friend of mine had a 03 chevy half ton with the 4.8L and auto he bought new and put 230000 miles on it and sold it a few months ago to a fella who works with him. its still going.
take good care of her and she will serve you well.  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

chevytaHOE5674

looks like its a 2wd?

Looks like it'll make a nice work truck.

Holmes

tyb525  It's affordable and that's the best way to start. Now about that logo what are your thoughts?  Holmes
Think like a farmer.

tyb525

Yes it is a 2wd, bare bones but it is an automatic with the towing mode. It runs great, I took it out for a long drive this afternoon, drives great, and even though it's the smaller V8 it has lots of power. I replaced the front tires today with LT tires to match the rears, thankfully it came with some pretty aggressive tires on the rear. It has a very beefy hitch, that's a plus. I'm thinking it has a  larger gas tank too, I can't remember the sizes but I filled it up part way today, even though I was expecting it to be a little more full for $40 ;)

I work part time at a mechanics shop, so I know how to take care of vehicles ;) Plus I can get parts cheap, $10 used tires, and my labor is free  ;)

My plan for the logo is "Ty's Custom Lumber" seeing how that's what I already go by ;)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Meadows Miller

Gday

Ty I like it its a great thing to have your own ute Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) and I reckon the business name ids a good choice as it sounds good Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

fishpharmer

Very pragmatic!!  I have a friend with a huge catfish farm out in the Delta that bought a used "tool" truck similar to yours.  He says its the handiest thing ever around the farm, all the tools are right on the truck.  Since then I have had been watching for a deal on something like that.

Great move Tye!!   I don't have any experience in marketing and logos, but that won't stop me from suggesting an idea.  If I were putting a logo on a truck today it would include a " blankety blank DOT COM."    Not an original idea on my part. 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Meadows Miller

That is a bloody good idea James  ;) ;D 8) website tyscustomlumber.com ;)
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Holmes

Quote from: Meadows Miller on February 27, 2011, 02:54:21 AM

That is a bloody good idea James  ;) ;D 8) website tyscustomlumber.com ;)   with ute!!!   Holmes
Think like a farmer.

Norm

Busy Beaver Lumber

Ty

Nice truck buddy. Looks very functional.

About your logo and truck lettering, let me know what you want and I will take good care of you.

My wife owns an embroidery and sign shop and we have been doing vehicle graphics on cars and trucks for over 8 years now. I have the vinyl cutter right here at the house and lots of colors of vinyl. I even have a black diamond plate vinyl that would look great on that white truck. We have thousands of graphics as well.

You could drive that truck up here in the morning, help me drink a few pots of coffee and eat some food, and return home with a completely different looking ride in the afternoon.

If you want to see some of our work we did on our dually flatbed, you can go to our www.busybeaverlumber.com website and check it out, but I can do pretty much whatever you have in mind.

I do have over 6000 fonts and over 100,000 graphics and have a really cool font where the letters are made using logs.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

CX3

Nice pickup.  That motor should out last the truck itself.  Those are good rigs.  Good Luck
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

sandhills

Nice rig there Ty, just bought an 01 myself, but a 2500.  If it means anything to you mine has 214000 miles, has pulled a trailer everyday of it's life, and after my first 1600 or so miles hasn't  used a bit of oil.  I think you got a lot of life left in that truck and agree with CX3 about the engine outlasting it.  Have fun with it.

tyb525

Thanks for the compliments guys, the more I drive it the more I love it ;D I plan on fixing it up a little bit at a time, I can probably pick up a bumper from the junkyard for cheap, and I have a buddy who can get me a panel for the left front.

Fred when I am ready for a logo I will definitely be contacting you!

Busy Beaver Lumber

Ty

A couple words of caution to you. I do not know how you intend to register that truck, but if you are going to use it for business on a regular basis and put signs on it, you may want to seriously consider registering it commercial. If not the cops could make your life a living hell if you run in to the wrong cop on the wrong day. With the work body filled with tools, you will be hard pressed to convince the cop (or your insurance company, if you had an accident) that it was not being used for business purposes. If you do register it commercial, then expect your insurance rates to be about twice what they would be on a truck with a regular pickup truck bed and that does not look like it is being used for business.

This is the big reason I sold my dually with 12' flatbed and stake sides and went with the Chevy 3500 pickup with cap that I have now and why I have no lettering at all on my new truck or dump trailer. You may want to consider going with magnetic signs that you can take on and off depending on the area you are in and how much of a stickler the cops are in that area.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
6 x 10 dump trailer
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Autocar

I once had a truck with a bed like that is sure was nice to carry everything I ever had to repair skidder and chain saw wise on a job. Now I have everything jambed in the back seat of my F350 and every now and then as I fish around for something I will trip a tree paint can and my hand will be blue  ;D Nice truck it will work out fine for you.
Bill

DanG

You're gonna love that Stahl body, Ty.  It looks just like the one on my '93 Dodge, except mine is a 12 footer with one more door on each side.  It sure is nice to have all your tools with you wherever you go!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

thecfarm

Ty,are you claiming any of the sawing money at income tax time? If so all that  can all be wrote off.Get an accountant and they can save you money.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tyb525

I'm still getting all that sorted out, I still need to file a DBA I think in order to use "Ty's Custom Lumber"

Busy Beaver Lumber

Ty

You can go right down to your town hall to file a DBA. Usually it is the recorders office that handles that function. Here in Fort Wayne, they charged $9 for a DBA 10 years ago, not sure how much they charge now. About all they do is a check of the business name to make sure nobody else is using that name and then they issue you the DBA. It is more so they can tax you than for any other valid reason. Indiana no longer has an inventory tax, but they still do tax you each year on the True Tax Value of any equipment you have registered to the business and use in the production of income.

For Federal taxation, most equipment you ever buy will be depreciated using what is called 200% Double Declining Balance depreciation as a 5 years asset and using the half year convention ( actually take you 6 years to recover full cost). The depreciation shedule winds up looking like this assuming you put the asset into service in 2011:

Calendar   Recovery Percentage
Year   Year   from table
2011   1   20%
2012   2   32%
2013   3   19.20%
2014   4   11.52%
2015   5   11.52%
2016   6   5.76%

100%

Then you get your sales tax ID number form the Indiana Department of Revenue for $25 fee. You would collect tax on taxable sales made in the state of Indiana and remit the collected tax money at the end of the year, less the generous collection allowance of .0073% they allow you to keep for your efforts in collecting the tax for the state

So far as your truck goes, IRS tax code allows you to take 51 cents a mile for all 2011 business miles. You must keep a log showing the date, mileage total, and reason for the mileage.

In general, taxpayers may deduct ordinary and necessary expenses for conducting a trade or business. An ordinary expense is an expense that is common and accepted in the taxpayer's trade or business. A necessary expense is one that is appropriate for the business. Generally, an activity qualifies as a business if it is carried on with the reasonable expectation of earning a profit. The IRS presumes that an activity is carried on for profit if it makes a profit during at least three of the last five tax years, including the current year, if not you can run it as a hobby, but the rules that apply to that could be a whole seperate topic of discussion and are covered in IRS publication #535 for your reference.

If you have any accounting questions, I would be more than happy to help you free of charge to save you your hard earned money. My Bachelors degree is in accounting and my Masters is in Management. What I have mentioned here is the bulk of what you need to know to stay out of trouble.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
6 x 10 dump trailer
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Thank You Sponsors!