iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

E-classic -- Low burn vs high burn.

Started by upsnake, February 26, 2011, 10:12:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

upsnake

I have had my e-classic 1400 up and running now for about 2 months, and for the most part really pleased with it. Still have some issue here and there, but they operator error. (mostly poor stacking when loading causing bridging). Anyway..

My question is this about the difference between the burn modes.

When the RC temp gets to 550 there is a click, (assuming a solenoid doing something).

Then at 750 it switches to high burn. The highest i have seen the RC temp is 1510.

Does anybody know what the stove is doing when it clicks at 550.
Also what is the difference between low and high burn? Is it just different amounts of air or?

I know not real relevant to running the stove but i am just trying to learn how to use Walter better. (Yes my OWB is named, my wife named him Walter). Haha

Thanks guys you have been a big help.  8)

Dean186

Quote from: upsnake on February 26, 2011, 10:12:57 PM
I have had my e-classic 1400 up and running now for about 2 months, and for the most part really pleased with it. Still have some issue here and there, but they operator error. (mostly poor stacking when loading causing bridging). Anyway..

My question is this about the difference between the burn modes.

When the RC temp gets to 550 there is a click, (assuming a solenoid doing something).

Then at 750 it switches to high burn. The highest i have seen the RC temp is 1510.

Does anybody know what the stove is doing when it clicks at 550.
Also what is the difference between low and high burn? Is it just different amounts of air or?

Upsnake,

The click at 550 degrees is the low burn solenoid opening.  The low burn indicator light is on even when the temperature in the reaction chamber is below 550 degrees and both low and high burn solenoids are closed.  My design preference would be not to have the low burn light on until the low burn solenoid opens.  At 750 degrees the high burn solenoid opens and the high burn light comes on.   I believe both solenoids are open during the high burn mode.

A reaction chamber temperature of 1,510 degrees for a high reading is about what I have seen on my stove.  I think my record high that I observed was 1,530 degrees.  It seldom breaks 1,400 degrees.  The normal good burn reaction chamber temperatures are about 1,150 degrees.

I have not had a bridging problem for almost a year now.  I think the key when loading the wood is to think of the firebox as a hopper, where logs come out at the bottom.  It is hard to get over the mind set of stacking logs like you would for a campfire or regular fireplace.

Dean

Dean186

I wanted to elaborate on the function of the three solenoids in the E-Classic 1400 as I understand it.

1)   When the unit reaches the water jacket low temperature set point, the fan comes on and the main solenoid opens, allowing air into the firebox.  No air enters the fusion chamber at this point, both low and high burn solenoids are closed and the low burn light comes on.  Air is forced down through the fusion chamber and into the reaction chamber via the pressurized firebox.

2)   When the reaction chamber temperature hits 550 degrees the low burn solenoid (the small one) opens and the low burn light stays on.  You can see a change in the exhaust when the low burn solenoid opens. 

3)   When the reaction chamber temperature hits 750 degrees the high burn solenoid (the large one) opens and the high burn light comes on.  You can differently see a change in the exhaust when this happens.

upsnake

That makes sense, you can certainly see a difference in the exhaust at 550 and 750.

I am assuming that when the low burn solenoid clicks on that more air is pushed in, and once again when the high clicks open even more air?

Or are the solenoid opening access for the exhaust to travel a different path or... ?

Yes it is a nice site to see the little heat waves coming out of the top of the stack. Haha

Dean186

Quote from: upsnake on February 27, 2011, 11:56:26 AM
That makes sense, you can certainly see a difference in the exhaust at 550 and 750.

I am assuming that when the low burn solenoid clicks on that more air is pushed in, and once again when the high clicks open even more air?

Or are the solenoid opening access for the exhaust to travel a different path or... ?

Yes it is a nice site to see the little heat waves coming out of the top of the stack. Haha

Yes, the solenoids are creating different paths for the same amount of air flow.  The unit only has the one fan operating at one speed and the solenoids are controlling the air paths.
However, one could argue, that with more paths open, there is less restriction and thus more air flow.

Thank You Sponsors!