iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Restaurant

Started by Larry, February 26, 2011, 07:14:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

Several new restaurants opening in our area, as reported in the Springdale Morning News this morning.

This one caught my interest. 

"Bob Nelson, executive chef said Tusk & Trotter will feature unique dishes such as lamb sliders and crispy pig ear salad."

So, what's a lamb slider and is it tasty?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

sawguy21

You are the guinea pig, try it and report back. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

WDH

I believe that they are mini-burgers.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

beenthere

Hopefully something that is appealing to the Arkansas people.  ;D

I would assume he has done his homework first.  

But then "Tusk & Trotter" seems a bit risky for a name too,  IMO.  ::) :) ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sandhills

Tusk and Trotter sounds like pickled pigs feet and lips to me  :D  Give us an update on it please.

thecfarm

Sounds like a place that has $10 burgers.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Wrangler55

Quote from: Larry on February 26, 2011, 07:14:45 PM
Several new restaurants opening in our area, as reported in the Springdale Morning News this morning.

This one caught my interest. 

"Bob Nelson, executive chef said Tusk & Trotter will feature unique dishes such as lamb sliders and crispy pig ear salad."

So, what's a lamb slider and is it tasty?

Jeff Foxworthy could have a field day with this resturant...  "If you eat at any resturant that has pig ear salad on the menu, you might be a red-neck!"

I'm so covered with sawdust, my nickname should be dusty...

Mooseherder

Pig Ears have to be perfect for some customers.
They'll inspect the Ears first and gauge whether or not they purchase the Pig because of it. ::)
We have a Store in a Cuban neighborhood that sells a few hundred Pigs every year.
A traditional Christmas includes Whole Pigs with perfect Ears. ;)

Burlkraft

That pig had nice ears   :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Kansas

So what makes a perfect pig ear? Remembering back in my pig days, Landrace had big floppy ears. Yorkshire had large stand up ears.

Mooseherder

They want to make sure there aren't any slits or blemishes for presentation I guess.

Burlkraft

I guess the ear tags and notches in the ears was a bad thing then?

Before we had ear tags we used to cut notches in the ears to identify them.

I hated them stoopid pigs

I can just see sittin' down to a big plate of pig ears and chicken feet!  steve_smiley

I know where they been!!
Why not just 1 pain free day?

sandhills

OOPS!!!  We used to notch ours :D

Norm

We used the knife on the other end of ours.  :D

WDH

I have not so fond memories of raising hogs growing up.  We used a knife on the other end of the hog from the ears as well, Norm, but my Dad always let the boy pigs get too big before going under the knife.  My job was to hold them down while the operation ensued.  My dad used to always holler, "Hold that pig down, boy!@#%!!@*".

What was a pig to him was a hog to me  :).  Anyway, Larry, awaiting a restaurant review...
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Mooseherder

Danny, the really bad part was nobody seemed to have video recorders then. :D

WDH

I think that would make for some comic viewing.  A new soap opera show maybe??  "As the Hog Squeals:)

Texas Ranger

There was a time when my father decided to cut a hog in the lot, and suggested (told me) to put a rope on the hog, and hold him till he could be pinned.  Well, no video back then, but picture a 12 year old on the end of a rope, all 90 pounds of him, and a 100 pound hog on the other end of the rope.

It was not pretty.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Norm

Not that I blame the porker for squirming while someone's holding a scalpel near a very sensitive spot.  :o

Patty

Ahhhh! Fond memories of growing up on a farm! My dad would have us kids help him round up calves for de-horning. Now that was a most pleasant day! I remember looking down into the hole after the horn came off.  :o

Maybe it is a good thing we didn't have video cameras back then.  ;)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Troublermaker

Texas Ranger I know what you went thru. Mine wasn't a hog but a 2 to 3 hundred pound steer and I was 14 or 15. All that I heard was don't let go of that rope. I didn't let go of the rope thru the board fence that he broke down, across the little stream but I had to let go when it started a dirt drive way. I couldn't take that. After Mom patch me up I went and got my horse and dogs. Drove it back home as tame as a old milk cow.   

That the first time that I heard of Landrace hogs in a long time. You right about the ears. Some of the old sows that we had ears were big enough that they would wrap around their nose half way blinding them. I have seen them walk by a hole in the fence and wouldn't even see it. I don't know if it was true are not but they use to say that the Landrace hogs had one more rib than regular hogs had.

I know about de-horning Patty. I use to hate that job. I don't know what they use now but I was so glad when they came out with something that look like tar that you would put on the little hones with a putty knife.

WildDog

[quote I remember looking down into the hole after the horn came off.][/quote]

I agree Patty its not pleasant when the horn is of a size where it bites into the skull (worse still when the fly oil washes off and the holes get magotty) as opposed to just peeling it of the skull. The company I worked for had 40,000 cows, at branding time my job was de-horning, one guy branded,one castrated and another drenched and earmarked. When I 1st started off de-horning the big boss would fly his plane in go through my drum off horns to make sure there was a ring of hair around each one, if there hadn't been I would of been relegated back to yard work, you only got one chance. This spured me on to make sure I went deep.

The worst day I had branding, it was stinking hot and I was covered in blood and flies siting on  the back of the ute heading home with a dog's head in my lap, I felt this warm feeling in my lap, looked down to see the dog regurgitating a heap of partialy digested calf testicles that he'd been feeding on. :(  .....If I hadn't been the dehorner I would of been in the cab or riding a horse home.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Thank You Sponsors!