iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

hydraulic motor sizing help for chain turner?

Started by bruce29, February 26, 2011, 06:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bruce29

I have completed building my chain turner for my sawmill. Now I am trying to figure out what hydraulic motor I need to power it. I have a 5.5 hp engine powering a shaft driven power pack that delivers 4 gpm flow at 2500 psi. I think a larger pump & engine would be better , but i already have these. The hydraulic pump will power the chain turner via a chain ,sprocket, shaft arrangement, so I can vary my final rpm some through my sprocket gearing. I am unfamiliar with hydraulics & would appreciate any help & all info.

Nomad

I don't know the specs for hydraulic chain turners in general, but I do know something about hydraulics.  I'd say your motor and pump ought to be plenty to get the job done.  That said, somebody more familiar with the specifics of a chain turner might just blow me out of the water.  But that to me like it should be more than enough pressure and flow to get the job done.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

bandmiller2

Bruce you want a slow speed high torque.They usally give you the specs and cu-in per revolution oil. On a list of hyd. motors you want the ones twords the expensive end their the most powerfull with the most displacement. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Dave_

rs1626

Mine is a Charlynn  101-1008-009  it seems to work great

bruce29

what size pump are uyou using to power that charlynn motor? Are you running it 1 to 1 or with a reduction in the gearing.

sgschwend

The two turners on my MM, also used the 101-1008 size.  Good speed with them.

I do not believe there was any gear reduction.
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

Bandmill Bandit

I am trying to find the charlynn sizing chart but so far have come up with nothing. you need to size the motor to you your speed and Torque requirements based on what your pump is capable of delivering. if you don't it can get costlyt real fast if you have the wrong match.

Will continue to look for the chart and post link when I find it.

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

sgschwend

Here is the link I use:
http://buycharlynn.com/catalog/H_Series-3-1.html

then select the flange, and thread type and the chart will be at the top.
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

laffs

my pump runs 2500 psi through the system running various motors and cylinders at different times seems to be enough. i dont know what size motors, theres just to much snow. will it ever end?
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

Coon

Here's a link to some charts and information on the H and S series Char-Lynn motors. 

www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=981-1008&catname=hydraulic

Go onto this page and click on the more specs which will bring up the info on the whole spectrum of motors in the series H and S motors.

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

todd.crow

Hydraulic motors have a inverse relationship of speed and torque. For a high speed motor, you have low torque, and a low speed is high torque. Now if you gear both motors to the to run a device at same speed you will have the same ending torque.

When I built the log turner for my Frick Sawmill

We used this motor:

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-7076-400&catname=hydraulic

Surplus Center has some calculators that are helpful at

http://www.surpluscenter.com/techhelp.asp

Todd

ladylake

That looks like a high torque low speed motor at a reasonable price.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

bruce29

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up ordering from surplus center. I ordered the dynamic bmh 400-4-g-s motor. It was listed as a feature item under the hydraulics category.It was rated at the pressure my pump is designed to run at & had a very high torque rating so I will give it a try.

ladylake

That one looks good, LOTS of torque.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

hump

Thank you all, have been pondering the question of what size motor to use for a while now. The Char lynn 101-1008 is a 22.6 cu in. hydraulic motor and with a pump that will produce 4 gallons per minute you will have a no load shaft speed of about 41 rpm (motor speed = 231 x gallon per minute/motor cu in).
Torque for this motor with a 2500 psi system will be about 8997 in lbs.(motor torque lbs/in =PSI x motor displacement/ (pi x 2).

ladylake

Chain turners don't need a lot of speed, if too slow put a bigger spocket on it.   Steve

rs1626

I have a chain and sprockets on mine but both sprockets are the same size

5quarter

hey Todd...thats a nice powerplant there in the background. can you tell me more about it?

Chet
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

todd.crow

It is a 1948 D318 Industrial rated at 78.5 Hp at 1720 RPM. When we purchased it it was not in as nice of shape.

Unknown to us, it was completely wore out. So we undertook a rebuild. Here is our timeline:

http://www.crowsnest.us/caterpillar/D318.htm

End result:

Todd

Thank You Sponsors!