iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

tax credits and wood heat

Started by Kansas, February 26, 2011, 03:24:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kansas

We are putting in a new building, about 70x150 to house the mills and also lumber storage. My initial plan was to put in an outside wood furnace and use piping under the floor to heat it for the winter. Well now I've got several things happening. First is I'm getting conflicting information concerning tax credits allowed on that. Then I have the possibility of a 25% grant to pay for the whole thing, along with a bunch of other stuff concerning energy efficiency. But I don't know if that will cover a wood furnace. Then when I was back at the Richmond show, a wood gasification salesman tried to tell me they soon won't allow wood furnaces for commercial buildings. The wood furnace people told me that the gasification units don't burn green wood well.

I have seen a lot of comments on this board about those. A lot of them seem to be negative, and I'm trying to keep this as simple as possible.

For those who own gasification units, would you put one in again, or go with a wood furnace? Is there a lot more to maintain with one? And does the wood have to be very dry for them to work?

Dean186

Hi Kansas,

I am very satisfied with the performance of my E-Classic 1400 and would install it or the new E-Classic 2400.  

At the time of my purchase, the E-Classic's qualified for the energy tax credit and I received the maximum of $1,500 back as a tax credit.

The wood needs to be below 20% moisture content according to the manual and I have found that to be a maximum.  My advice is to have the wood below 12% moisture content.  My current stack of wood measures between 6% to 12% and is burning very well.

As far as maintenance, I do less maintenance burning 8 cords outside in my OWB than I did with my in house fireplace insert burning 2-3 cords.

hockeyguy

Hey Kansas,
I have an e-classic 2300 and am satisfied with its performance. The only problem I have is with my wood consumption. I'll probably end up using about 30% more than I figured using C.B's calculations.

I qualified for the $1500.00 tax credit but I believed that expired at the end of last year.

As far as maintenance goes, I find it very easy. Just keep the firebox and  air holes clean, clean out the ashes when they get too deep and scrape down the turbulators every couple of weeks.

There is certainly  a learning curve that goes with these things. I've found that marginally seasoned wood will burn, you  lose btu's and and get more smoke. Well seasoned is the way to go.

doctorb

Kansas

1.  I own a e-2300 and I am satisfied with the performance.  I would do it again.  Look at the price of heating oil these days!
2.  They like seasoned wood.  Less seasoned fuel will increase wood consumption, increase smoking, and decrease stove efficiency.

When you say wood furnace, do you mean:  A) indoor wood stove, B) indoor wood burning furnace with hot water radiant floor heat or, C) a non-gasifier OWB?

Is the shop / mill going to require heat 24/7, or are you going to let it cool down at night and on weekends when it's not being used?   

Doctorb
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Kansas

I was looking at options of an outside wood burning furnace, non gasifier. I don't think it would be 24/7. but it would be close. Its a rare day around here anymore that we don't have someone in here 7 days a week. I assume in a closed loop system under the floor you can add antifreeze just in case. I got this feeling that if we have a decent building, we might well be at least split shift. Obviously we have plenty of side pieces to use for firewood. But there would be a lot of bark, I am sure some dirt in the bark. We could certainly plan ahead for drying it. Right now we have a big wood furnace indoors where people warm up around. We chuck just about anything in there. Might have to change our ways a bit if we go with a gasifier.

doctorb

A non-gasifier would work fine.  It burns greener stuff, and, from what I've read on the FF, it does a pretty good job with wetter fuel.  Are you planning to have any plumbing inside the shop.  If so, you'll need a backup heat source regardless of which type of stove you choose. 

Be sure to check your state regs regarding commercial buildings and gassers vs. non-gassers.  It seems like increased regulation in springing up everywhere.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dean186

Quote from: Kansas on February 26, 2011, 12:51:52 PM
I was looking at options of an outside wood burning furnace, non gasifier.

I believe Hockey guy was right about the energy tax credit ending last year, but it may be renewed.  However, it won't matter if you go with non gasification unit, they didn't qualify for the energy tax credit anyway.

Thank You Sponsors!