iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for advice on slabber powerhead

Started by wdncno, February 25, 2011, 12:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wdncno

I'm building a large slabber for my mill and need some advice on a powerhead.  I've got an 84" GB bar and am having trouble deciding which saw I should buy to run it.  I will be running .404 ripping chain.  $1450 for a Stihl ms880, $1440 for a Husqvarna 1320, both new and from local dealers, or a Stihl 090- $? and hard to find, but maybe runs at a better speed for ripping.  I want to cut stuff up to 5' diameter and logs with a lot of sweep.  probably will never have more than 60" buried in a log.  Money is a consideration, but I only want to do this once, so what will work best is the primary concern. thanks-Michael

Ianab

If you are building a mill, it need not be a chainsaw powerhead.

The commercial chainsaw slabbers from Peterson or Lucas use 4 stroke industrial engines, you could probably re-use one off an old ride-on lawnmower or similar.  They would usually use a belt driven idler shaft to mount the sprocket, as this isolates the engine from the chain vibration, and lets you adjust pulley sizes to alter chain speed.

Ian

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

wdncno

I have the 4 stroke and plans for something like that, but I had an accident in the fall and cut my hand badly on the table saw. I wasn't able to do much this winter, and don't have time now to build this, so I want to take the easy way out and just use a chainsaw powerhead and get at the jobs done that I have to do this spring.

D._Frederick

wdncno,

I hate to ask you, but what did  you do to get into the blade of your table saw? I use my table saw quite a bit and don't want to make the same mistake.

shinnlinger

Not to sound ghoulish, but I too am curious about your injury as I teach woodshop, and why invent worst case scenarios when you don't have to.  Makes it far more believable as to why you need to PAY ATTENTION!!!! because unfortunately it can happen to anyone regardless of experience.

I have to admit I breath a little easier now that I have two of these babies....http://www.sawstop.com/

Good saws to boot.

Back to your original question, I agree with Ian, even if you have to pay a shop to fab your mount, I think you would be money ahead over using a saw head and get better performance and less maintenance down the road.

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Nomad

I'd agree with the sentiment about using a decent size 4 stroke to power your slabber.  Some of my chainsaws are Huskies, and some are Stihls. 

Last year I put a Husky 3120 (broken in) on a Granberg mill with about a 60" bar.  Even "fat" on the oil, it didn't last 2 hours before it smoked the top end of the motor.  Unusual?  Maybe...  But I won't try it again to find out!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

wdncno

PThe hand incident, OK- On a cold morning last November I was straightening some spruce boards before running them through the Logosol planer to make v-joint panelling for a customer. I was in a hurray to get the job delivered before the snow flew, the customer can't get in in the winter (first mistake), it was cold and my hands were freezing, so I put on a new pair of pile lined work gloves (second mistake), and I was distracted by some other stuff I had to deal with (third mistake). Board hit a hard knot and jumped and my glove caught the blade and pulled the top of my hand through the blade, 10" carbide, 3hp 3 phase.  Index finger cut first knuckle 4 stiches, middle finger just above the knuckle half way around and top tendon, ring finger above knuckle, and through top tendon and bone broken into four pieces, little finger- just took the very tip off.  Got sewed back together and  feeling is coming back, and I have about 65% motion intthe two middle fingers and th rest are fine.Thank goodness for our health care system.

Pay attention and don't rush for anyone. I've had plenty of time to think about my stupidity and that's what I've come to. 

Gave me the push to go out and get a power feeder for the saw.  Also had to find a wood splitter because I couldn't swing a splitting axe.  It's a lot better now and I fired up the sawmill this week and cut a bit of wood.  Was also able to adz a beam for a customer today.

shinnlinger

Thanks for sharing and glad you are on the mend!!!
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

weisyboy

i to have run my hand hrew a table saw, felt just like a dull thumping, thud - thud - thud as my fingers got pulled seamed like it was in slow motion. all better now but cant bend my ring finger.

i would be putting a 4 stroke on it about 20hp +, chainsaws just arent made for that kinda work.

if you are going to use a chainsaw new use a stihl 880 (120cc) i have a 3120xp it buggered the top of the piston and cylender from ripping fence posts.

seconhand see if you can find an old 090.
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

Thank You Sponsors!