iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT40HDG28 question

Started by Coon, February 24, 2011, 08:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coon

I was just wondering what you people that own LT40HDG28's average for fuel consumption per hour?  I am thinking that I will most likely be purchasing one this spring and would like to be able to project my costs a bit before hand.  All edging would be done on the mill. 

I am set on a Woodmizer but still not sure which model.  Anyone here own one of the new LT35's?  If so what kind of numbers can you share?

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Brucer

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Coon

That sounds pretty reasonable to me.  I am pretty sure I can live with that.   :)  That is definately lower than what I was thinking. 

ladylake

When I had the 27HP Kohler on my B20 it would take a little over 1 GPH when sawing steady with a offbearer or 2, when sawing by myself quite a bit less.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

SAWMILL BUDDY

I can saw hard for 8 hours on 5 gal of gas.

DR Buck

Quote from: SAWMILL BUDDY on February 25, 2011, 06:35:28 AM
I can saw hard for 8 hours on 5 gal of gas.

Almost all day on a single tank.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Jim H

On days that I saw by myself the mill idles/is shutdown more 4-5 gal in 8 hours. If I have plenty of help and the mill can stay in the cut a high percentage of the time 6 or maybe an occasional 7 gal day. My previous carberated mill (24hp onan)used about 30%more fuel.   Jim
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

Dan_Shade

my mill is the 25HP with a carburator, I can go almost an entire day on a tank of fuel, or probably around 2000 bf or so

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

ladylake

When I used just over 1 gph the blade was cutting a lot 300 to 400 bf per hour, when it's not cutting gph will be better..  My little Isuzu uses 1/2 gph at the most and it cuts faster.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

sparks

The 28 HP and the 25 HP are .78 gal per hour.
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Brucer

So, 0.78 USgal/hr = 2.9 L/hr.

My number was my average for the first 4 years I was running the mill. I didn't have a helper then so I had more idling time than if I had someone pulling slabs and flitches.

I'd expect to see more BF per hour with Spark's number than with mine.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

ladylake

Quote from: sparks on February 25, 2011, 09:01:31 AM
The 28 HP and the 25 HP are .78 gal per hour.

Is that under full load all the time or on a mill sawing lumber which would vary depending on how much time the blade is in the wood.    Steve

Chuck White

My LT40  Hydraulic has a 24hp Onan engine and I rarely will use over 5 gal/day (8-10 hrs)

On an average day, we'll (one offbearer) usually put out between 1500 & 1800 bf.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Coon

Thanks for sharing this info.  It is greatly appreciated. 

I can live within the whole range of fuel consumption that you all have mentioned.  I am doing alot of number crunching at the moment and hopefully will be placing my order soon.  I would like to start milling as soon as the snow is gone here for the most part.  That will be in mid April.  ;D 

I am thinking that I need to contact Woodmizer and talk to them about the LT35 and get a little bit more info.  I am wondering what the rate the boardfootage/hr would be?  Shouldn't be much off the LT40HD....   I do have some timber that would be too big for the LT35's 32" max diameter but that would make up maybe 2% of my total volume.  I am not sure how much there would be within the custom sawing end of things. 

Anyone even seen the LT35 saw any logs? 

ronwood

Coon,

If you want a debarker I believe that you will have to go with the LT40

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Coon

I would prefer to have the debarker but I might be able to live without one...... but maybe not... ;D  Ya, I am looking more towards the LT40HD all the time.  Gots to get me eggs all in one basket and order one... 

sawman

I for one would definitely go with the debarker, you will not regret it. It does help save the blades. 
'14 LT40 Hydraulic 26 HP koehler ,massey ferguson 2200 forklift, Case IH D40
Wallenstein FX85

terrifictimbersllc

I wouldnt want to be peeling or brushing logs on top of everything else I have to do in a day sawing on the road.   Debarker seems to cut forever but even its tips get worn.  Have always had one and still do enough blade sharpening.  A debarker a minor investment compared to years of increased blade maintenance or expense.  Also if you're traveling to saw for money, you want to be able to get as much done in a day, or get it done quicker.  This is often going to translate into more profit one way or the other.   
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

A Debarker, to me, is the second most valuable "option" on the mill.  Setworks/Accuset being the first.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Coon

I have pretty much got my mind made up on the LT40HDG28 with a debarker.  I need to finish up my business plan this week.  The bank has already told me that I can borrow the money I need but want me to have a solid business plan to fall back on.  The way the industry is around here I will have absolutely no problem making money whether it be from lumber sales from my own wood or custom sawing.  I just heard that another one of our local small mills is shutting down due to the owners health issues.  Even without him shutting down there is plenty of room for competition.  This is coming from this other mill owners own mouth.  His son also told me that he will still haul logs for me or rent me his log truck if he is busy.  I have worked for these guys off and on for the last 13 years.  Excellent people.

Thank You Sponsors!