iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best use of...

Started by papax3, February 24, 2011, 07:56:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

papax3

Hey!
I have 17 mature Southern Pine Trees (Arkansas)... and MUST use them to build a home...

1. If I air-dry them, how do I prevent bugs from making them unusable while waiting for them to dry?
2. If I air-dry them, assuming that drier=better, do you think making a temporary cheap "solar kiln" out of that black greenhouse plastic vinyl  would help or work?  Cut wood, stack, surround with "solar kiln".
3. If I air-dry, then what's the best method for getting the most out of this wood, and to reduce warping, twisting, cupping, checking..etc?  *See question #4.
4. If air-dried, what's the best dimension to cut this wood to: A. maximize the resource, B. minimize air-dry time, C. have the "best-cut" board size available for home-building?  {2x6, 2x4}
Thanx in advance of your answers!
Bill Williams

beenthere

Seems this is the third time I've read about this.  ::) ::)

Welcome, but one post will do the trick. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Buck

ok I'm gonna take a stab at this....
1.Solution of Borax and water sprayed on em helps.
2.Check solarkilninfo.com  Somebody has allready done it and is telling you how to do it as economically as possible.
3.strip stack and weight it out of direct sunlight.
4.Make your matl list for your building and cut for that list.

5. welcome. we like pictures of your experiences. Good luck.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

papax3

Thank you for your reply,

Every little bit helps, and the greater number of times I come across certain terms or words,
the more they sink in.  Borax... second time I've heard that, and now I think I'll remember it.
Up until now, all I knew was "watered-down transmission fluid... spray that on em".  Borax sounds
more like it makes sense.  Out of direct sunlight makes sense.  Cutting directly for house materials
should be a blinding flash of the obvious.... but not until just now.  I don't have house plans just yet,
and I was going to stretch either 2x4's or 2x6's as far as they would go... and then purchase the rest.
Not sure how far those 17 trees will actually take me in board feet.
Thank you again,
you have given me sound guidance, and answered some pretty general questions directly.
Thanxs again!

Thank You Sponsors!