iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best use of...

Started by papax3, February 24, 2011, 07:08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

papax3

Hey!

I have about 17 mature pine trees on my property, and I MUST use them to build a house, given that I have very, very few resources (read that: divorced and broke).

What is the best use of these trees, given that they will be cut with a portable saw mill.
1. Whole logs?
2. Square beams? (square post vs. whole log post?)
3. 2x6s?
4. 2x4's?

I have realized that it's "all about the roof".  I would like to have an exposed beam ceiling with boards running across for roofing.  What's the best way to find beams (26foot span) that are A. cheap,
and B. straight. ?????

Bill Williams
Perryville, Arkansas

laffs

what type of pine?
whats the total board footage?
whats the square footage of the house?
is it a new house or a remodel?
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Is the construction subject to permitting and inspection by building code enforcement organization?
What is position of local inspectors on use of locally milled lumber and/or timbers as structural materials in this construction project?

Brad_bb

Well first I must ask, are you intending to build a timber frame?  Do you need to learn at this point.  Based on some of your questions, I'm thinking that you are at the very beginning.  You've got a bit to learn before you start I'm thinking.

The first things is that you will need to design the frame(or have it designed), so that you will know exactly what you need as far as timbers.

What you'll learn in timber framing, is that with square rule layout, to you don't need perfectly straight timber.  The layout method will allow you to use less than perfect timbers.  By the way, few timbers are really straight.  Most timbers have some degree of crown in them.  Others may have some twist, all of which can be dealt with using the proper layout technique.

As far as materials, If your trees are big enough, you'll be able to cut beams and boards from each tree. and each will have their use in the end, but you don't want to cut them before you have your design done, and a specific shopping list ready.  17 trees won't likely be enough, by the way.

Now you can sometimes find some good prices on reclaimed timbers if you're a good scrounger and have some patience, and are willing to use a metal detector and pull some nails.  Ebay, craigslist, approaching farms with damaged barns etc.  I have purchased some white pine timbers for as low as .26/BF (not including transportation), and hardwood timbers at .90/BF (delivered).  Also if you are willing to work, sometimes farmers who have a barn in disrepair and just want to get rid of it will part with the materials as long as you do the work to disassemble and clean up.  It is work though.

You also mentioned spanning 26 feet.  It sounded like you were intending to span that with a single beam, unsupported in between.  That is most likely too long a span without some other method of support from braces, kingpost or some other support.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Brad_bb

Checkout these current ebay item numbers.  This is what to look for, only in proximity to you.  You have to be a smart shopper of course and buy only what you need or will use, and view and mark the material before you buy it.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!