iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Crosswoods model 30 manual bandmill

Started by tomb, February 24, 2011, 09:39:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomb

I have been looking at mills for a while.  I intend on going to the sawmill shootout at the Paul Bunyan Festival later this year to see as many mills as I can.  However I have come across a lightly used mill at a reasonable price and would like your opinions.
2009 Crosswoods model 30
13 hp Greyhound with electric start
trailer package
loading ramps
electric loading winch
handles up to a 30" diameter log, not sure if it 8 or 10' log length
about 30 hours of use
Heres a link to a youtube video on it.                       http://www.youtube.com/user/sawmiller47
It looks like a nice manual mill, I am waiting for a call back on more information on this mill.  But untill then what is your opinion on it?
I have been looking at manual mills like the Ez boardwalk and the Norwood.  How do you think this mill compares to those mills.
Thanks for your input! :)

Chuck White

Looks like a pretty good manual mill!  It'll get the job done!

I think the first thing I'd do is to figure out a way of opening the side of the blade cover (on the off side) and make a chute for the sawdust to exit instead of just falling all over.

If you get much sawdust on the rail, it'll make for some uneven lumber!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

paul case

i cant see all in the video.
my major concerns are
this mill needs a handle to push the head that isnt attached to the cutting assembly. notice in the video he is pushing on the blade guard with his right hand. on the cable lift heads you can cause the head to deflect by pushing down on it up to 1/8 '' very easily. that will be reflected on the boards.

2 post head may not be as stable as the 4 post head. i  only bring this up since you are comparing them to norwood and ez boardwalk. 2 post heads do work. wm makes the lt 10 that is a 2 post. many guys here have those and they work well.

blade guides are a very important part of the mill and in the video you cant see them . they need to be adjustable in every direrection.

i really couldnt see the log clamp either.

keep in mind that logs are heavy and the frame needs to be pretty heavy to put up with the weight and jostiling around. the tubing that mill is made of needs to be at least 1/4'' wall.

it does look to saw well and the one in the video i would imagine to be 12' cut or so. and a good deal is a good deal. if it works and saws straight  and the price is right it may do everything you need.pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

tomb

I have an update of info for this mill.
Crosswoods is made in Illinois and is a fairly new company.  This mill is a variant of there standard manual mill.  It has been custom sized for the current owner.
It will cut 10'- 6" logs
has 16" bandwheels, but similar mill on website has 19" wheels, so im not exactly sure on the size yet.
Blades guides are adjustable
The frame is made with 2" x 3" x 3/16" steel tube
The owner thinks it takes 13' blades, is this a standard length?
The greyhound motor is a honda knockoff motor with one year of warranty left

Im currently waiting on photos of the mill which is generally kept outside but motor has been covered.
Current asking price is $4250 and its 7 hours away from me.
I do agree it needs a handle for pushing it through the cut and the dust collection needs a exhaust port away from sawyer!
Still up in the air on this one.  I really like the EZ Boardwalk Jr. and the Norwood lumberlite 26.  Im thinking I need to wait till after the sawmill shootout before I pull the trigger on a mill.  But I just dont want a good deal to slip away again! :-\

paul case

i dont know about current prices but the last time i checked the ez boardwalk jr was quite a bit cheaper than that. i was wondring about that motor. i had never heard of greyhound motors before.

19'' band wheels is kind of a stndard size but there are many other sizes.availability is pretty key, if you ever broke or otherwise ruined one  could you buy another wheel? 

i think that the ez jr has a 4'' heavy channel iron frame. norwood 26 you make your own frame and it comes with a track.

generally, blades can be made of any length. length does determine cost. most any manufacturer  or saw shop can make blades to fit any sawmill.

happy hunting.  pc
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

DanG

Is this a poll? ;D  If so, I vote for letting the current owner keep it.  It just doesn't seem like that good of a deal to me.   I would feel differently if the price was $2500, but you could get a brand new LT10 for that money.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

tomb

I received some pictures this afternoon.  The mill is not what I had pictured from the description.  Sorry about the tiny photos, its the only way I can upload them. :(

The motor is one of harbor freights knockoffs. ::)  The mill isnt as hardy as the description sounded. :o  He did say he was negotiable on the price after I saw the pictures.  But I think I will be waiting till the sawmill shootout this fall! 8)

5quarter

Tomb,

Harbor freight mills may be more robust than the one you have pictured...and a 13hp motor pulling through 30" of wood? a little underpowered if you ask me. definitely hold out for a better saw...you'll be glad you did.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Fil-Dill

If you go to www.ezboardwalk.com, there are prices, and also they are putting together a schedule of events that they will be at.
EZ boardwalk 40

paul case

no no no....
20 hp pulling the band thru 30 inches of wood is a LITTLE underpowered.  pc
pc

5quarter

Tomb,

Have you thought about building your own mill? quite a few guys here have built mills that could go toe-to-toe with the big boys and for less $$$. if you have the skills and some patience you could probably build a great saw.

Chet
Blue Harbor Refinishing

LPitt

Look at Linn Lumber's web sight before you buy anything other than one of the major mill makers. I have one and couldn't be happier.
Linn Lumber 1900 hyd, Bobcat T190 with grapple ect., Kubota MX 5100, Ford 555E backhoe, Sthil ms460, home made wood splitter, and more projects than I can count.

tomb

5quarter, I have enough projects to know NOT to get involved in building a mill!  :o
LPitt, I took a look at the linn mills, nice looking mills but I think I prefer the EZ Boardwalk setup, and pricing.  I think unless a steal of a deal comes along I will wait till the Paul Bunyan show and the sawmill shootout before purchasing any mill.

Ive been looking for a couple of years now and unfortunately let a couple of sweet deals pass me by.  You know hindsight is 2020. 
I appreciate everyones help and suggestions on the mills, hopefully I will get the chance to meet some of you at the show!  Thanks and have a great day. 8)

5quarter

Tomb,

Have you thought about building your own mill? quite a few guys here have built mills that could go toe-to-toe with the big boys and for less $$$. if you have the skills and some patience you could probably build a great saw.

Chet
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Bandmill Bandit

For the money i would really lean to a LT10 but then my blood runs orange on mills and green on tractors.

Just took a look at the some of the Shoot Out pic and notes. kinda looks a lot orange to me so far.

Think id be looking LT10 OR 15 if i were in your boots.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

fishpharmer

tomb, it looks like another version of Bill Rakes simple sawmill. 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

jwoods

Hey Tomb,

I'm in your neck of the woods, and have a TA Schmid manual mill.  Let me know sometime if you want to take a look.

Joe

tomb

Sounds good to me, thanks for the invite! ;D

jwoods

No problem, probably be sawing on Saturday.

Busy Beaver Lumber

Hey Tom

I like your website and you do some very nice woodworking. Really like the entertainment cabinets you build.

Fred
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

ftwjr

I have a crosswood mill, the one I have is 30' long and 42" wide, we have cut over 10,000 ft with it. we had ours set up with all hyd and a 35hp engine. I look at a lot of mills and found the crosswood a lot better then some of the big names.
I do think a 4 post head is better on a mill like we have.

thanks
Woody
Thanks Woody

Kssawguy

Bought the plans on Ebay, built the mill, having trouble getting the wheels aligned. Called Roy,and he gave me some advice. I'll see what happens on the weekend. 

Thank You Sponsors!