iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

DIY Segmented Wood Bowl Press

Started by Busy Beaver Lumber, February 22, 2011, 07:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busy Beaver Lumber

Thought the segmented wood bowl turners out there might like to see how I took and el-cheapo 6 ton bearing press and converted it into a very fine wood bowl gluing press.

I started with a $39 bearing press that had a 4 inch capacity as show in the following picture.

As you can see, it had 4 horizontal members that originally defined the capacity of the bearing press.  I took 2 of the horizontal members, cut them in half, and re-drilled these 2 L shaped pieces of metal and used them to increase the vertical capacity of the press. On the two bottom C channels, you will notice I did not use the rods as shown in the first picture. Instead I used longer, hardened bolts and a bunch of washers to make the spread about 2 inches wider for more stability in holding the spacer boards and the bowl being glued up.

I can now glue up bowls that are up to 14 inches tall and 10 inches in diameter. When I make smaller bowls, like the ones in the second picture, I just fill up the press with individual pieces of 2 x 10 scrap boards. In the second picture, you will see a round piece of pressure treated wood at the end of the hydraulic cylinder rod where it makes contact to the base of the bowl. That round piece has a hole drilled in it and rubber o ring insert in it so that is remains on the hydraulic cylinder rod when pressure is released from the bowl. I have about 5 different diameter ones that I can use from 3 inches up through 10 inches to get equal pressure on the bowls depending on what diameter bowl I am making.

This press works awesome, and counting the scrap boards, I have less than $50 into the entire project. On a good day, I can glue up about 10 bowls with this press. You get a real good glue joint and lots of glue oozing out of the joints. One hint, Put a piece of wax paper between the face of the bowl and the wood block spacers so you do not glue the bowl to the spacers, because a lot of glue will squeeze out and run down the inside and outside of the bowl when you apply the pressure with the hydraulic cylinder. When the bowl is removed, the wax paper will eaisly peal right off and the same piece can be re-used about a dozen times.

Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

metalspinner

Very resourceful!

Now, let's see some of the finished pieces. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

SwampDonkey

I've never done any segmented turning before Busy. But, I'm curious why so much pressure is needed. I was wondering maybe less glue and less pressure. As I said, I've never done it so I may not understand the methods. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Busy Beaver Lumber

Swamp

I do not use anywhere near the 6 tons, just enough that I see glue squeeze out from each joint in the layers that make up the bowl.

Better to start with too much glue and have it ooze out, than to have too little glue and have a void, which in turn could give way to a failure in the glue up of the bowl or fragmentation during turning. I have had the opportunity to disect a few bowls that went bad that a few club members made and more times than not, the bowls came apart during lathe turning because of insufficient glue in a joint or joints.

If I had to guess, I would say I apply only about 200 to 300 pounds of pressure. This was just a nice cheap way to make a press for gluing. With the spring at the top, when you release the valve, the ram retracts automatically and frees the bowl blank.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

SwampDonkey

I follow ya. I have edge glued a few panels over the years. I will spread the glue over the entire surface of the edge before clamping. There still is squeeze out no matter how thin the glue film, so I wipe the glue line with a wet sponge after being clamped. Good glue applied properly is stronger than the bond in wood cells. I find Lepages carpenter glue is stronger than TiteBond and it does cost more. Both are made in Ohio. Lepages is sold in Canada.

Been working and designing as I go on a cherry cabinet, the panels are all edge glued and I'll certainly have lots of practice with mortise and tenons now that I have a proper chisel for the job. I already have 20 pair and I ain't done yet. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Burlkraft

That's awesome Beev  8) 8) 8)

I have not done much segmented turning, so much wood, so little time.

Looks like you have the process down.

Now....Pics of the finished product are in order  ;)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Thank You Sponsors!