iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Too many porkipines

Started by Bobcat_pa, December 13, 2003, 06:33:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobcat_pa

I have noticed an increased amount of porkipine damage this fall.  Is there any easy way to get rid of them ?

Corley5

.22 long rifle, .223, 22-250, etc.  I prefer the .223. ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jeff

I actually prefer a full choke 12. I'm not that great a shot off hand. Its amazing that they can get hit with a full blast, fall 70 feet from the top of an aspen, shake the ground when they hit, and still try to wander off.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bobcat_pa

I have already been using those "methods".   I just thought there may be some other less time consumming solution.  THANKS.

SawInIt CA

Kevin

How about a 220 conibear with some salted plywood in behind it?

We don't have that problem thanks to the fisher population.

etat

gotta ask, what is a 220 conibear with some salted plywood in behind it?   Between this and the tree climbing jargon I near about need to larn a new language :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Kevin

A conibear is a killing trap, comes in different sizes for different critters.
The plywood is a favourite food of the porky.
Actually I think it might be the glue they go after.

Minnesota_boy

Connibears are traps that are intended to snap over the head of an animal and kill instantly.  The are a double square frame with springs to keep the squares in one position (closed) .  You force them to the opposite position and latch them with the trigger.  If the animal trips the trigger with its head, the trap snaps to the other position, trapping the head between the steel frame of the trap with a sharp snap, usually killing it instantly.

Connibears come in different sizes for different intended animals.  You would likely use a 110 for a muskrat, a 220 for raccoon, a 330 for beaver, etc.  In this state it is illegal to set a 330 other than submerged in water because they can kill such things as dogs also.  A nice picture of a 110 is here: http://www.bugspray.com/catalog/products/page634.html

A 330 has 2 springs and is a real (conni)bear to set by hand.  :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Bro. Noble

I guess I would sell you one of my porkypine dogs.  They must be pretty good cause you never see any porkey pines around here :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Buzz-sawyer

Minnesota ...Ilove my connibears for beaver and that trap shy coon!
Do you run a line this year ?
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Minnesota_boy

Nope, I ran a beaver trapline one spring and the wife said that was enough.  :o

I caught a beaver in a 330 connibear, by the tail.  I wonder what he was trying to do?

Kevin

He was trying to insult you.  :D

Buzz-sawyer

Was it scent mound set...that would evplain it!
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Minnesota_boy

Nope, just set in a runway between two ponds.  He should have swum head first into it.

Stan

Do your porkypine dogs have a lot of pock marks on thier snouts, Noble? I saw one in the Siskyous and he looked awful.
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Bro. Noble

Stan,

Nope,  my dogs are smarter than that.  The Porkypines are so scared of them they don't come within 5 or 6 hunnard miles of them :D :D

They do have some funny bulges on their noses from getting too friendly with copperheads though :-/
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Texas Ranger

Brother Noble, I hate to mention this, but since you brought up them snake bit hound noses, you got a rizin on yours that I think indicates da big guy done it to ya again.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Mark M

I thought that was a pipple on Noble's nose. ;)

I had one just like that when I was a kid.

Bobcat_pa

Well, so much for my porkypine problem.   But glad to see it brought out a little humor and life in some folks.    I have decided to stay with the lead solution, and keep the forest (Sawinit) for now.  THANKS...bob

bitternut

The best way to get rid of the porkies is to locate their den trees. Beech trees seem to be quite popular for that purpose in my woods. They are easy to spot because there is usually a hole at the base of the tree ( which is hollow)  with a lot of droppings spilling out of the hole. The droppings look like very large rat turds full of sawdust. Snow is helpful for finding very active dens.

Once you have located the den tree a properly placed steel snare will soon easily capture your prickly friend. They will be found alive and very agitated when you get there so be careful.

Yes a 330 connibear will also do a nice job. They are actually quite easy to set using a 3' length of stout nylon braided rope.

Once you have the porky you can sell the quills on e-bay or give them to a native american for native crafts.

dail_h

We ain't got none of dem porkyhawgs roun here,is they good ta eat? Maybe wif grits or sweet taters 8) 8)
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Greenie

We had porcupines aplenty, girdling beech trees, gnawing into t-111, and clipping branches off of hemlocks. I was told to set a shallow dish ( I used a trash can lid ) of salt water out where the porcupines will drink it. I set it out and was amazed at how well it works. I heard that the salt upsets their systems and they end up drinking too much water that eventually kills them.
Whatever it does it does it well.

dail_h

Now I wudd'nta never thought a that,presalted porkys. that a good idea
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Thank You Sponsors!