iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

building a log forwarding trailer

Started by logman81, February 22, 2011, 09:58:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

hey todd.crow, good to see your back, hope you get back to your loader soon, I can't wait to see the finished result. Logman, I would suggest you find a loader that has the controls you're looking at and try it, if you've ran any log loaders I don't think you'll like it. You need to be able to open/close the grapple while the rest of the loader is moving to be effecient at all, having to stop the operation so you can run the grapple isn't too smooth :( Truck loaders have the swing on foot pedals, and the grapple is left hand side to side if I remember right (it's the motion that usually swings the boom on an excavator, when I first started on a center mount every time I tried to swing left I dumped my wood on the ground ::)) If you have a seat set up you could go with a foot swing, but I think a 2 way solenoid that would switch between grapple rotate and open close would be pretty simple and would make it way faster to load with. My .02
Too many irons in the fire

bill m

logman81, for what you are doing a separate lever for opening and closing the grapple in between the joy sticks should not be a problem. The log loader on my Metavic is set up that way and works fine. Having to take your hand off the joystick to operate the grapple only adds 2 or 3 seconds to the cycle time for each stick so with a load of firewood (about 30 pieces ) it adds less than a minute and a half for loading time.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

logman81

That's what I was thinking bill m I just want to keep it simple and easy to operate. I'm not worried about high production and I don't think 2-3 seconds is going to make that much difference.  Hey bill m do you know the manufacture of the control valve? I really like metavic's setup seams easy to operate. Any pics of your machine?
Precision Firewood & Logging

brendonv

On the Farma Loaders, the brand is HydroControl Model 12174.  I know you didn't ask me but worth throwing out there.   I know this because I'm currently adding a flow control valve to mine, it's all fresh in the brain.

Bill at HydroControl is very helpful.

Left stick is upper boom and mast rotation. Next is left outrigger, right out rigger, then grapple open close, and lower boom and grapple rotation.  I think.   :D  Very user friendly setup.

Uses 1/2" BSPP Ports, and you can get them to convert to anything.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

logman81

Thanks brendonv that helps a lot I really appreciate it. Did you get a chance to take pictures of the loader boom? May I ask why you are putting a flow control on it is it operating to fast for you?

logman81

brendonv do you have a website for hydrocontrol?

brendonv

This weekend I can get the pics for you.

Adding a flow control for a crappy designed hydraulic system from Farma, or  JMS.  The upper boom has no counter balance valve, so if the stick drops too fast, then when the stick hits vertical, the cylinder stalls as it waits for the pump to catch up and fill the empty side of the cylinder.  I am going to slow down the drop with a flow control valve, or try to anyways.  They don't even have filters on them either from factory.  I have one in the barn that just came in the mail this week for it.

It might be Brian, not Bill actually for hydrocontrol.

http://www.hydrocontrol-inc.com/en/company/sedi-hydrocontrol-nel-mondo

www.VorioTree.com

logman81

Thanks brendonv for the link but I could not find the specific valve. Does your valve have two four way levers? All the ones I saw on the site were two lever valves. I can't believe it doesn't have a filter on it that's just not right at all.

brendonv

Yes, two four way levers.   5 levers in total.

Call them up.

I took pics for you this morning, I'll e-mail them tonight.

www.VorioTree.com

brendonv

www.VorioTree.com

redlaker1

as brendonv said   you didnt ask   but   I will put in my last plug for the selector valve.     

having to take my hands off the controls to go from grapple to rotation would drive me nuts...   but then again I am used to running hoe and continuous motion.    its just so much more fluid and smooth to be able to quickly go back and forth with the grapple functions.

the cost wouldnt be much more if any,  and its really simple to plumb.   but if you dont load wood that often or do it for a living then I guess its not a big deal

looking forward to some more pictures of the progress on these projects.    I really enjoy seeing peoples projects

if I didnt have a mini excavator with a thumb and a dump trailer already I would probably be building one of these.    but I am getting by at the moment

logman81

I'll stick with the lever to open and close the grapple it's not that big of a deal to me it would be better than what I have now witch is nothing! I will be starting to get what I need next week, I'm going to try and get all of the hydraulic parts that I will need first, Then I will get the axles, tires and wheels and then the steel. I'm also thinking about getting Alibre design so I can design it first and make sure all the bugs are worked out first. ;D

brendonv

I see no problem with all levers, as long as they are properly setup.  No taking your hands off anything to operate the functions on mine. 

www.VorioTree.com

logman81

There really is no problem with all levers. I'll set mine up with the levers and I'll be plenty happy with that setup. If it works good I might build a loader for my landscape trailer that way I can haul my own logs off my job sites myself. Or buy a used log trailer like a jms or something like that. 

redlaker1

oh I was under the impression you were going with joysticks,       if its all levers then whats another couple levers.    you could go as big as you want and have a few extra circuits on there for future use,  independent stabilizers, etc

logman81

I'll be using a valve that has two four way levers, two levers for the stabilizers and one lever for the opening and closing of the grapple and it will run off the tractor hydraulic pump witch is 11 GPM.

bill m

Is this trailer for off road or on road?

logman81

It's going to be built for off road to tow behind my tractor.

bill m

Don't put axles under it, build it with bogies. They will climb over rough ground and obstacles, straight axles will not.

logman81

That's exactly what I'm going to do. :) Thanks for the tip any more?

Stephen Alford

Hardest thing about having a log loader is it takes about 2 weeks to get the smirk off your face the first time you run one.  Because of clearance issues I removed the draw bar and use the 3 pt hitch to hook to a swival hitch on the trailer. This makes it very easy to hook up and if the trailer were to flip it would not take the tractor. As redlaker1 pointed out  be sure the check valves are there and set right.  The first time I had the loader at the front and stood to operate it. Found I liked the seat and to the back.  Easier to see what I am doing and having an arm rest makes you faster.  The biggest thing for productivity  is the extend/boom.   Most do not have a cab so a shield over the levers will save you a lot of grief. If it is sloped front and back wires and limbs will ride over and not damage the levers. Given the choice I would have the stabilizer levers away from the rest.  With big gloves , frozen fingers and loose clothes you can hook one of the stabilizer levers by mistake if they are all the same height and in the middle. If you are unloading good sized logs it will give you quite a lurch. I adjusted them after that happened.   ;D

logon

logman81

Sounds good Stephen Alford I'll keep the checks valve in mind.

logman81

Can any one tell me the manufacturer of the joystick valve on the Metavic log loaders? I emailed them a few days ago and have not got a response yet.

Ironwood

Logman,

No offense, but they may not call you back, If you're reverse engineering ANYTHING it is difficult to expect a call back on a question. Least that is my experience (guess I rarely ever asked, but just seems that would be my experience :D)

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

logman81

I didn't tell them I was building anything I told them that I needed a replacement one.

Thank You Sponsors!