iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

building a log forwarding trailer

Started by logman81, February 22, 2011, 09:58:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill m

Here is a picture of the valve on my Metavic. I can't remember what brand it is. I can look tomorrow and let you know.

NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

logman81

That wood be a huge help bill m. If you could tell me the brand and possibly the model number that would be great. Seems to me that it is a good setup and easy to use. Just curious how much hydraulic flow is needed to run the loader? My tractor has 11 gpm so I think that should be enough. ??? 
Precision Firewood & Logging

Ironwood

Ahhh, well in that case Bill, make sure you dont just PM him, let us all know. That is a nice setup. ;D ;D

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

bill m

My tractor has about 12 gpm. I run it at about 1200 to 1300 rpm. anything faster and the loader is to hard to control.

mog5858

log man81 what i mean by  taking the sweat out is when you start to heat up your steel with a LP torch or tigger torch you will see it get wet  and start to sweat then clear off. i would say in the 150-300 F if you can try a test pice befor you go for it. i don't know how good of a welder or what you got for a mig i would not try to do a weld like that whitout a 220V mig and make shere you got a gas mig. the no gas flux core i would not trust them little ones.  just a ruff starting place i would say in the 22-26Volts and 350+ wire speed.

logman81

Thanks bill m, Then my tractor should have no problem powering it. mog5858 I'm using a Lincoln 216 mig, I am an excellent welder and fabricator, I have built my own firewood conveyor and atv log skidding arch. ;D I'm using 75% argon and 25% CO2 gas mix.   

bill m

The control valve on my Metavic is made by Walvoil from Italy. The nearest dealer to me is Airline Hydraulics in Bensalen, Pa.  www.airlinehyd.com

Ironwood

If someone inquires to the supplier of the valves, could you share the cost with us so we dont inundate them w/ inquiries.

Thanks Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

logman81

Thanks bill m you wouldn't happen to know the part # of the valve? I checked the web site out but I need to know the model number to get the right quote. Once I get a price I will let you know all about it.

bill m

I could not find a part no. on mine. You would just have to call and talk to a sales person and describe what you are doing with it. You want series circuit spool sections so you can operate more than one lever at a time. Another place for the Walvoil valves is www.hydraulic-supply.com

brendonv

Log man, how about you fire me over some pics of your conveyor.  You have my address.   ;)

I've got a small spare Honda, and a rough idea of a conveyor. 
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

logman81

Brendonv I build them and sell them as a side line to my logging and tree service business. Thanks so much bill m for your help I'll keep you all posted on the build. ;D

logman81

I have contacted airlinehyd.com about the loader valve but they have not gotten back to me yet I will try again in a few days. I did however find a supplier for airline products in Northkingston which is very close to me. I may try and contact them and go through them for the info.

logman81

I'm not having much luck with airlinehyd.com with a response from them. Still looking for info on the valves that they sell. I'll try going through local supply place for the info and see if that works. I'm ready to start building the log forwarding trailer so I need the info.

Ironwood

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Ironwood

logman81

Your welcome. ;D I just wish I could a response from the hydraulics place I really need the valve for mock up purpose. 

brendonv

I would think the valve would be almost the last thing you'd need.  Mine simply mounts on a T shaped mount made of 1.5" square tube.

Get to work!   :D
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

logman81

Maybe so but I would like to have it in my hand to figure out where to mount it. I'm going down to the steel supplier this week and get a price quote for the steel. The 75 acre logging job has be taking up all my time lately so I only have weekends to work on it.

Spalted Dog

Any progress on your trailer?  I am working on a similar project.  Hope to order steed today.
The older I get the less I used to know.

logman81

Spalted Dog I actually went a different route and bought a pettibone skidder. ;D I felt that I would never able to keep making a living with all the break downs I have had using the the tractor. It's just not design to be put through the stress of logging. But I do plan in the future to build a self loader for may tag along trailer for those occasional small yard jobs where their isn't enough logs for a log truck to come. I still may build a forwarding trailer for those small jobs where minimal ground disturbance is a must I'm all ways building something! :D Keep us posted I love to see self built log loading trailers once you build one you will find many uses for it.   

Thank You Sponsors!