iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How much longer??

Started by HiTech, February 23, 2012, 12:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HiTech

How much longer will the Logging Industry Survive? Log prices are terrible, the market is flooded with wood and equipment costs an arm and a leg. Diesel fuel prices are crazy. Bar n chain oil is going up daily. Tires are twice what they were a year ago. The buyers are picky, picky. Forests are like gardens in that they will always be needing a weeding or thinning. The question will it be profitable?

Bert

Well the world needs wood no doubt so the industry isnt going anywhere. Demand has been down with the economy but I have definitely seen improvements. How the gas price spike recently effects things is a story yet to be told. Profitability is up to the business owner ultimately. We are a bare bones operation but the overhead is very low. That keeps us in business. Somedays I want a shiny new skidder, but the reality is they are not worth the money. Find a niche market that works for you and go with it.
Saw you tomorrow!

Mark K

Im trying to find ways to survive myself. I just put an order in for diesel fuel that should easily put me through the summer. Bought a drum of motor oil and hydraulic oil before prices went through the roof. Im glad im doing contract work and am good in with a mill that has kept me busy when things where bad. Just have to keep plugging along and not make any bold moves until things get better. We're all in the same boat.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

Thank You Sponsors!