iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Purchasing First Saw

Started by JustWondering, February 20, 2011, 11:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustWondering

I am 22 years old, I have been doing woodwork sense I was strong enough to hold a splitting maul. We just came across a seemingly endless supply of firewood and are now going to be bucking, splitting and stacking as much wood as my father and I can. That said, my father owns a 056 AV Super and a 028wb. I will probably be getting his 056 super from him when he realizes its too heavy for him so I do not have a need for a 87 cc + saw. I need a saw powerful enough to buck larger hardwoods as well light enough to do any liming that might have to be done. First thought is the ms 362. Any professional thoughts?
Stihl 026
Stihl 036
Stihl ms460
Stihl ms 660
Stihl 045 Super (24")
TimberWolf TW5

shinnlinger

If you are using it to make your $, Stihl, Husky or J-red are a good choice. But If not, an Efco, Dolmar or Solo might save you some serious $.  Now you could argue that a name brand saw will be worth more a few years from now, but you are paying up front for the retained value later and hoping that it doesn't get stolen, blown up, dropped  or run over. 

Now parts availability is always a question for the "lesser" brands but with the internet and folks like Chainsawr, you can probably keep an old saw going indefinitely.

Now the question I have is should I buy a used  044 or a new saw from above for the same $  There is a nice Efco thread going on in this forum right now.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

JustWondering

This saw is for my personal use only. I want to spend the money once and be happy with my choice for the rest of my life. I plan on doing wood work for the rest of my life and I want something that I will last me through it. Price not being the option, what is truly the best out there for a aggressive home owner looking to cut 20-25 cords a year.

Thanks,
Leif
Stihl 026
Stihl 036
Stihl ms460
Stihl ms 660
Stihl 045 Super (24")
TimberWolf TW5

shinnlinger

What part of the country are you in?  How big are you cutting?  What size bar would you like?  All hardwood?  Any good dealers near you?

As for the one saw for life mentality, I have 3 chainsaws from the 70's thatl still work, a Jonsered sp49, a Partner f-55 and a Stihl 041AV.  THey all beat an axe, but that Stihl weighs 16 lbs and the rest aren't too far behind.  It runs well but you can get saws that weigh 4-5lbs less that put out more power with better ergonomics and safety features these days.  If $ is truly no object, trade in and buy a new saw every few years and revisit your options.  The more you saw the more your opinions of what works best for you will change.

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

JustWondering

I am located in central new jersey, cutting mainly hardwoods that can range in diameter from 18" to 40", mostly red oak and white, some cherry, elm, assorted maples. I was hoping to be using a 18" bar. Plenty of good dealers for stihl. I'm not thinking of only owning one saw for my entire life. I just need an all around saw to start me off, as I said I am going to be getting the 056 so for going bigger, i dont thing i need to do that for some time. Right now im looking for a 50- 60 cc  saw that can buck the bigger pieces as well be light enough for liming if needed, but its all hard woods.
Stihl 026
Stihl 036
Stihl ms460
Stihl ms 660
Stihl 045 Super (24")
TimberWolf TW5

beenthere

QuoteFirst thought is the ms 362

I think you are right on with the MS362 but with a 20" bar.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

smc967

I have a Husky 365 Special and am very pleased with it. I also got the smallest Husky saw at the same time the 265, with a 14" blade and its dead handy for cutting smaller branches etc and weights nothing.

SwampDonkey

A few years ago father and I looked at the smaller saws for weight and power and we chose the Husky 55 because the dealer is good and we got them on sale. We've never had troubles with them and use 16" bar and .325 chain. We cut rock maple, beech, yellow birch firewood. The smaller saws than this never had the power to cut 12" diameter firewood without stopping the chain before slicing through. We don't cut much firewood now as we get it all bucked and dumped now. But, I like my saw. Comes in handy to, for cutting spruce in the back yard that the wind break off, some are over 25" on the but.

My Husky 55 and one of 2 shiny Logrite peaveys I'm proud to own. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

JustWondering

Quote from: beenthere on February 21, 2011, 01:20:42 AM
QuoteFirst thought is the ms 362

I think you are right on with the MS362 but with a 20" bar.
What are the advantages of the 20" bar vs the 18" bar? and what should I choose for pitch, and how aggressive of a chain should i start off with? Is it worth the extra money to get the MS 362 C-Q?

SwampDonkey, Thanks for the post, that looks like a serious Peavey, i would not mind purchasing that shortly after.

Thanks for the advice,
Leif
Stihl 026
Stihl 036
Stihl ms460
Stihl ms 660
Stihl 045 Super (24")
TimberWolf TW5

oldaxman

Quote from: JustWondering on February 21, 2011, 12:09:49 AM
This saw is for my personal use only. I want to spend the money once and be happy with my choice for the rest of my life. I plan on doing wood work for the rest of my life and I want something that I will last me through it. Price not being the option, what is truly the best out there for a aggressive home owner looking to cut 20-25 cords a year.

Thanks,
Leif
No saw will last "the rest of your life "In fact firewood cutting is the hardest on a saw of any use there is.. Plan this in your budget, your cost of business. Buy a Stihl or a Husky big enough so your not over working it, 3.5 cubes at least,4 would be better. Stay away from hardware store junk, they are not made to last. Good part is, it's a write off on your taxes. When your old like me, you will have a huge pile of old saws in corner of your barn to remind you of how much fun your lifes been. :D

JustWondering

Ok I can agree with the no saw will last a life time. I am just hoping to make a sound decision in my purchase. If I go with the MS 362 is it worth the money to go with the MS 362 C-Q, What Bar Length? 18" or 20" and Why? Chain choice  and why?  Is there a better saw then the MS 362? More reliable ? i need a go too saw that i can run all day with out wanting to throw the thing out the truck on the way home.
Stihl 026
Stihl 036
Stihl ms460
Stihl ms 660
Stihl 045 Super (24")
TimberWolf TW5

JustWondering

Is there a clear better choice of new saws then the MS 362, for bucking hard woods?

Leif
Stihl 026
Stihl 036
Stihl ms460
Stihl ms 660
Stihl 045 Super (24")
TimberWolf TW5

SwampDonkey

Leif these type of questions get all kinds of answers biased by preference. Pick a size 55-60 cc probably with 16-18" bar and go with the name brands, check out the dealer for service and buy one. The longer the bar the bigger the wood you can sink into, but you also need more power. You going to be man handling chunks bigger than 18"? That's pretty heavy green, 148 lbs if it's 16" length oak and 132 lbs if rock maple. Splitting of course makes a lot of difference, quartered it's still 37 lbs and 33 lbs.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

JustWondering

Typically all of the stems are between 12-40". I need something that can pull a 18-20 " bar and not get bogged down in the big stuff. Most if it is red and white oak. I have heard a lot of good things about the MS 362 and wanted to buy new and begin my own track record of owning a saw and maintaining it myself. I do not want to buy something that is not proven to be a great buy its a lot of money and I would like something that is not going to be a problem every time I start it up.
Stihl 026
Stihl 036
Stihl ms460
Stihl ms 660
Stihl 045 Super (24")
TimberWolf TW5

beenthere

Quote from: JustWondering on February 21, 2011, 06:09:36 PM
Is there a clear better choice of new saws then the MS 362, for bucking hard woods?

Leif

You are persistent.  ;D
Is there something about the MS 362 that makes you nervous? Or does it just sound too good to be true? ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bill m

As long as you have a good dealer get the ms362 - it's a great saw.

NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

JustWondering

The new strato engine along with the new restrictions has me questioning how his saw will hold up compared to the one it replaced. The 361 from what i have read has not gotten bad reviews. I would like to buy new and I just dont want to buy a machine at that price with out a proven track record. I plan to use it a lot and would just want to make sure its a good buy. In a way it sounds too good to be true.

Thanks for all the advice,
Leif
Stihl 026
Stihl 036
Stihl ms460
Stihl ms 660
Stihl 045 Super (24")
TimberWolf TW5

isawlogs

Go with the ms362 , leave the c-Q be. Lots of power in that saw to do what you have in mind, wether you put an 18" or the 20" bar on it. Personally I like the 18" bar on the 036 I have it will pull it through what ever I set itin.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

beenthere

JustWondering
Good that you are checking it out. I think you are on the right track.

The longevity of about any of the good saw brands on the market will likely depend more on the care and attention the operator gives it, rather than the name. These companies are not selling any junk. IMO

As bill m says, be sure you have a good dealer to back you up with parts, technical know-how, and support.  Prolly most important in your selection of name brand.

You do your part with good maintenance, fuel mixing, chain and bar care, filter cleaning and the like, - - the saw will perform well.

And not loaning the saw to friends would be a good policy to follow. :)
south central Wisconsin

JHBC

The 361 is still available new in some parts, if you don't care for the newer design.  I haven't tried a 362, but can't imagine a huge difference.  IMO a 361 w/ 20" is an ideal firewood saw.  But that said, I cut almost only softwoods, Alder not being a "real" hardwood, and when I do buck up Oak for firewood I prefer more power.  Not saying you need a huge saw, but a 372XP or MS441 size with 20" might cause you a lot less work, but at least a few hundred bucks more.  20 to 25 cords of oak firewood a year is a lot of hard cutting, and you say you want a good saw for a lot of years to come.  The 372 is only about half a pound more, so weight shouldn't be a big issue, but the sticker price definitely could.
MS460 28"    MS660  36"    MS441 20"/24"    394XP 32"/36"    3120XP 32"/42"

JustWondering

Thanks for all the advice i will take it all in account before making a purchase.

Leif
Stihl 026
Stihl 036
Stihl ms460
Stihl ms 660
Stihl 045 Super (24")
TimberWolf TW5

Thank You Sponsors!