iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodpecker

Started by sbishop, February 20, 2011, 02:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ely

does this mean i have to start eating all the spiders instead of spraying for them? :D

clww

Just those with 8 legs.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Stephen1

steve, you haven't taken care of those little guys yet? what are you doing up there, there only woodpeckers. :D
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

sbishop

Was at the camp yesterday, took the wife with me so she could see why we don't need woodpeckers around the camp.

look at this new hole they got going.....i was almost in tears!

we stayed for about 4hrs with the 12gauge ready but no luck.

I put up a bunch of pie plates hanging from strings...they were banging quite loudly yesterday so lets hope this works until spring time so i can get this place chinked and stain.

any suggestion on how to plug this hole beside stuffing it with a dead woodpecker?

beenthere

Are they woodpeckers, and not squirrels?
If gone, rat trap is my best recommendation.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sbishop

A friend of mine that was with me last week stopped by my camp today and reporting to wasn't any new damage....so the pie plates are working or the woodpecker is went south for a week!  8)

Sbishop

isawlogs

Woodpeckers  ::)   

This is a pic of the barn here, the upper part is drive in. In the summer it is also garage/parking/repair area. See those nice capola's on the roof , those are open to the inside now. This type of roof is very echowee when no hay is in there to stop the echo. These capola's are like bells on a church  In the spring the woodpeckers will drum as said above for mating/choosing/dating. Those little buggers(woodpecker) wait till you are bent over under a hood and will attack them with a passion drumming for all there worth on those dam capola's  :o   First time I was sure the roof was caving in  ::)

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

northwoods1

Quote from: sbishop on March 20, 2011, 08:32:15 PM
A friend of mine that was with me last week stopped by my camp today and reporting to wasn't any new damage....so the pie plates are working or the woodpecker is went south for a week!  8)

Sbishop

Sbishop, I knew when you posted the 1st pics that it was not a woodpecker doing that damage but a squirrel. You can tell because it is chewing and trying to enlarge the existing cracks on your building trying to get in. Now with the last pics you posted you can see that it is able to get in there.

Forget about the woodpecker idea you are dealing with a squirrel  ::)

Where does that hole lead too? Is that full round log or siding on a stick frame built structure?

It is most likely a red squirrel but could be a flying squirrel like one of the 1st posters mentioned.

I will tell you how to deal with it and verify what I am saying, get a rat trap and use peanut butter as bait. Fasten a small board temporarily to the log by that hole and set the trap on it and fasten the trap down. Next time you come to visit the culprit will be in it and it will be a red or flying squirrel. If you catch one flying squirrel there will be more they always shack up together there will be several.

ely

and for the record, squirrel is way better than woodpeckers, in the skillet. digin1

SwampDonkey

A squirrel may possibly have enlarged the hole, but the initial attack is a woodpecker because no squirrel has a peek long enough to chew into a deep narrow crevass as shown in the first pictures.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

What??  Squirrels don't have long peeks??  Learning something new ever day here. :)

Quoteno squirrel has a peek long enough to chew into a deep narrow crevass as shown in the first pictures
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

northwoods1

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 23, 2011, 05:17:39 PM
A squirrel may possibly have enlarged the hole, but the initial attack is a woodpecker because no squirrel has a peek long enough to chew into a deep narrow crevass as shown in the first pictures.

Don't make me go outside and take pictures of my cedar siding showing the same exact kind of damage which is being done by flying squirrels :D

or I should say "was" being done :)

I've been battling those things for a while now, one of the drawbacks of having wood siding and having a number of bird feeders containing sunflowers seeds just off the deck. In every case the start at a crack and try to enlarge it exactly as shown in the pics. They can scamper around on a wood sided house like there is nothing to it.

No point in debating it though all he has to do is get a rat trap, put it on a board like I said next to the hole w/some peanut butter as bait and he will find out real quick that it is a squirrel. Maybe we could take bets just to make it a little more interesting :) :D

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

SwampDonkey

One good woodpecker's initial invasion becomes an opportunity for a squirrel. Works the same in pecker poles. ;) Sometimes it's an owl in the wood pecker house, or in an abandoned porcupine den in a hollow hardwood.  ;D

sbishop

Can flying squirels do this kind of damage? i seen 4 of those guys about a month ago up there!

SwampDonkey

They can chew like any other squirrel. Do the holes look chewed or pecked? Maybe both if you have them tag team'n it.  ;D

I've never seen a flying squirrel in my life, let alone 4 at once. And I've stayed in a lot of hunting camps over the years. All we trapped was red squirrels. :D

beenthere

Quote from: sbishop on March 27, 2011, 07:15:25 PM
Can flying squirels do this kind of damage? i seen 4 of those guys about a month ago up there!

Google "flying squirrel damage" and you will get several hits that mention their chewing to get inside to build a nest.
Is there much of a void behind that "hole" you pictured?
south central Wisconsin

Thehardway

I had a wood pecker decide that the open edge of one of my SIP panels was a great place to build a temporary home.  He made a hole about 3" in dia. and about 10" deep.  I allowed him to winter over in his Energy star compliant, LEED certified home for the remainder of the winter before evicting him and filling the hole with greatstuff.  I beleive the house should have a historical marker placed outside as the first energy efficient wildlife habitat.  The woodpecker and I were well accustomed to each other and he would visit on a regular basis.  I also had 2 nests of barn swallows raised while the house was open and a third nest that a momma abandoned due to my activity.

Here is an environmentally friendly solution which is not specie selective. Most of the time it will merely cause severe discomfort but not kill.

Run 2 peices of 14ga. romex wire up and across the area of interest. Staple it to the wood.  The wires should be stripped back to expose the copper wire  and placed no more than 1.5" apart.  A alternating runs can be done for large areas. Put a plug on the other end and plug it into a 110V receptacle. The next time the squirrel or bird visits, it will be an electrifying experience he has and he will only try a couple times before figuring out he is not welcome.

This works great for keeping squirrels out of bird feeders mounted on wood posts too.
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

sbishop

TheHardWay,

That is a really good option....but i don't have power....the only power i have is from a shotgun... :D

i'm hoping to make a visit there in the next week or 2...i'll provide an update.

Thehardway

Oh well, I tried. ;D
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

Thank You Sponsors!