iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Why buy a bandmill?  

Started by Corley5, December 11, 2003, 03:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

Why buy a bandmill when you could have the real thing for less?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2580735913&category=57111&rd=1
Pretty good looking machine and I'm sure it'd SAW logs ;D ;D 8) 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

chet

I can see that saw in my shed right now.  :) Just wish the wife had the same vison.  :-/
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

SawInIt CA

Tom

Yeah......  Truckloads and truckloads a day :D :D

Bibbyman

I'd like to have the infeed deck and Mary'd like the cab. ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

woodchip

I went with the band mill because it,s portable and being a one man operation.

EZ

A bandmill, to me there is just something about that little skinny blade going though all that hard wood. Wont ever change.
EZ

Corley5

I like hearing that big engine roar and the blade sing 8) and hey it's portable it has axles that can be put back under it.  Pull that into somebody's side yard to saw a few logs and you'd make a real impression :o ;D ;) :D 8)

EZ

In my younger years I would have taken off that really quiet muffler and replace it with dual 3 inch chrome pipes. ;D
EZ

Corley5

Huh??  What'd ya say?  Ya gotta speak up a bit ;D ;D ;D

sawman

I have yet to have the lt30 throw any teeth at me. I can remember back years ago when dad was running an old circle saw he would hit something in the log and teeth would fly everywhere.Had several close calls to being hit by them but thankfully everyone managed to stay unharmed.
   The old mill was powered by an old straight 8 buick engine,
    and belt. Old mill is still there or at least what is left of it.
'14 LT40 Hydraulic 26 HP koehler ,massey ferguson 2200 forklift, Case IH D40
Wallenstein FX85

Bibbyman

A mill like that would be fine if you had an Amish family to support it - say 10 or so able bodies.

Mary and I can average 1mbf/person/per day with our Wood-Mizer easy enough and it's all we need.  And the cost for electricity to power it and edger for a month wouldn't add up to the cost of a new air filter on that big diesel engine.

That's why. ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

ARKANSAWYER

It would make a man wonder why they would sell such a nice saw? ???  Surly they are not going to buy a bigger one!   I bet they got tired of trying to feed that thing.  It's fuel bill would cost more then my entire operation.  And besides a feller would get tired of turning his logs into so much sawdust all the time.  I to would like the log deck.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Buzz-sawyer

The diesel motor on my circle mill consumes bout 8-10 gallons in a LONG days work....
not too bad
Don
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Paul_H

How many people would it take to run that circle mill? I seem to remember Jeff saying that there are 5 people at his mill.

1 sawyer,2 off bearers/edgeing,1 feeding and moving,and 1 to count the money.

30,000 bf in a shift of 5 men. That's not too shabby.

Is that about average for the bigger mills?
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

rebocardo

Notice the liability disclaimer. Maybe someone fell into the open drivebelt or someone got hurt because the way it was designed. Safety was not a big concern in older products, saws, mills, or cars.

Minnesota_boy

Arkansasawyer,
If you look at the seller on that auction, you'll notice that this is a governmental entity.  These entities change over time and decide that a peice of equipment is no longer in their interests and they sell it on an auction.  The equipment may be in perfect condition and nearly new, but they sell it anyway.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Jeff

Well, if one of you guys buy it you will get a-one tech support from Ron and I. Ron runs one a canadian built, and I used to run the american made. We know them inside and out. Ours was a 71, it was wore out by 84. The verticle edger on this one appears to be a light model, just a board edger. That mill was built only a half hour from my home, and odds are I know the welders the built it, the parts guys that kept it going  and the salesman that sold it. The Morbark mill is pretty much a direct copy of the good ole Forestall mills, that became CMCs, the mill that I run.  You can still buy a new CMC. I was going to post the web address fro Hill top Equipment, but the site is down right now.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Corley5

$25,000 bought it.  That's alot of stuff for the money 8)

Thank You Sponsors!