iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

red cedar pics

Started by luckylager, February 19, 2011, 06:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luckylager

just finished an order of red cedar. nice stuff eh?

woodman58

That is some real nice cedar.
i LOVE THE SMELL OF SAW DUST IN THE MORNING.
Timberking 2200

Magicman

Looks like you have been sleeping for over a year.  Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  How about sharing some more information about your operation.  It looks interesting.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Wintergreen Mountain

That sure does SMELL good!!!!!!!!!    ;D :D smiley     _airfreshener

LEON
1920 Ford 4x4 tractor, forks & bucket. 2010 36" Turner Mills band mill. Cat-Claw blade sharpener. Cat-Claw Dual Tooth Setter. Cat D3 crawler dozer. Cat 215c excavator, Ford L9000 dump truck. Gardner Denver 190 portable air compressor. KatoLight 40Kw trailer mounted gen set. Baker M412 4-head planer.

WDH

That cedar is exceptionally clear.  That must have been a magnificent tree.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

customdave

Yes nice lookin cedar & sawshed, must a been a fair size tree...

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

DanG

That's some beautiful wood alright, but it looks more like Atlantic White Cedar than ERC.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jeff

I would think it to be Western Red since the fellow is from B.C.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DanG

Aahh, right you are Jeff.  He didn't say Eastern, did he? :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

WDH

OK.  That explains it.  Fooled me.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

redbeard

Very nice clear WRC Nice job milling it up grains are nice and straight!
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Brucer

Yep, that's Western Red Cedar.

Quote from: DanG on February 19, 2011, 10:01:47 PM
That's some beautiful wood alright, but it looks more like Atlantic White Cedar than ERC.

They're the same genus. In fact, I think they're the only two "cedar" species in North America that are related. WRC is slightly stronger.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

WDH

They are not the same genus.  WRC is a Thuja as is Northern White Cedar of the frozen North.  ERC is a Juniperous, and Atlantic White Cedar is a Chamaecyparis.

Of these four, Northern White Cedar and Atlantic White Cedar seem to be most similar in color, texture, aroma, and properties to me.  WRC and ERC are very different.

LeeB

And if memory serves me right, none of them are cedar, but more related to the cypresss family.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

clww

That's some superior looking wood there! 8) 8) 8)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Brucer

Quote from: WDH on February 20, 2011, 11:49:53 AM
They are not the same genus.  WRC is a Thuja as is Northern White Cedar of the frozen North.  ERC is a Juniperous, and Atlantic White Cedar is a Chamaecyparis.

DanG, you're right! WRC (Thuja plicata) and Northern White Cedar (Thuja occidentalis) are related. Northern White is also (officially) called Eastern White.

I have a book that lists Atlantic White Cedar as an alternative name for Northern White Cedar. A closer look at the introductory notes tells me all it means is that someone somewhere at one time thought they were the same >:(.

tyb525

That 2nd picture, how did you get a cant that wide?!
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

pigman

ty, an LT 40 mizer can cut a cant 25" wide, but that picture does look like that cant is over 25" wide. Maybe it is an optical delusion. ::)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

tyb525

I knew it could cut pretty wide, but that cant looks about 3'!
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

weisyboy

god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

Slingshot

I think that 'cant' is a bunch of smaller cants or boards stacked up.  ::)

__________________________-
sling_shot

luckylager

we have a mobile dimension aswell. i canted the log on the mobile and then took pics of the cant on the woodmizer. i think it was just under 3' tall. how do you add a link to ones forum photo gallery?

Brucer

That coastal WRC is amazing stuff. It's much smaller here in the interior and anything over 20" in diameter will most likely have butt rot or center rot.

That second photo showing the 36" cant really illustrates how the lower branches break off when the tree is young; that lets the outer growth rings grow without knots. Hardly ever see that on our interior WRC :(.

Magicman

Quote from: luckylager on February 21, 2011, 11:23:28 PM
how do you add a link to ones forum photo gallery? 

If I am following your question, we can click on your "photo gallery" which is the link.  You have some very nice pictures in there.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Remember, the photo galley is simply a place to put and store photos so they can be used in posts. That is their sole purpose.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!